the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

IKEA in Winnipeg

+20
winnipegceilingcat
St Norberter
holly golightly
Miz point
Freeman
Triniman
Winklovic
libermom
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Deank
LivingDead
SMW
Goth_chic
sun_wukong
EdWin
FlyingRat
Electrician
AGEsAces
cherenkov
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 14]

201IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

I believe the entire project included a very small handful of VERY BIG SUPER BOX stores. Maybe six??? There was a drawing link posted somewhere I'll try to find it.

202IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Anonymous

I think it is good but not where I will go I hate big sprawl malls , Lowes is probaly going to end up here.

203IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Shut up? WTF?

You can't make baseless accusations that the sky is falling and ignore the issues.

Whatever.

That is one lame ass debate. Why do you bother?

🤺

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

204IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm having a grand old time actually. What is this, the fifth, sixth straight shot at moi? You have nothing better to do? It's actually starting to feel a little creepy. What say ya take your med's.

205IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:05 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:I'm having a grand old time actually. What is this, the fifth, sixth straight shot at moi? You have nothing better to do? It's actually starting to feel a little creepy. What say ya take your med's.

Four to be exact.

Having said that, I think Winnipeg is big enough to support an IKEA store. The Calgary and Edmonton locations are usually quite busy.

206IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agreed. In fact I understand the Winnipeg (Manitoba?) area is Ikea's largest catalog customer in Canada. I suspect that may have played a large role in their selecting Winnipeg even though the city does not meet their size (population) restriction.

207IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

a sort of... "shite look at the money in shipping costs we would save by having our own warehouse there" type thing?

208IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hmmm.. so I just went to the ikea.ca page and checked some prices on stuff... so why is it everyone thinks that place is cheap? Cheap maybe for the rest of the Country but prices seem to be a bit high for bargain savy Winnipeg.

209IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

IKEA is cheap and it's mostly crap. I have been to IKEA in BC and Ottawa, and I bought a dresser from there...guess what? It fell apart in 6 months.

210IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There are two price ranges: uber-cheap and kinda' expensive. The uber-cheap products include light bulbs and assemble yourself furniture and utensils and tea-candles...

The expensive includes cabinets and appliances.

211IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Goth_Chic- what were you doing on that dresser? Dressers don't fall apart! Maybe you forgot to use wood screws on the assembly instructions?
What pieces did you have left over after assembly? lol!

http://www.elansofas.com

212IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 am

Anonymous

The kitchen cabinets seem to be running at $100 to $170 /lin. foot. That seems kinda' pricey to me.

213IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:30 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Here's a couple of interesting points.

#1) The city did NOT go to IKEA and ask them to come here.
#2) IKEA came to Winnipeg, and TOLD them what site they wanted...they did not ask for what sites they could have...the deal is that site...or they walk.
#3) IKEA is footing the majority of the bill up front for development...including infrastructure change (roads, lights, etc.) to reduce congestion once the retail stores open.
#4) The increased revenue the city/province will get from property taxes, sales taxes, employment taxes, business fees, etc. Not to mention the fuel tax increases due to people driving from all over town to "see" the new development far out weigh any financial burdens being presented.
#5) The projected employment numbers are 4000+ jobs AFTER construction is completed.
#6) The purchasing at other locations may "dip" temporarily while the novelty of the new development exists, but the other tenants surrounding IKEA won't be much different than available "closer to home"...so unless people are actually going that way FOR IKEA...the impact won't be that significant.

I could probably keep listing...but the fact is IKEA will be good for Winnipeg, no matter where they put it. But Winnipeg didn't get the choice on where it goes. IKEA spent the money, time, resources to investigate the premium location for THEM...and THEY came to Winnipeg with specific demands.

All of the complaints and whining heard so far (not all complaints are whining...so there's been some of each), have been addressed, and would (in most cases) be complaints no matter WHAT or WHERE it was being built.

If IKEA wants to take an old rail yard and develop into something useful...why would anyone want to stand in their way? Worst case scenario...traffic gets a little congested for awhile...noise goes up for a bit...and they lose money and leave and someone else moves in to sell stuff there.

Doesn't seem much different than what happens every weekend at the MTS Centre, or Convention Centre, or anywhere else that attracks thousands of people.

http://www.photage.ca

214IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 am

Anonymous

#6) The purchasing at other locations may "dip" temporarily while the novelty of the new development exists, but the other tenants surrounding IKEA won't be much different than available "closer to home"...so unless people are actually going that way FOR IKEA...the impact won't be that significant.

Building a new shopping center that's a lot bigger than Polo Park will definitely have some effects on others SC's around town. I very much doubt it will be a dip. I think it will be much more permanent...which, imho, will be a good thing.

Polo Park and the surrounding area is a nighmare that cannot be helped very much. Moving away from PP is a good thing imo.

215IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Ikea has just annouced it's intention to take over General Motors.

Here is a look at a sample product offering:

The ÄYTO

package contains:

IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Allank10
and
IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Carpar10

216IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

A sandbox member is having quite the spat with northender over at the darkside. This gal is quite the b1tch eh?

Keep the battle up stn... I wish I was there backing you up. Heh heh

217IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:53 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Northender is very nice, in my opinion! She volunteers tons of her time with about 3 different community centres as well as working her 40 hours per week.

http://www.elansofas.com

218IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not too mention opening her home to kids when needed.

219IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Anonymous

Doesn't she work at a community center in which she wants to make a job for herself permanent?

220IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Nope, not at all.

Permamnent job? Yes.. but not for her.

221IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Anonymous

That has changed then.

222IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:A sandbox member is having quite the spat with northender over at the darkside. This gal is quite the b1tch eh?

Yes I just read the thread. Yikes! Maybe northender is PMS'ing. She can be quite the beotch when one doesn't agree with her. I remember I had quite a few spats with her regarding the north end....even though I grew up in the north end, according to her I didn't know what I was talking about.

She is full of it! I remember she said she never had kids then she said she does. Weirdo!

223IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:42 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:A sandbox member is having quite the spat with northender over at the darkside. This gal is quite the b1tch eh?

Yes I just read the thread. Yikes! Maybe northender is PMS'ing. She can be quite the beotch when one doesn't agree with her. I remember I had quite a few spats with her regarding the north end....even though I grew up in the north end, according to her I didn't know what I was talking about.

She is full of it! I remember she said she never had kids then she said she does. Weirdo!

And don't forget; if you don't live in Winnipeg, despite the fact of being born and raised there, you have no say in the city whatsoever; your opinion is null and void once you move out of the city boundary. This mentality goes for several members on that forum as well, from what I've learned.

224IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Anonymous

I remember getting into it with her over funding her little community center. It was very evident at the time that she was simply making a job for herself....it had nothing to do with helping the children.
Perhaps she's changed, but that was the situation back then.

225IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Have you been banned yet?

226IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 9 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:48 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:Have you been banned yet?

Nope.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum