the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

is Time In Jail Too Easy

+10
Electrician
AGEsAces
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
Deank
FlyingRat
Miz point
Freeman
rosencrentz
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty is Time In Jail Too Easy Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Anonymous

Just got back from the hill and was amazed at all the sitting around they do . I always wonder would not the time go faster doing something worth while , IE work or getting a degree or grade 12 .
Should not the perps be doing something more worthwhile with there time , or be made to . It strikes me they have it to easy .

2is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:08 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We are off the street and cannot re-offend while locked up!

You should have come in to say hello to me!

Were you visiting your Dad? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

3is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 am

Anonymous

Bothers me that I pay them to do nothing cause, I can't make them as it is agaisnt there rights. Even the act of cleaning other then their cell is pretty well done for them , most of these perps are either lazy or dense . The later is the majority most are lucky to sign there name 's to the forms , this is the last time I have to go. I will not renew the contract with Corrections Canada as the system is lost to the rights of crminals and losers .

Sad to say this is why we are losing control of the law as the rights groups have taken over and weakend it forever. The police are not the enemy , nor the judges , it is all of the cry babys who scream rights every time they are in trouble . We have allowed this to happen as a group and it is up to us to stop it .

4is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pav's right, it is up to us. So next election, I know he'll vote for a tough on crime stance.

5is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So what would you propose as an alternative to the cushy jail life that you have witnessed? I do not mind seeing education programs for inmates, ie: getting literacy skills or the attainment of at least a GED or minor trade certificate - anything to keep them from going back to crime once they are released. That is the shame, how many habitual, chronic offenders keep entering into our gaols. There is not one good reason in a civilised society for this to be happening.

Would be nice if all crooks were like the Ocean's 11, 12 and 13 bunch....classy, smart, witty and sensitive.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

6is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Yeah, it seems life in jail can be really fun:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Headingley_jail_officers_fired.html

Sources say the officer was seen getting her hair braided and exchanging touches with an inmate under a table in the common area of the unit that houses members of the Mad Cowz and African Mafia street gangs.

Months earlier, another woman was dismissed after rumours began swirling inside the jail that she was having inappropriate sexual contact with another gang member, including meeting him inside a storage closet.

A third female correctional officer was also let go recently after allegedly being caught smoking marijuana while on duty at the medium-security jail on the western outskirts of Winnipeg.

7is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Anonymous

How about some jail time period?

If you keep them in long enough they won't need 'programs'. When they get out they can collect social security or old age pension.

8is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Maybe judges should start making the time in jail not a specific time, rather a specific task must be completed.
ie..
I sentance you to your GED and a trade certificate. Until such time as you have obtained both you will stay in Jail.

9is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The first reason for incarceration is to get these people out of society for our protection. Nobody said it was supposed to be pretty and nice, but perhaps making it unpleasant enough that they don't want to go back.
Inmates should be given the opportunity like the rest of us. If you want to live by the rules, work hard and make a contribution then there are benefits; education, skill training, potential for opportunities on release. If you want to be an asshole, well, enjoy your stay.

Seems to me that our feel good, treat everyone the same approach puts those with the potential for rehabilitation with the hardened criminals. Doesn't make sense to me to lump them all together and make petty criminals into full fledged gang members.

10is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:35 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How about they work while in jail? All the monies they make will go to the victim and/or victims families? How about they get fed cheap food, no pop only water or milk.

11is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:39 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is the best idea I've heard yet!
Deank wrote:Maybe judges should start making the time in jail not a specific time, rather a specific task must be completed.
ie..
I sentance you to your GED and a trade certificate. Until such time as you have obtained both you will stay in Jail.
I have always maintained that convicts must always take a course to improve themselves. Grade 12 diploma/GED; Diploma; Degree. Have a guidance councilor discuss the convicts interests and get the ball rolling.

When they leave prison they have the diploma/degree they need to become a productive citizen.

12is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Agreed - which is why I am a proponent of education in jails and not of the gang discourse. I agree that those who are not habitual or hardened crims be housed with that ilk....remember the film BLOW? That was how George learned about the coke trade.

13is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How about this.8 hours a day of school Monday to Friday whilst in jail . or 10 hours per day at hard labour?

If you fail your classes you are kicked out of school and put in the hard labour group.

14is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:13 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe let's take a spin on something that Freeman posted. Let's have the criminals work at a minimal wage and once they have built up a small bank account, they can then enrol in an educational program that is mandatory as part of their sentence and release. They then work mornings to continue to replenish the bank account and attend school in the afternoon and evening if needed. Part of the education they will receive will be a physical education class so that they will be allowed to have their daily exercise. Once they have "graduated" from whatever program the sentence required great, they have then "earned" their Degree/GED/Diploma. If (not likely to happen but if) the convict is already educated enough to not warrant having to take more classes, then make them teach or assist with the teaching at a minimal wage. Education at a higher level is not a right but a priviledge and should not be free regardless of who they are.

15is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oooooo..... I like the sound of that.. make them earn the education first...can still do it while in jail.

Lets keep this going this is getting real good.

16is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

holly golightly wrote:Maybe let's take a spin on something that Freeman posted. Let's have the criminals work at a minimal wage and once they have built up a small bank account, they can then enrol in an educational program that is mandatory as part of their sentence and release. They then work mornings to continue to replenish the bank account and attend school in the afternoon and evening if needed. Part of the education they will receive will be a physical education class so that they will be allowed to have their daily exercise. Once they have "graduated" from whatever program the sentence required great, they have then "earned" their Degree/GED/Diploma. If (not likely to happen but if) the convict is already educated enough to not warrant having to take more classes, then make them teach or assist with the teaching at a minimal wage. Education at a higher level is not a right but a priviledge and should not be free regardless of who they are.

So...we want to pay the criminals for breaking the law...to go to school and get an education which we as taxpayers would have to pay out of our own pocket in ADDITION to our rent/mortgage/bills if we wanted to go.

I recently just looked at a trades program I'd like to attend...$400/course...minimum of 12 courses to complete the program.

I don't know the actual statistic...but I'd bet at least 1/2 of those inmates at least completed Grade 12...or a GED. They still believe crime is better than "working" for a living.

I wish I could remember the movie...I think it was an HBO thing...where they had a prison with no walls. Everyone had an implant in their brain which, if they crossed over a certain line on the grounds, would trigger sever hallucinations which makes the inmate believe they are being burned alive, and makes them turn back. Supposedly it turned the prison into some kind of "utopia" aside from the storyline introduced to challenge it.

These people are criminals...and education would be great...if they might actually learn...but they won't. They aren't children who you can say "learn or else". They have 30-60 YEARS of developing into the criminal they are...and we hope to change them with a couple years of "classroom time"?

Extreme measures are called for when it comes to criminals..ESPECIALLY repeat offenders who have been released and returned. What NEEDS to happen is to stop babying these lowlifes and recognize that they have NO RIGHTS..."human" or otherwise. That these people have been incarcerated for violating SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHTS, and have therefore had there's removed. They should, therefore, be available for various "hard labour" work, or medical testing, or experimental solutions to help correct their behaviours.

http://www.photage.ca

17is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Medical testing eh? Hmmmmm....at the very least I could think of one thing - automatic neutering and spaying.

18is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well yeah repeat offenders... sorry but crime after doing time and its triple time for you. crime again after that and its triple time all in solitary. Give em a chance. a small chance. and not all crimes would qualify. kidnapping Murder, rape, attempted of either one of those... sorry but its dungeon time for you.

19is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think there is a solution here. We don't have to educate repeat offenders or 60 year old evil doers. But an 18 year old (or 20, 22, 25, 28 year old) should be given an opportunity to improve himself. We could lock him away for a long time but that may not serve him and us well.

20is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Do not forget the growing number of violent and habitual young female offenders. That group scares the crap out of me being that they are often already mothers.

21is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I've met some of those female offenders. When they get older, their kids play soccer.

22is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

But they do work and earn a measly wage which right now they are allowed to spend as they please, mostly on drugs, so why not make the wage they earn pay for something mandatory? Maybe if repeat offenders were educated they may not have become repeat offenders????????????? They would have been given an option, a choice to make. It is then up to them to make the choice right or wrong and suffer the consequences, good or bad.

23is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Right on Holly. Make them pay restitution. Even a meager amount means something.

24is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh they used to use convicts for all sorts of dangerous items that would allow them to be free from jail if they survived the event

Chopping the timber for a boat lauch comes to mind. IT was either spend rest of life in jail... or try chopping this piece of wood.. and jumping out of the way of the 10 ton boat...

25is Time In Jail Too Easy Empty Re: is Time In Jail Too Easy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

how far back are we talking?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum