the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

IKEA in Winnipeg

+20
winnipegceilingcat
St Norberter
holly golightly
Miz point
Freeman
Triniman
Winklovic
libermom
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Deank
LivingDead
SMW
Goth_chic
sun_wukong
EdWin
FlyingRat
Electrician
AGEsAces
cherenkov
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

26IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:10 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Winnipeg is their largest catalog/web delivery market in Canada. That, and their 1 million population requirement, was probably our largest road block. The Winnipeg arena (football stadium) location would be ideal for them. As would the Kenaston big box store area.

I would not be surprised to see them here well before five years (unless they have to wait for the new stadium to be built). That store would thrive here. As they thrive elsewhere in North America.

27IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Anonymous

Heh heh...You nailed it Rosen. Do they 'barter' or haggle with pricing?

28IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:IKEA is garbage...I don't care if they ever open a store here...

Think of it this way. You may not like Ikea, but there is well over 1 million people in and around Winnipeg that do. This store has the ability to attract people from the far reaches of the province, not to mention eastern Saskatchewan, Northern Ontario, North Dakota, Western Montana, and Northern Minnesota. That's a lot of potential visitors to the Capital Region. Plus, they will spend money in the city through hotels, restaurants, touristy areas, etc. There is a potential for many spin-off benefits here.

Why would anyone want to turn that down?

Last edited by EdWin on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

29IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Anonymous

They should build at the Forks...screw the museum crap...
IKEA IKEA IKEA IKEA

Very Happy

30IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:26 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I think they're waiting for an LRT to be built in WPG to connect peeps to their store, before opening up a new site...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

31IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

EdWin wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:IKEA is garbage...I don't care if they ever open a store here...

Think of it this way. You may not like Ikea, but there is well over 1 million people in and around Winnipeg that do. This store has the ability to attract people from the far reaches of the province, not to mention eastern Saskatchewan, Northern Ontario, North Dakota, Western Montana, and Northern Minnesota. That's a lot of potential visitors to the Capital Region. Plus, they will spend money in the city through hotels, restaurants, touristy areas, etc. There is a potential for many spin-off benefits here.

I find it hard to believe that people would travel from the USA to Winnipeg to shop at Ikea...

I don't care if it gets built, I just don't understand why people love it so much. I have had stuff from Ikea in the past and it is garbage.

32IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Peeps come all the way from Hungary to buy at the Padova store...
I saw the store from the outside, travelling, ain't too big. Big fuss with the traffic around it though...

33IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Why don't they buy out the CPR yards in the North End? That would be a nice improvement for that area. Then they could build a neat LRT system linked to all parts of the city. This way we get all this free of charge. And then, if they don't make a profit, who cares, we got the LRT, right?

34IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:49 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Winnipeggers are BIG BIG BIG customers at Ikea Minneapolis. There will be an amazing amount of traffic to that store from the points EdWin mentioned. Add in that BIG BIG BIG water park at CanadInns and the trip will be doubly worth it.

35IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:56 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
EdWin wrote:

I find it hard to believe that people would travel from the USA to Winnipeg to shop at Ikea...

I don't care if it gets built, I just don't understand why people love it so much. I have had stuff from Ikea in the past and it is garbage.

Why do people from the US come up to Canada to shop here when the Canadian Dollar is low? IKEA will only entice more people to come, including our neighbors to the south.

36IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

meh. Ikea is still crap. I would rather spend more money on quality furniture...but that's me. I am sure Ikea will be a big hit here in Winnipeg. Oh and edwin I work in the hospitality business and even with our dollar so low, I see few Americans venturing here to shop...I see tons of Winnipeggers still heading to Fargo and GF.

Last edited by Goth_chic on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

37IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:27 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:meh. Ikea is still crap. I would rather spend more money on quality furniture...but that's me. I am sure Ikea will be a big hit here in Winnipeg. Oh and edwin I work in the hospitality business and even with our dollar so low, I see few Americans venturing here to shop...I see tons of Winnipeggers still heading to Fargo and GF.

But we aren't talking about you or I here (I'm not a fan of IKEA either); we are talking about the people that are willing to spend $$$$ at IKEA. Wink

Okay, lets forget Americans then. There is still enough people in Canada to attract well over 1 million people to the store. The positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

38IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:28 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

If they give out free booze, then...

39IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:41 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Goth, much (most) of Ikea products are very inexpensive. However, surprisingly enough, they have some very good products (kitchens, appliances...). You've never shopped there have ya? I predict you'll become addicted. Very Happy

40IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:They should build at the Forks...screw the museum crap...
IKEA IKEA IKEA IKEA

Very Happy

Build it at the forks? Grand Forks, what a great idea JTF.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

41IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Marty Gold implied on his show today the Ikea story is a plant intended to take attention away from other issues. He implied that such misdirection story's are commonplace and are planted by... (I won't say their name but their initials are NDP).

I believe I got that story right. Gold can come on here and correct me should I have misunderstood his rant.

42IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:33 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Marty Gold implied on his show today the Ikea story is a plant intended to take attention away from other issues. He implied that such misdirection story's are commonplace and are planted by... (I won't say their name but their initials are NDP).

I believe I got that story right. Gold can come on here and correct me should I have misunderstood his rant.

Whaaaaaaaatt? Bull Shite. Who would be pathetic enough to go to those lengths to fabricate such stupidness.

43IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahem... IKEA is a great business you know where they would do real good. Why at the Football stadium location. Now that we have a gaurenteed anchor store to the new mall there we DEFINATELY have to do it. oh yeah this is going to be sooooo good.
oh wait never mind. IKEA is not coming.. whoops.. we already tore down that stadium after we built an unneeded one at the U of M.. sorry about that..
oh and those extra amatuer things that were to be attacked to the new stadium?.. well the IKEA was going to pay for them, now that they are out of the picture sorry those are gone too.. Damn IKEA..

yah no reason at all for anyone to do that.

44IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ikea do not count the people on social assisstance in their population count, so that drops Winnipeg down from 673,000 to 1175!

http://www.elansofas.com

45IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:12 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Here is a reliable source from SSP to add some credibility:

drew:
A friend of mine's finace worked at the city
planning, property and development department this past summer on a
work term and apparently IKEA has a long term plan (5 years or so) to
build a store that will anchor some new development near Waverly West.
It had something to do with the future extension of Kenaston to the
perimeter. Anyway, this is a solid source, so apparently there is a
little fuel to the rumours...

46IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Anonymous

Funny a well placed source I have says it is Lowes .

47IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Says what is Lowe's?

48IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 pm

Anonymous

The second largest behind Depot , they are and have been in town several times looking for property. They are also looking in western cities. Was at Ikea once just another store as far as i saw , with people spending what they can't afford.

49IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:17 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Funny a well placed source I have says it is Lowes .

Meh, I'd rather have IKEA based on the possible positive spinoffs. However, in a city of Winnipeg's size, there is more then enough room for both.

50IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Anonymous

Not really the more stores the less each outlet makes and the prices go up.

51IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:29 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Not really the more stores the less each outlet makes and the prices go up.

There is AMPLE room for competition in Winnipeg. You don't live in some remote, barren desert like Tuktoyaktuk.

Last edited by EdWin on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum