the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

do you find winnipeg's pothole patching machines effective?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

poll on freep site right now.. the no side is winning.. big time.. I dont think people understand the question properly
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/polls/Do-you-think-the-citys-pothole-patching-machines-are-effective-41333497.html?c=y&pollSubmitted=y&oid=1&viewResults=y&mr=1&cid=8500584&pid=41333497

I think they must be answering that they hate potholes and the city is not quick enough or something...

From the news last night.

Winnipeg spends about 1.5 million every spring on pothole repair.. it repairs 250,000 potholes. I would have to say that damn cost effective.. $6 per hole. Also.. those machines fricken ROCK!

Saturday night around 7PM I drove down route 90 from my house to silver ave. I was dodging potholes all the way, no matter which lane I was in. Sunday morning at 1145 AM... Not one pothole was left. A quick estimate would say over 300 potholes fixed... overnight.... thats damn damn damn impressive in my books. ( hell probably way more then 300 )

Anonymous

I think they're talking about those dumbass machines the city bought to spray stones and tar into the potholes.

THEY DON'T WORK WORTH A DAMN!!!

Somebody must have made a fortune under the table over that one.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Ther are effective... very effective of making a fricking mess of my car!! GRRRRR

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. if thats your car pictured in your avatar... you kind of deserve that for trying to drive in winnipeg ( just like building in a flood plain )

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:heh.. if thats your car pictured in your avatar... you kind of deserve that for trying to drive in winnipeg ( just like building in a flood plain )

no thats not my car... but I dont see why I should have to have my car covered with little tar spots splattered all over it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

in winnipeg we call them beauty spots.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh and be real careful removing them with that "tar" remover... its hell on the paint job if not done right.. but I bet you already know that.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:oh and be real careful removing them with that "tar" remover... its hell on the paint job if not done right.. but I bet you already know that.

Yep. once the majority of the pots of been fixed and the tar has hardened, I take the car to get it removed at a shop. they usually just buff it off.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

2 things,
First if you are dumb enough to drive right behind the thing or beside it while it is working...............nuff said, there are always alternative routes to take to avoid these machines while they are working.
Second, the only thing they are effective at is tying up traffic during rush hour.

Not sure why the city has them out right now anyway as it is still too cold for the "stuff" to stick around and with all the water that is in the holes, it all washes away and then they have to do it again. The city should have the salt trucks out in the morning so that people can commute safely to work in the morning. Extra fun trying to get up the grade at the McPhillips underpass this morning only to find a stalled car stuck on the ice. He was lucky he didn't roll right back into the underpass as cars were coming up from behind.

Last edited by holly golightly on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling, left off the "c" in cold)

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Those machines are out and they do a great job in reducing damage to one's vehicle.
mayor Sam's crews are darn good at getting the work done and saving a lot of hassle.
Who would complain about a temporary patck??
Oh wait this is Winnipeg and too many of us have been stuck inside the house, since December 4th/08, when our cold weather started.
JTF, GOM and myself are out at night, buck naked and dancing over the potholes! Not a pretty sight!!

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"JTF, GOM and myself are out at night, buck naked and dancing over the potholes! Not a pretty sight!!"

true... but you are supposed to use something heavy to pack the asphalt down.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

lol!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Crown Royal bottles and cigar residue seems to work, and the more Crown Royal the less we seem to care!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum