the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

I think every park should have those humps...

+6
FlyingRat
Jondo
wpg_idiot
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"I think every park should have those humps," Roulette said. "(Neighbourhood children) are like one big family.""

tragically a little boy was killed yesterday while speed humps might not have made a difference they certainly would have made more of a difference then relying on handing out tickets anonymously.

Now that it has cost us a young life, do you suppose our politicians will start actually caring about safety instead of revenue generation?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/boy-run-over-by-tow-truck-dies-97217474.html

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not sure exactly why the freep has two of the same story

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think speed control measures would have prevented this tragic death. We don't even know how fast the truck was traveling. We do know, from the witnesses quoted, that the idiot went through a stop sign. Not sure how any traffic management device would prevent a) stupidity/carelessness or b) driver distraction. Perhaps dude was talking on a cell phone.

And if true dude tried to take off the penalty should be harsh, and include jail time.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't believe anything that the Free Press has reported!
It will be interesting to see if charges will be laid!
Can anyone tell me why the driver was allowed to go? Is it because the Crown Prosecutor has to decide on what the driver may be charged with, after they have witness statements?

Regarding the Park and humps- It is my experience that every park has those humps, and even some people , when they are in a grassed area , even in a person's back yard , behave like they are a hump!! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

I wonder where the child's parents were? It says they didn't arrive until after 8...

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Many tow-truck drivers I've talked to seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them - kind of like emergency vehicles - whether they're jobbing or not. In most of my exchanges with Dr. Hook - they like to point out that they "work for the police". This may not have anything to do with this very sad incident however that whole business needs an enema I think.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

these humps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs

Drivers need to pay attention.
Kids need supervision.
That is all.

Anonymous

Funny I remember when you did not need these bumps in parking lots or streets as people did not have to speed every where thinking the world ends if they were late. May be people just have to get over their self importance and think of others on this planet .

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

That wasn't the only reason Pav.

Vehicles drove differently 30 years ago.
If you gunned a car up to 50mph...you felt it...today, a vehicle traveling 50mph might "feel" like it's only going 30mph because of suspensions, quieter engines, air-tight body, etc.

I know I notice a big difference between my 2006 vehicle now, and the 1980 vehicle I started driving with.

http://www.photage.ca

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We have no idea what happened!
Did the 5 year old drive into the truck?
How can a truck driver not see the kid coming?
All we have is a 5 year old is run over, and the free Press reporting that witnesses saw the driver go through the stop sign, and another mother report her kid was hit last year at the same spot.
No charges against the driver.

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

I've noticed that, with the new schtick being 4-way stops, many cars are just going through without stopping when the don't see another car around at a 4-way stop intersection.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I've noticed that 99% of people have no clue what to do at a four way stop when another vehicle is present.

Its simple.
Everyone stop all the time
First one to stop is first one to go.
If two people stop at the exact same time, the driver on the right gets to go first.

I REALLY cant stand it when I pull up second and the other driver attempts to wave me through like they are doing me some sort of favour. F you buddy, follow the damn rules of the road.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I've waived the 2nd car through DeanK.
Sometimes, I want to stop a bit longer to:
Play with the radio
Yell at the kid
Pick up my burger
Piss off the guy who's been tailgating me the last 6 blocks.

There's lots of reasons...and yes...there are "rules of the road"...but there has to be a little leeway for those with other circumstances...as long as they aren't breaking the law.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Actually I often waive the other guy through as well. That places control firmly in my grasp and we don't have to do the stutter start-stop two-step. Not sure why this bothers you Deank.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Because it adds to the potential for accidents is why.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Only for you then. Most people accept the waive and proceed through with no problemo.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

until they come to the next stop.. and expect it and dont know what to do.

F you and your wave grumpy.

Hell I have had to shut my car off, turn the hazards on and get out and go to walk to them before the morons realized I was not moving until they did.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's because you are driving mostly in the North End and all North End drivers are morons.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

harumph!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

some reporters are stupid.

freep video of police statement about this accident

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/LIVE-Police-discuss-fatal-accident-of-boy-97312584.html

How many times are they going to ask about the other vehicle?

MissFae

MissFae

As a pedestrian, I get annoyed with the wave-though because I often can't see it. Half the time there guy'll be waving me through and inching forward at the same time. With the sun glaring on his windshield, I can't see his wave and therefore, can't figure out why the frick I'm standing there waiting while he's inching forward, stopping, inching forward, stopping, etc...

In that case, knowing my wave is clearly visible, I wave them the frick out of my way so that I can cross without that dangerous motherfucker threatening to "oops" and run me over.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I never wave pedestrians through. They don't belong on the road. If they can't afford a car...

Spoiler:

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Seriously though if you wave someone through you really should be sure she saw you and acknowledged you...

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

wpg_idiot wrote:I wonder where the child's parents were? It says they didn't arrive until after 8...

That part bothered me. 5 years old and they weren't with him.

Just another factor I guess. Frustrating , and awful story.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum