the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

so that Alzheimer patient is back in jail and his victim has died this time

+4
Mantha
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Alzheimer's is like any other disease that turns people violent. Look at Li. He is no different. But because he has serious violent impulses he must be watched and we must be protected from him.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Alzheimer's is like any other disease that turns people violent. Look at Li. He is no different. But because he has serious violent impulses he must be watched and we must be protected from him.

Alzheimer's is not like any other disease, similar to what Li suffers from. With Li, his mental illness can be controlled by meds, Which makes him very very different. Alzheimer's has no know medication that can "control" the symptoms. It has been stated before in this thread, unless you have first hand knowledge of this disease, you will never know to what extent how horrible this disease is.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Let's not make this more than it is. It's horrible. I get it.

In the unfortunate case we are talking about the public must be protected from the gentleman because he has a mental disease that makes him unpredictably violent. Just the same as Li.

BTW I have first hand knowledge. I'm still not an expert.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

As I said before, we will disagree on some aspects of this. I happen to disagree to the point that you cannot compare Alzheimer's to any other type of mental illness. Even on medication, an Alzheimer's victim can be unpredictable, but in the case of the type of mental illness Li suffers from, the violence can be controlled through medication.

I don't claim to be an expert either, just someone who has been through the gauntlet 3 times and I have done some pretty extensive research, book wise as well as having myself genetically tests to see if I am looking at the worst case scenario.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

holly I think we all quite realize how horrible it is and I dont think we need first hand knowledge of that fact.

(first hand BTW would be you having it yourself)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

BTW I have first hand knowledge.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/probe-death-family-says-118898469.html

"
The family of a man who died Monday night following an incident at a
personal care home is demanding a provincial inquiry into the
circumstances that led to his death.

"My father's death will not be in vain," the late Frank Alexander's son, Michael, said Tuesday.

"We will do all we can to bring to light issues in the system," said
the Ottawa-area man who is in Winnipeg making funeral arrangements for
his father. "There has to be a detailed inquiry.""
Finally an inquiry I believe is necessary. No pussy footing around this needs to be launched ASAP.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The ndp usually takes YEARS to call an inquiry. The latest one? SIX years for baby Phoenix Sinclair murdered by his mother.

How does an inquiry SIX years after the fact help anyone? Is this Filmon's fault also?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. oh we have to wait for the entire criminal process to be completed....

NOT.. so very fuckin not.

Anonymous

What a very costly inquiry would prove is beyond me.
With all due respect, I think the family is just venting, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

What went wrong here is pretty evident.

What needs to be done is not so evident, but an inquiry wouldn't accomplish anything that a Legislative Committe or something else like it, couldn't come up with.

More vigilance is required. There. Done.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"
What needs to be done is not so evident, but an inquiry wouldn't
accomplish anything that a Legislative Committe or something else like
it, couldn't come up with."

ah true.. could go with that. obviously something went wrong and needs to be fixed. dont need to be an official inquiry.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

BTW I have first hand knowledge.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Rolling Eyes

Anonymous

LOL. I got it but Deano didn't seem to. ???

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no I got it... it just was an eye roller.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

No. It was good. It is clear you've no real sense of humour... Smile

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't get it. Tragic as this is, the guy is obviously suffering from a well diagnosed mental disorder. So, what is a trial going to determine? How can he stand trial? What the hell do they do, wait until he has a lucid moment?

I mean in no way to minimize the death of the victim and the impact on his family, but it seems that our system provided more breaks to Vince Li.

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Alzheimer's is like any other disease that turns people violent. Look at Li. He is no different. But because he has serious violent impulses he must be watched and we must be protected from him.
lol!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You find that funny? Care to explain?

Anonymous

Alzheimer's makes one act weird sometimes.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Indeed. I found that unexplained response quite peculiar.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well aint that awesome.. the chiefs are calling for better care on reserve because of this incident.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Chiefs-calling-for-better-elder-care-after-seniors-death-119070794.html

not that I disagree. Elders all of stripes should be able to enter personal care homes at least reasonably close to where they live but this is NOT something that should be driven by a race issue.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm surprised that it took this long for the chief's to react. I thought there would have been a reaction when he "assaulted" his wife a few months ago. But typical, they need to have their 15 minutes of press time. Sorry that the fact you chose to live in a remote community and when conditions arose, you were "forced" to move closer to medical care. Would they (family and/or chief's) have cried "foul" if he would have been stricken with diabetes or renal failure or cancer???

Anonymous

Alzheimer's is like any other disease that turns people violent

Can you prove this statement and think about what you are saying the key is turns and other , and remeber i have more background then you . For that fact so doe,s my wife she ran an program at Deer Lodge for 20 plus years . I am not saying they are not violent just that Alzheimers is not the cause of violence .

Anonymous

Sorry that the fact you chose to live in a remote community and when conditions arose

Did they choose or did they get put there ? Just a thought .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Alzheimer's is like any other disease that turns people violent

Can you prove this statement and think about what you are saying the key is turns and other , and remeber i have more background then you . For that fact so doe,s my wife she ran an program at Deer Lodge for 20 plus years . I am not saying they are not violent just that Alzheimers is not the cause of violence .
So you figured the best way to educate was to use the "LOL" emoticon? I am impressed.

Whatever. Prove what? Was the fellow not "violent" out of character? If someone uncharacteristically becomes violent while suffering from a mental illness could one not use the phrase "turns violent"? Are we seriously arguing semantics on the turn of a phrase?

Whatever. I'm up to the challenge. I googled "does alzheimer's turn people unusually violent?" and received more than 3 million results. I picked just the first couple to post here so readers can easily discover my findings.
There are two main reasons why people with dementia may turn violent:

Personality changes brought on by the disease include loss of inhibition and self-control. A mild-mannered individual may do things he or she never would have previously.

Emotional or physical discomfort is the top trigger for physical aggression. The person feels insecure, threatened, angry, tired, embarrassed, humiliated, or otherwise vulnerable but lacks the ability to communicate these emotions in a socially acceptable way.

Read more: http://www.caring.com/articles/alzheimers-hostile-aggression#ixzz1IMsq8GYU

* Families struggle to balance their desire to care for patient versus their safety

* 5-10% of Alzheimer's patients become violent

Read more: http://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/news-03-2011/when_alzheimer_s_turns_violent.html

Whatever. This is not a matter of who is smarter than the other. It is an opportunity to teach and learn. You know, like Holly did.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum