the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ignatieff says his Libs would consider financial funding for Quebec City arena

+4
Freeman
Outsider
Deank
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Holy Jeebus. Talk about political pandering at its' very worst. Is it any wonder Canadians have become so jaded about politics?

If ever there was a time to vote AGAINST iggy this is the time.

Ignatieff says his Libs would consider financial funding for Quebec City arena

By: Martin Ouellet, The Canadian Press

QUEBEC - Michael Ignatieff used a visit to Quebec City to mock the reluctance of the federal government to spend money on a proposed sports arena in the provincial capital.
The Liberal leader wouldn't commit himself to any dollar figure for the arena, which is now having its estimated $400 million cost split evenly between the provincial and Quebec City municipal governments.

Ignatieff took a subtle dig at the Conservatives, who kept putting off a final decision on arena funding by saying they were waiting for a more detailed business plan.
The government announced, in the end, that said would not contribute to the actual arena but could help fund the infrastructure that surrounded it.

"I'm in Opposition, I never received a business plan," Ignatieff said in French.

"There are several possibilities and I am open to all possibilities. What I can tell you is that I'm not there to make the sidewalks."

Ignatieff is fighting an uphill political battle in the provincial capital region, where his party trails the Bloc Quebecois, the Conservatives and the NDP.

But he prepared his sales pitch for Quebec votes in the next election, casting his party as the only alternative for people who want to get rid of the Conservatives.

On the arena issue, for example, the only party that could deliver federal cash would be the Liberals.

"During the election, there will be an alternative: the Conservatives who say no, the NDP which can do nothing, the Bloc which cannot deliver and a Liberal party that can deliver the goods," he said during a news conference.

Possible arena funding wasn't the only promise Ignatieff made during his visit, which came as election speculation swirled around a possible federal government defeat in the coming weeks.

He also said a federal government led by him would settle the contentious fight over sales-tax harmonization — a move which Quebec says should bring it $2.2 billion.
Ignatieff noted Ottawa has concluded deals with Ontario and British Columbia since 2009 but not with Quebec.

"It's a question of political will," he said. "For me, it's a question of fairness.

"What was given to British Columbia and Ontario, should be given to Quebec. That's my position and of the Liberal Party of Canada. I tell you, if the harmonization issue is not resolved before the next election, I guarantee you that once elected prime minister, I will settle it."

Responding to a question from a local businessman, Ignatieff also reiterated his support for a high-speed train in the Quebec City-Windsor corridor. Like the original national railway over a century ago, he said, a high-speed modern line would bolster Canadian unity.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Well thats one way to ensure you loose all seats outside Quebec.

I know I am going to contact my MP tomorrow and ask that he stand up AGAINST this type of reckless spending.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I think its desperation on Iggy's part. He probably feels its now or never.
IE: If he does not win the election this time, its back to academia for him.

Anonymous

This is a desperate move by a desperate party.

I think it will piss off more people than it will appease.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Desperation indeed. Does iggy not understand Canadians don't want governments funding arenas? He and his handlers are not very sharp...

Anonymous

Heh....I wonder if someone in the party is setting him up....perhaps even the Liberals are fed up with his inability to do much of anything. No question he is much worse than Dion.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Imagine THAT! Worse than dion...

Who'd a'thunk the liberals could trot out a one-two punch of dion-iggy. Gotta admit it will look brilliant if Trudeau is the next liberal leader.

Anonymous

Who thunk you two would miss the real problem with this story that we in English canada have to kiss their a$$ Quebec to get a majority goverment and you can thank all of the parties for that .

And do you really believe that the Harperites won,t find a way to do it under the table get fricking real , they have to their majority rest on it .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Liberals doing what Liberals do best. Why doesn't he just promise that if elected, he'll drop money out of an airplane.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:a) Who thunk you two would miss the real problem with this story that we in English canada have to kiss their a$$ Quebec to get a majority goverment and you can thank all of the parties for that .

2) And do you really believe that the Harperites won,t find a way to do it under the table get fricking real , they have to their majority rest on it .
a) What makes you believe that aspect was missed? That's what the "political pandering" comment alluded to.

2) I have already stated in the sandbox that the conservatives HAVE ALREADY set up the needed mechanism to provide Quebec with some moola for their arena.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Anonymous

I musta' missed that. What mechanism do you speak of? (I thought that Harper was very clear in his position...no money.)

If he is doing it under the table, what would be the advantage to him then? The risk of it being found out would greatly outweight the positive aspect.imo

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Recall the discussion a short while ago where the conservatives announced they were changing the rules regarding what was considered acceptable under Federal infrastructure rules? It was around the time the discussion of federal funding for that arena was taking some heat.

It was my assertion at the time that the rules were loosened specifically to allow the Quebecois to take Federal Infrastructure money and use it on the arena. Prior to the change arean's etc. were specifically excluded.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I saw his speach, and he dd not promise money for a business owner, he said if it was a community centre type.
I have decided to vote Liberal , even though I am a card carrying Conservative. Way too many bed signs of neurotic harper, control freak harper, Break the laws Harper, don't let any one say anything or answer anyone!
Oh wait , that is the damn reporters giving Harper extremely poor coverage, a continuation of the way they treated Brian Mulroney, Canada's 2nd best P.M.!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Recall the discussion a short while ago where the conservatives announced they were changing the rules regarding what was considered acceptable under Federal infrastructure rules? It was around the time the discussion of federal funding for that arena was taking some heat.

It was my assertion at the time that the rules were loosened specifically to allow the Quebecois to take Federal Infrastructure money and use it on the arena. Prior to the change arean's etc. were specifically excluded.

But after that Charest announced that they were going to do it without the Feds. That seems pretty clear no?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah.. Feds are still saying.

SHOW US A BUSINESS PLAN.. and we might think about it

Not an unreasonable demand I would say.

Anonymous

No. They finally said no to funding the arena but would consider some infrastructure stuff.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/ignatieff-says-his-libs-would-consider-financial-funding-for-quebec-city-arena-117973059.html

The government announced, in the end, that said would not contribute to the actual arena but could help fund the infrastructure that surrounded it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh yes. love this quote from iggie heh?

"What I can tell you is that I'm not there to make the sidewalks.""

I guess when you feel you are above the little guy, you dont understand that we dont all have limos eh?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:But after that Charest announced that they were going to do it without the Feds. That seems pretty clear no?
I sorta viewed that as a classic misdirection play.

Consider this:

The feds transfer $250 million extra to Quebec for infrastructure. Quebec spends it on roads etc. that would have been funded by the province. Quebec then takes the newly found $250 million and applies it to the arena.

The net result is the same but it does not look as though the feds spent money on the arena.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

i am afraid that Charet at around 11% popularity after 11 years? is on the way out, so promises really don't matter!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
The feds transfer $250 million extra to Quebec for infrastructure. Quebec spends it on roads etc. that would have been funded by the province. Quebec then takes the newly found $250 million and applies it to the arena.

The net result is the same but it does not look as though the feds spent money on the arena.

Ya, I hear ya. The Feds cannot say how the transfer payments are spent, but that would put the fancy bookwork up to Charest...something else would suffer kinda' stuff.

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Desperation indeed. Does iggy not understand Canadians don't want governments funding arenas? He and his handlers are not very sharp...

Iggy doesn't understand Canadians, period.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heh heh. He's an "American".

Anonymous

Indeed. He loves the Republic in which he lived.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Bets that he still owns property there?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum