the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the Mosquito Report in Your part of Winnipeg?

+6
eViL tRoLl
grumpy old man
Northlands
Deank
EdWin
rosencrentz
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Its a complex calculation, but normally only around 100ish. but can start as soon as AFA is "HIGH" which means nothing really since city wide we are "HIGH" at 15

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

EdWin wrote:
Sourpuss wrote:
EdWin wrote:
Sourpuss wrote:Mmm. That gives me something to look forward to, fo 'sho. That said, I don't find this any worse than growing up in Northern BC. We lived in a valley surrounded by moose-bogs and rivers.

Where in Northern BC?

This miserable dump. Ever heard of it? http://www.kitimat.ca/

Most of my classmates ended up in Alberta because there's no work in Hicksville anymore. My Facebook feed from the Edmonton area folk corroborates your mosquito complaints/sightings. It sounds like it's really bad there this summer.

Hahaha. My co-workers husband is from there. He, along with most people there apparently, think it's a dump as well. I've been there and can't say I found it appealing; sorry. Terrace itself was moderately better, as was Prince Rupert. Smithers on the other hand is a gorgeous, well-kept town. I'm glad I have work sites out there so I can stay and enjoy the town, especially Twin Falls.

Ha. Everyone from Kitimat is related through marriage or incestual inbreeding, so I probably know the dude/share his genetics. It's actually a very pretty town, and was not a bad place to grow up in it's more prosperous years. Now it's depressing and desperate. I HATE Terrace, and Prince Rupert is meh. Smithers IS lovely and has vastly underrated skiing opportunities.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

On the local 'skeeters: they were eating us alive last week, and this week? They've all vanished. They've been replaced by erratic, spastic moths and corpulent black flies. Did the city fog this week, or are they out looking for tasty Transcona cougar?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Sourpuss wrote:On the local 'skeeters: they were eating us alive last week, and this week? They've all vanished. They've been replaced by erratic, spastic moths and corpulent black flies. Did the city fog this week, or are they out looking for tasty Transcona cougar?

dragon flies ate them all.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

I haven't seen any dragon flies this week either. Last week they were hanging off of our stucco and hanging off my flowers, but now it's moths. Moths, moths, moths.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the wind blew them all away?

Anonymous

I watered some flower beds this morning and as long as I stayed on the concrete sidewalks, I had no problems.

However, the moment I walked through the grass, I was swarmed by those little buggers.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Here is a view of swarms of skeeters in the Grande Prairie area:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150307979695935&set=o.151369908231405&type=1&theater
These have also been spotted around the edmonton area too.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Edmonton puts Winnipeg mosquito numbers to shame
9:50am
[email=bdriedger@iNews880.com?Subject=Response from iNews880.com]Click here to email Brenton Driedger[/email]
7/13/2011

You might be fed up with the mosquitoes this summer, but at least they're not as bad as in Winnipeg.

Think again. Edmonton's trap count is at 30. At that level, Winnipeg usually starts city-wide fogging. But right now, Winnipeg's trap count is only at six and holding. Edmonton's is expected to climb this week, and the city is only talking about doing "spot spraying" at some festivals....not carpet bombing the city to kill the pests.

Some argue that matching trap counts from different cities is like comparing apples and oranges, but both cities do use the same light traps.
What is the Mosquito Report in Your part of Winnipeg? - Page 3 MosquitoEven though the mosquitoes seem really bad in Edmonton this summer, at least we're still better off than Winnipeg, right?

Wrong. Edmonton's trap count is at 30. At that level, Winnipeg usually starts city-wide fogging. But right now, Winnipeg's trap count is only at six and holding. Edmonton's is expected to climb this week, and the city is only talking about doing "spot spraying" at some festivals, not carpet bombing the city to kill the pests.

Some argue that matching trap counts from different cities is like comparing apples and oranges, but both cities do use the same light traps. (bd,mb)

http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1456548

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

In SW Ontario trap counts in the 100s are the norm and no one complains. And those buggers are big and cause nasty welts that fester for weeks.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think Winnipeg starts spraying at 30! Is this a lie? Are you trying to embarass us Winnipegers? Please check our City entomologist, Taz with the great hair for the right number! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

we dont use trap numbers to spray we use AFA level of HIGH which can get to high for many reasons. right now we are at high with only 8 skeeters.. but yeah we normally dont carpet domb till 100ish

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm starting to get pissed off with the snivelling, waterlogged BC folk snidely crowing "Too bad you have to live with all of those mosquitos! The size of helicopters!" Actually, a$$holes, if you'd actually step away from metro-Vancouver for a while and head north a few hours, you'll be eaten alive. This is NOT worse than where I grew up. At all.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

When I first moved to winnipeg I laughed at the mosquitoes that people complained about. The breed in northern areas is larger and bite harder and there is just simply way more of them.

Alas after several years of being citified.. the ones down here can actually be annoying at times.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

The northern ones are indestructible too. When they bite, you get welts, and the itch is ungodly. These ones are feeble. My kids have one or two really good ones, but other than that, meh.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Report on CBC this morning says Taz is attributing the low counts to larvaciding ($6M worth) which is basically spraying without fogging.

Some other guy got on and said it was actually because of all the high-water...that the fast moving rivers are making the normal breeding grounds unfavorable to mosquito production.

Either way...they are definitely coming out now. Last night we were getting swarmed by them in the West End...when only a few days ago there weren't any.

And apparently Mayor Sammy has announced "buffer zones be damned" about the fogging process.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"And apparently Mayor Sammy has announced "buffer zones be damned" about the fogging process."

?????

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

that one i can't credit.

someone i was talking with last night said they heard/read/saw it somewhere...could just be a rumour

http://www.photage.ca

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

If the entomologists find mosquitoes in the traps that are the West Nile virus carriers, then the buffer zones are automatically withdrawn as it then becomes a health issue. I haven't heard that there have been any West Nile virus type mosquitoes in the traps but then again I don't read the news nor do I listen the news on TV.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why should we spray just because of WNV?

Yes I know people could die, and I know some have and some have also become very sick and resulted in permanent brain damage. But.. are we all actually immune to WNV by now? Thats a very interesting question that would be nice to answer.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Not a skeeter to be seen at Bomber game last night. Too windy?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah... too much competition from the bombers sucking....
Razz

I kid!

Anonymous

Deank wrote:Why should we spray just because of WNV?

Yes I know people could die, and I know some have and some have also become very sick and resulted in permanent brain damage. But.. are we all actually immune to WNV by now? Thats a very interesting question that would be nice to answer.

If you have had it....and you'll sure know if you have had it...you will develope a certain amount of immunity....but it's after the fact....which could be too late.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

No actually you wont know if you have had it. Far from it.

Most (80%) dont even get a hint of sick and as such they dont have a clue

Of those that get sick.. Most ( 98%) only get a little sick where it could simply be a normal flu and as such they wont automatically assume or know for a fact it was WNV. Even if you go to the doctor the likelihood of them testing you to verify is very remote.

Of the minority 3rd type of reaction (2% of 20% of total who get sick so about 1 in 200 people).. yeah you will know. But it is such a small amount that actually know you can not use that to determine what percentage of the population has had it.

EVERYONE who gets either 1,2 or 3 is in fact completely immune after the fact.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I would much rather prevent something from happening than have to deal with the potential after effects and long term care and cost that may be associated with a disease that can cause so many differing conditions. My personal opinion of course as well as having personal contact with someone who has had a mild case and is now suffering some pretty drastic changes to his lifestyle and medical care. Before contact he was an extremely active, healthy athlete who is now not able to do half of what he used to do. Most of what he is dealing with is neurological so can become very costly down the road to care for.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh I understand that. Its quite frankly a terrible outcome. But what if we as a society are 99.99% immune already? Or 60% immune? should we not track this until we reach 99.99% immunity? Heck, why dont we offer a freakin shot for immunity?

Better yet why dont we actually target the carrier of the disease instead of the mosquito which just gets it from the carrier and passes it on to a human?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum