the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the Mosquito Report in Your part of Winnipeg?

+6
eViL tRoLl
grumpy old man
Northlands
Deank
EdWin
rosencrentz
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Charleswood- 2 spotted in the last 4 days!

http://www.elansofas.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

With all the monsoon-type rain falling in the Edmonton area, the mosquitoes are being forcasted to be very bad for a good chunk of the summer. You can't even go for a run in the evening without being attacked. And they are big mofo's. Also, the City of Edmonton cut out $200,000 from the insect control budget this year.......................great.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

We have kept hearing predictions of bad mosquitoes now for over two weeks... still nothing to talk about in most areas.

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Next to none in West K so far.

Anonymous

We were outside all day yeaterday without one single bite. So far this season, I reckon I've had only two or three bites total. Not bad.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We barbequed in our backyard, in the shade of our house and spotted only 1 mosquito in the 3 hours that we absolutely had the greatest time being outside without being attacked by mosquitoes.
I am quite neurotic about bugs, so this was really special enjoyment for me!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's because mosquitoes don't like the shade.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

As soon as you step outside onto my patio, they swarm you. It's disgusting.
How in the hell have you managed to avoid this plague, considering the amount of standing water that must still be in place from all the precipitation that has fallen over the last few months?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are you in Winnipeg EdWin?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

average city.. 10.

one area (mine???) 123.

http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/bugline/mosquitoes/trapcounts.stm

helps that it gets nice a cool out many evenings. Last thursday it got down to 3 degrees.. before climbing to 44 with the humidex later in the day.

Even the mosquitoes have said "nuts to this" and moved on to a better climate Razz

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Are you in Winnipeg EdWin?

Nope, I'm talking about my own condo out here. I've never seen them this bad out here before. If you want some, let me know and I'll ship a couple hundred billion your way.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

I have been biking all over the city for the weekend, from perimeter to perimeter and have not encountered a mosquito. Ran into lots of dragonflies, though.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

yeah...no mosquitoes in my area yet either.

I've seen about a dozen dragonflies around our yard...and about the same number of wasps...

http://www.photage.ca

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Went for a run yesterday evening at Kildonan Park on the new pathway behind the golf course. Not a mosquito in site. We were also at the Forks for Canada Day and nothing there either. Lots of dragonflies and I also saw quite a few bats in the trees behind the golf course so that may be why we are enjoying the evenings right now. BUT they could be coming...

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is there any truth in the statement made earlier that mosquitoes don't like the shade?

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

The bastards are all here in my yard in North RH. Hubby and I killed about 20 of them during dinner last night, and I've been frying them with the Bug Paddle all morning. My children are walking lumps of itching hell.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

just wait until they get bit by the malathion resistant skeeters... THOSE ONES leave huge welts.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Mmm. That gives me something to look forward to, fo 'sho. That said, I don't find this any worse than growing up in Northern BC. We lived in a valley surrounded by moose-bogs and rivers.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sourpuss wrote:Mmm. That gives me something to look forward to, fo 'sho. That said, I don't find this any worse than growing up in Northern BC. We lived in a valley surrounded by moose-bogs and rivers.

Where in Northern BC?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I haven't noticed any skeeters in my yard. My hubby has a ton of bites from our long weekend in Nutimik. Lots of skeeters, black flies and horse flies in the Whiteshell.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have not really noticed a plethora of any insects, as yet... I can't imagine the mosquito thing not becoming more problematic soon though what with all the water...

ps to deank, the diversion of 'skeeters to North River Heights seems to have worked. Thanks for that...

Anonymous

Doing some gardening in the last few days and have found the mosquitoes are here in a big way.

I'm pretty sure I saw a mosquito biting a dragon fly yesterday.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Okay, so not only do I get swarmed when in my backyard, going for a run in my neighborhood and working outside, NOW when the car is idle at an intersection they attack you in your car when the window is open. Seriously, you have to HAUL a$$ outside from point a to point b anywhere you go around here and in most of Alberta if you don't want to get at least 20 bites per minute. It's disgusting how bad they are out here, day and night. We are under attack! You can hear them humming when my patio door is open in the evening, no word of a lie. In living in Winnipeg for 21 years, I have never recalled them being as persistent and relentless as they are in Edmonton this year, and I think I'm qualified to make that statement based on life experience in both cities.
Oh, and did I mention that the next seven days calls for rain, rain and more rain and also that they cut the insect control budget for the City of Edmonton by 200K this year?!?!?! Help...........................

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Apparently we will get no mosquito relief this summer!
Edmonton mosquito numbers up

CBC News

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 3:30 PM MT

Last Updated: Jul 4, 2011 7:07 PM MT

Read 22 comments22Back to accessibility linksWhat is the Mosquito Report in Your part of Winnipeg? Li-jenkins-mosquitosEdmonton mosquito expert Mike Jenkins checks a mosquito trap Monday. (CBC)

Beginning of Story Content

If you're tired of scratching your ankles after a night on the deck, too bad. Edmonton's mosquitoes are here to stay.
After a decade of drought, the pests are back in force.
"We're getting back to what is normal," said the city's mosquito expert Mike Jenkins.
Unfortunately most people's memories only go back two or three years when there were record low counts.
But this year's numbers are nowhere near what they were in the early 1980s when it was not unusual to find more than a hundred thousand of the pests in traps each week, said Jenkins.
City biologists will check trap numbers Tuesday, but recent counts are in the hundreds per trap, about 30 to 40 per cent of what is normal.
The latest batch, Edmonton's most common summer species Aedes vexans, come from a hatch following rains two weeks ago.
Aircraft breakdowns and breezy mornings has limited what spraying the city could do in the last couple of weeks, said Jenkins, so unless drier conditions return, there's little relief in sight.
So expect these small, fast-flying, stealthy, ankle biters to be around for the rest of the summer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/07/04/edmonton-mosquitos-july.html

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What is the hair fascination mosquito experts seem to have?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum