the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

so about that Northern Ontario reserve that has declared itself in emergency

+9
casualchris
St Norberter
eViL tRoLl
Stonekiller
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Mantha
Sourpuss
Deank
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26so about that Northern Ontario reserve that has declared itself in emergency - Page 2 Empty Cleaning Services Very Slow! Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 am

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

CBC news has a bimbo reporting from the reservation, and she was showed a furnace room that had a sewage back-up in 2009, and it hasn't been cleaned yet by Mr. harper!

Can anyone imagine the stupid reporter not asking the person who showed her the dirty feces, and not asking why haven't you cleaned this mess?

Does anyone in this area expect the government to send in someone to clean?

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"CBC news has a bimbo reporting from the reservation, and she was showed a
furnace room that had a sewage back-up in 2009, and it hasn't been
cleaned yet by Mr. harper!"

or by the people that live there apparently.

Anonymous

entitlement...sense of being owed a living...lack of personal ownership...mismanagement and theft....and on and on...still.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow- more numbers coming out - Costs $250,000 for one house, and the government has built 16 homes in the last 4 or 6 years.

Can you imagine those costs? And how many First Nation members are living in a 3 bedroom house? 20!

Scary mismanagement, but who would figure that the population of 1st Nation members are the fastest growing of all in Canada!

$2 Billion Harper wasted on that f c ing G20 , when that would probably have paid for 50% of Winnipegs infrastructure deficit, or 4000 homes for far northern aboriginals!

What about those numbers?

How about the $35 Billion going on $100 Billion for planes in case Iran tries to invade us?

What about the absolute lack of priorities?

How about the $100 million waste on that ugly non-square Human Rights Museum? 400 more homes not built!

SHAME! SHAME!! SHAME!!!

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Is housing covered in the treaties??

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yes!

What was a good deal for Canada 140 years ago has turned into a financing nightmare today!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

250k would buy one brand new or two used portable saw mills that would significantly reduce costs for all future buildings by having the lumber sourced locally

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I suspect that if some one has waited for 2 years , with a dirty back up on their heat source, that there is no thinking of fixing things on their own.

On the CBC, with a great bimbo reporting right from the reserve, there is another picture showing fire damaged insulation in the ceiling!

What the hell are they waiting for? Why wouldn't they fix it themselves?

You need one bale of insulation, a ladder and get up the ladder to gently push the insulation into place.

In the same house there is some rotten sub floor in front of the sink. That is more difficult- cut out the damaged piece and then install a new piece.

I think I should give them DeanK's home number, because I know that if I needed some help to fix something and I asked my neighbour DeanK for help, that neighbour would come over.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

I read through treaty 3 which seems to cover that geographical area and in terms of buildings the only thing i saw was for a school and for a building for supplies/provisions, did I miss it?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:How about the $100 million waste on that ugly non-square Human Rights Museum?

Once they open it, the public's understanding of and sympathy for, victims of rights abuses, will increase.

There will be increased public pressure, even international pressure if there are enough global visitors, to pour more tax money towards modernizing reserves. In all fairness, the Feds are trying to shed more light on how the reserves spend tax money, hoping to increase accountability.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Triniman- I have no plans of going near that place, but if you want to see it, I will buy you lunch at VJ's, and then pay your way, if you pick me up!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Triniman- I have no plans of going near that place, but if you want to see it, I will buy you lunch at VJ's, and then pay your way, if you pick me up!

We have a deal! Call me when it opens - 1-800-TRINIMAN.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I will send you a Private Message. I love VJs, would like to meet you, and I may wait for you in your car while you visit? lol

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:I will send you a Private Message. I love VJs, would like to meet you, and I may wait for you in your car while you visit? lol

Sure, what year are we talking? 2012 or 2013?

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, this is a community of 1,780 people yet, according to the financial statements, it cost $670,364 for elected officials. Interesting that they also provide the number of months each official served and it totals 182 months.

And that doesn't include the Education Authority which paid out $101,850 to elected officials.

How much government does a community of under 2,000 really need?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

And by the way, the income paid to band members is not taxable, so when you see the Chief getting $69,579, that equates to over $100,000 in the real world.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:And by the way, the income paid to band members is not taxable, so when you see the Chief getting $69,579, that equates to over $100,000 in the real world.

even more then that... the majority of the chiefs vacations are paid for and just so happen to coincide with "meetings" off reserve, not to mention the food they order in for on reserve meetings.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

I think its not being talked about much how the resident quoted at the end puts her blame with the band office instead of the feds.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There is likely "Indian fatigue" setting in. I know I'm sick and tired of hearing about the problems <5% of the population have. This small special interest group demands more and more attention...

In Manitoba this group represents about 10% of the population. Why do they consume so much of our energy?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

band tells legally appointed to go away

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/05/attawapiskat-manager-response.html

"we should focus on the crisis, not on other things," she said."

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The chief is out to lunch. This person has not clue one... Time to not only send in a third party manager by remove the chief from the community and anyone else that hampers their efforts. Throw them in prison if that is what it takes...

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

So the chief says they don't need a banker to tyrol them what to do?? How about build homes with the money you're given instead of the skating arena and zamboni?? If they had a simple outdoor rink (the kind I played on as a kid) they could have spent wayyyy more on maintaining homes. What a debacle this is turning out to be!!!! No wonder the chief wants everyone to leave, the less the white public in the city knows the better!!

Time for all Canadians to be equal!!!!!! But the FN don't want equality they want to have their children born into a life of living at the fiscal trough! If racism against the FN is to stop, ending funding based on skin color will be a good first step!!

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

What's next? White bathrooms and aboriginal bathrooms?

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Come to think of it, in some hospitals in the city there are aboriginal waiting rooms which cannot be used by whites but the 'general' rooms can be used by all

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

I find this whole situation frustrating, on one hand I see a group of people that need housing, they need something because no one should have to live like that. However on the other hand, I see a complete lack of common sense and apathy that I believe giving these people housing will only prolong the problem.

The Canadian Government has set these people up to fail. Not on purpose but by giving in to their sense of entitlement. Granted they are entitled to what is in the treaties, but when something is given like that there is no sense of accomplishment. It is just another hand out. The native leadership wonders why there is racism, and intolerance. So many of these people live up to the stereotypes that it is hard to not be somewhat jaded.

Why is no one asking the hard questions?

Ask the families with 4+ kids why you would bring more children into this environment, knowing that you can't pay for them?

Ask the chiefs of these reserves, why they feel that they should be raking in huge pay cheques and still have people shitting in buckets?

Ask the people why they would sooner live in a shanty, than use their own two hands, and use the surrounding materials to improve their lives?

These communities are remote, and with that remoteness comes challenges, I think most Canadians understand that, and there is an expectation that the government can ASSIST as needed. But there needs to be accountability, there needs to be a willingness on the part of the community to do what is needed to ensure the viability of their community. People live further north than these communities with even less resources.

As long as these communities would rather beg, than work for themselves, we will continue to have these reserves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum