the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

IKEA in Winnipeg

+20
winnipegceilingcat
St Norberter
holly golightly
Miz point
Freeman
Triniman
Winklovic
libermom
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Deank
LivingDead
SMW
Goth_chic
sun_wukong
EdWin
FlyingRat
Electrician
AGEsAces
cherenkov
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

151IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:

No, the flowery concert reviewer is flaming but he does not have the nads to say what's on his mind.

I say what is on my mind so much that GOM actually asks that I give it up.

I think I made a fair comment about this place being known as "business unfriendly." Yet, I am genuinely surprised that IKEA is coming here, what with our deplorable tax system. In the long run, Doer's management of the economy will be more large retailers locate here and then transfer profits away from here. Personally, I'd rather see money spent on MB-owned businesses so that the profits stay here. But Doer does whatever is needed to fool the people. He knows most of us have short attention spans and don't think long-term.

152IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

So, all of a sudden, the world has noticed Winnipeg.
And now everyone's gonna come and empty out all your bags of dough hidden under your mattresses...
And watch out for your piggy banks and cookie jars... Them hoodlems will take everything...
Maybe it would have been better to say that Winnipeg was in a quiet recession for decades.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

153IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:05 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have no problem with an opposing view. I quite enjoy them. Where I get (mighty) annoyed is when the CHRM issue is connected to seemingly every thread and every post is signed *show me the business plan*. Those are made just to annoy. Hence the flamer accusation. Try another tact and you'll get no hassle from me.

154IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:47 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Call me in 4 or 5 years when IKEA MAY get here!

Maybe I will go online and simply order in as I have done in the past?

http://www.elansofas.com

155IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:So maybe do something about it. Start an aerospace company. An auto manufacturer. Invent a new widget and make it the worlds biggest success story in the history of man.

Just sayin'.

Suggest that we make this province a place where environment related companies and the work they do maybe given special tax status. If they employ so many then they get a break from taxes provincial .
In other words create a environment for them to come here jobs which are better then retail ones.

156IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:56 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Here is another brain buster; why don't we create an environment that is attractive to all sorts of business, large and small? You know; a win-win situation that we should have had in the first place?

157IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Anonymous

Yes true but business other then retail has to come first with out the higher paying jobs we stagnate .

158IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:Here is another brain buster; why don't we create an environment that is attractive to all sorts of business, large and small? You know; a win-win situation that we should have had in the first place?

Eliminate all business taxes.

159IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Anonymous

Right and then there would be no Daycare.

160IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pavolo wrote:Right and then there would be no Daycare.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

LOL... nice tie in Pav.. got me laughing out loud and my kids wondering what I am laughing at..

Man I might actually pitty some of the guests if they dont get to see all the comments in every thread they must think we are all crazy or something.

161IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:47 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so about this 100 000 seat stadium in the old IKEA building......
Why does it cost so much to build a stadium when compared to other larger buildings?

162IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:07 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK have you correkted leipsic spelling??

163IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Nope.. why would I?

164IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:53 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Leipsic

165IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:07 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

He can't lower business taxes until all the businesses get owned and run by Winnipeggers. Or else, all the money just vanishes out of the country... You see, right now, the big business enterprises take their profits and use them in THEIR local charities and CC's etc. They don't give hand-outs in Winnipeg. If the businesses were owned and run by local folks, then the money would still remain in Winnipeg, and recycled into the community. It's not just a question of jobs and health care. Imagine also for example, if we'd start pumping our own oil from under Lake Agassiz, imagine the profits, and hope that they stay in Winnipeg...

166IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:54 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm.. alot of our businesses... regardless of where the profits go... give a significant amount of time and effort to the community.

or is there supposed to eba sarcasm font in your post?

167IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:57 am

Anonymous

Yes Rona give alot of money and time to the charitys here so I don't get that statment .

168IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh,, it was Rona I was thinking of too.. And starbucks...they give a lot as well.

McDonalds,.. they give tons to the locals..(and lots to charities too )heh.

169IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Anonymous

We just gave a ton of toys to the citi fm cause and the corporation charity is MS

170IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I was sayin' the businesses run by out-of-towners.

171IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:17 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Isn't that typically the case? Outside of a few major major centres are not most of these types of businesses run by folks in another city/country?

172IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Businesses, cooperatives, (governments), etc. They just offer low income jobs, and they cash in all the revenues... It happens all over the world... And the "taxman" goes nuts trying to make them pay their due taxes...
Well, one guy just got caught here in Trieste. His Virgin Islands million dollar yacht got confiscated and he will be charged with contraband and will have to pay a fine of over 250,000 Euros.
He stated he earned his money outside of Europe, but he did whatever he wanted inside Europe.

173IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

New IKEA to open next September near Trieste, instead of this Spring.
Will start with 250 new jobs, then will reach a maximum 3000 when fully operative.
Are the same stats predicted for the Winnipeg location?

174IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Electrician wrote:Are the same stats predicted for the Winnipeg location?

Nobody knows for sure...they won't show us their business plan Wink.

http://www.photage.ca

175IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:15 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhhaaahhha

176IKEA in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: IKEA in Winnipeg Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
Electrician wrote:Are the same stats predicted for the Winnipeg location?

Nobody knows for sure...they won't show us their business plan Wink.

Are they also asking for over 100 million of tax payers money?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum