the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phoenix Coyotes may be coming back to Winnipeg. Manitoba Post

+11
Outsider
EdWin
JT Estoban
winnipegceilingcat
FlyingRat
Electrician
rosencrentz
Bartron
wpg_idiot
Deank
grumpy old man
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

That is a real possibility .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FlyingRat wrote:Turn Hargrave into a tunnel!

yeah well at the time it was really not a big deal at all.. but the save the eatons people came out full force...

Turned out to be a good thing in my opinion since the MTS Centre ended up short 1.5 million that needed to be coughed up by the city anyway.. so if it did end up even larger then it would have just cost the city even more extra dollars.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Charge creatively.

Toronto and Montreal will sell out every seat in a heartbeat. Charge accordingly. Nobody will pay to see NYI. Charge accordingly.

Everyone will want the seats on centre ice between the blue lines. Charge accordingly. Nobody will want to pay for upper deck end zone seats. Charge accordingly.

Keep the building full all the time. Max the food concessions and beer and wine and liquor.

Make it a happening place. They could generate $40 - $50 million annually easily just on ticket sales. Add in $20 - $30 million on concessions. How much for souvenirs? Radio and TV? Boxes? What else?

Yes. It could work and easily break even. Mark Chipman have learned how to run a professional sports team. The Moose are easily the class of the AHL.

Anonymous

I agree it is the franchise fee that might be tough .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think they can simply take over Hargrave and expand. The way I understand it they needed Hargrave at the time it was first built. Any engineers in the sandbox?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:I agree it is the franchise fee that might be tough .
Only if they have to pay one. If another owner strikes up a deal with Chipman to move the team here I suspect that problem disappears.

But if there was the additional franchise fee cost involved that might make it very difficult.

Anonymous

Would not Canadas freind Gary want one .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

It would be difficult to expand now, but not impossible. Way more expensive then worthy it most likely.
It would be far cheaper to throw a real dome on the new stadium and have them play hockey our of there.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Dunno about that Deank. Where is the sandbox engineer?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

trust me GOM okay.. not impossible. Nothing is impossible when it comes to building a building.

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

why would we want them back?? they still suck and no one after the novelty has worn off will want to go and watch them continue to lose.

Anonymous

The after the novelty part troubles me too .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It is important to note the Jets had good attendance (far better than many Southern state teams) for their life in Winnipeg. Despite year after year after year of average to below average teams.

Anonymous

Yes they did and really if the city would have agreed to the changes and a new arena they may be still here . The Wpg Enterprise,s were the problem the team needed more money from each game and they were unable to get it out of City Hall till it was too late . If we had given them control over the old barn till they had built a new one they might have been saved .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You might well be right...

Anonymous

According to Shenkrow that is really the only reason it was not viable here he did not control or get the revenue from concessions or advertising . All teams do and have for ages the only way they can pay the bills . Most own their arena

Anonymous

Beer is expensive for that reason .

Anonymous

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/05/05/spphoenixbalsillie.html?ref=rss
Well there is the answer to this thought not a done deal but it is there for the league to look at , if they don't know by now that hockey doe's not work in LA

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

LA? Of course you meant Phoenix. This does not surprise me at all. I expect several teams might be in an equally tenuous position. Nashville. Florida. Atlanta. New York Islanders.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It was announced that mayor sam is looking into the possibility of moving Winnipeg to Southern Ontario using rapid transit as the means of re-locating most Winnipegers, and Ikea looking after all the new furnishings!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Good Post! Some how I can see him or someother Winnipeger doing that. To bad we decieded to go after hog barns years ago instead of high tech as it was rumored he wanted to set up here but could not get the tax breaks he wanted no payroll tax .

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Well, looks like the old Jet's are going to be moving to Hamilton now that they are officially bankrupt!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Phoenix/2009/05/06/9367286-sun.html

Anonymous

They may have to kill Betman first though.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Boggles the mind how that guy has BS'd his way through the NHL board of governors for so long. One would have thought that it was obvious by now their little experiment of NHL in the south is a failure. Ditto the US TV contracts they've signed in the last few years. I guess as long as moneyed people keep thrusting bagful's of US dollars into their hands that's good enough...

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:They may have to kill Betman first though.

So much the better....how soon can we start? Rolling Eyes

I like the way Balsillie is going about this....it's about time we had some rich Canadian's buying back our teams and moving them to hockey markets that actauly are hockey markets!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JT Estoban wrote:
JTF wrote:They may have to kill Betman first though.

I like the way Balsillie is going about this....it's about time we had some rich Canadian's buying back our teams and moving them to hockey markets that actauly are hockey markets!

There is only so much 5 people can do though

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum