the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Assiniboine Park plan

+4
eastsider
grumpy old man
Deank
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New Assiniboine Park plan Empty New Assiniboine Park plan Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:39 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pretty exciting plan on re-developing the Assiniboine Park!
I love when the City has no money for fixing up and they ask the big names in Winnipeg to "look after it", which means go get money from the people, and the corporate donation list.
Still a very good idea, except I don't personally believe that animals should be locked up in jail for life!
New enclosure for those big white Northern Bears, probably is $8,000,000 or more!
Build a new skating rink and all sorts of people friendly stuff , but leave the animals out of the picture! We can access all we need to see from the TV or the internet!
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/New-Assiniboine-Park-plan-to-be-unveiled-Friday-48553577.html

http://www.elansofas.com

2New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

$10-million project kicks off Assiniboine Park makeover

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/10-million-makeover-48598107.html

Over the next 10 years, the conservancy hopes to raise $180 million to build a new conservatory, give dilapidated Assiniboine Park Zoo a complete facelift -- including a state-of-the-art polar bear exhibit -- and fix up roads and improve landscaping throughout the park.
A major corporate sponsor is also expected to fund the future polar bear exhibit, which should include an underwater viewing area and an Arctic environmental and cultural interpretive centre

3New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If we get rid of the bears... where am I going to dispose of the my enemies bodies???

4New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:13 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK, Eye am 5 blocks from the Zoo, and Eye and you can toss bodies into the Assiniboine River, while drinking Crown Royal and smoking a cigar or any other appropriate smoking material!

5New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:50 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think it is wonderful. No criticism intended but I wish it could happen sooner.

That polar bear sponsor might be on to something. If they do that exhibit really right it could be an enormous attraction.

6New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Anonymous

This will happen as there are some prominent people involved it will be nice when done .

7New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What does everyone think about locking up polar bears for life?

i love the idea of a new Conseratory with butterflies, which is one of the reasons that volunteer group "Friends of the Conservatory" have ben raising money for 20 years, but a butterfly Conservatory is not on the list!
perhaps it has to do with the cost, but The Friends have $500,000 that they have raised that they may end up taking with them to try and build a butterfly conservatory out at the Fort Whyte Center or any other place that they deem suitable!

Last edited by rosencrentz on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

8New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I grow more and more against ZOOs, polar bears are not meant to live in winnipeg. Neither are monkeys.

As a child I loved seeing on the different animals in the zoo, now I am aghast when I see the conditions we make these creatures live in for our benefit.

9New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:10 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I agree with you Dean, its definitely not natural seeing them pent up in the zoo. Yesterday I was out biking in the bush on the Transcona trails, I saw the deer running freely and scampering through the trees, I even saw what I think was a badger waddling across my path, (muskrat maybe?). Thats the way it oughtta be......not pay 3 or 4 bucks to view the caged animals.

10New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK , you get a thumbs up from me for that comment. There are plenty of documentaries on TV to view all animals. When our local Polar bear died recently the Wpg Zoo, I believe wasn't allowed to replace the bear because the conditions are not acceptable . Maybe not humane? Does anyone know?
Was it last year that a group had 2 polar bears in their traveling circus where the conditions were inhumane, hot weather and no proper cooling available. Some group got the poice to get those bears rescued and returned to Canada.

11New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

two years ago mexican circus.

An interesting note about polar bears captured and released to zoos around the world... If they are captured in Canada, they are still owned by Canada and we can go and get them whenever we want ( ie think they are being mistreated)

and yes as per current standards our current zoo enclosure is not allowed to get any new polar bears.

12New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:57 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wonder how long those polar bears were tortured, I wonder how long the elephants were tortured, the dancing bears were tortured, the monkeys were tortured etc , etc etc.

13New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

it sickens me to think of the torture that some performing animals must have gone through.,

I love my cat, but if I thought for one moment her living with us in the city was torture or even inhumane in anyway I would take her straight back to my parents place.

My litte 5 pound or less cat has more roming room that most animals at the zoo... something is seriously wrong with that.

Maybe we need to completely fence the zoo in except for the paths that people walk on and we can see how a camel interacts with a puma.

14New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

For some animals...I could agree with you...except for one problem.

Most zoo animals these days, are:
1) unable to be returned to the wild (they won't survive),
2) born in captivity, (so again would be unlikely to survive),
3) healed from some injury or sickness...and still require monitoring/treatment

If you look at the majority of the animals in zoos today...they were probably born there, or born in other zoos.
They've not known any other life than living there...and thus their conditions are what they are used to.

Assuming they are being well treated, fed, etc. (ie. not abused or left sick), they are probably enjoying a better life than if they were released to the wild and had to worry consistently about predators/hunters.

From what I've read about the Assiniboine Zoo...it's actually a "breeder" zoo for many species, which then get shipped out to other zoos around the world.

http://www.photage.ca

15New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:26 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That is exactly why Debbie lived to 42 years old. A polar bear would never live half that long were they to spend their lives in the wild.

16New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

A wild animal living in a jail is a pretty horrible thought. A polar bear living in a very large enclosure, that was arescued baby is something else to think about. I think I could accept that. Does a bear have a right to decide? obviously not!
Our enclosure doesn't meet the requirements for Polar bears in captivity, so are we to assume that the 2 bears we had here were unhappy? Did their behaviour indicate that? I don't know. What about the oter animals? Birds in enclosures? No more flying free!

17New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:43 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

What I find amusing is that many of the people who complain about the zoos being so abhorrent and evil towards the animals, feel it necessary to keep pets of their own.

Cats, dogs, snakes, birds, fish.

All of these animals at some point in history were "wild" animals. The fact that dogs & cats are "domesticated" really means nothing. Technically dairy cattle are considered "domesticated" as well...but you wouldn't want it living in your basement.

I saw an interview with the flaming lion tamers from vegas once...where they were being questioned/chastised about raising "wild animals" and keeping them captive. One of them (I think Roy) asked the question... "they were born into that family...all they've known is domestication & training. Sure they have certain "instincts" for hunting and prowling...but so do your house cats. Don't they hunt birds & mice? Well our cats hunt deer & antelope...but they are still family."

18New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:12 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces- You cannot get dairy cattle in your basement!
My grandfather built his house with the dairy cattle on the main floor and his living quarters upstairs, so the cattle's body heat would keep him warm upstairs!
My grandmother wouldn't move in. This was in West Kildonan.

19New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 am

Anonymous

God loved the world and gave it birds
Man loved the birds and invented cages

20New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

rosencrentz wrote:AGEsAces- You cannot get dairy cattle in your basement!
My grandfather built his house with the dairy cattle on the main floor and his living quarters upstairs, so the cattle's body heat would keep him warm upstairs!
My grandmother wouldn't move in. This was in West Kildonan.

But do you know WHY you can't get dairy cattle in your basement?

Spoiler:

21New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Assiniboine Park plans shared Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Assiniboine Park plans shared

By ROSS ROMANIUK, Winnipeg Sun

Assiniboine Park will "re-write the book" on its potential as a Winnipeg gathering place with a first, $10-million chapter to be completed this winter.

That's the way Hartley Richardson, chairman of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy, described the Heart of the Park construction project on Friday when the ambitious redevelopment of the massive green space's playground and duck pond was announced at the site.

With a ceremonial sod-turning with sand and children's shovels to represent the development's appeal to kids and families, the overhaul was set to begin immediately toward a completion of the Nature and Adventure Playground late this summer.

An expansion of the pond -- to approximately double its size -- is slated to be finished this winter.

About $6.2 million -- $3.6 million from the city, $1 million from the federal government and $1.6 million in private donations -- has been provided, with about $4 million yet to be raised.

The Nature and Adventure Playground will include "tree tunnels," a kids' garden depicting the board game "snakes and ladders," a play area of sand and water and a series of small hills, as well as several other features.

The duck pond will have interactive, educational aspects and a recreation area with islands and stepping stones.

A "family centre" building is also part of the $10-million price tag.

The Heart of the Park project is the first of several stages of redevelopment planned for Assiniboine, under a vision laid out by the Conservancy more than a year ago.

22New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:19 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I really hope they are still commited to revamping the zoo. It is in shambles and is a complete embarrassment. Is has so much potential and can become a real tourist draw for both out of town and resident visitors.

23New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wouldn't say the zoo is in shambles EdWin, I agree it needs work. When was the last time you were there? I had friends who moved here from Southern Ontario who raved about our zoo, it seems it was a hell of a lot better then what they had.

24New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Southern Ontario has African Lion Safari and Marine land, both of which are much better than our run down shabby zoo.

25New Assiniboine Park plan Empty Re: New Assiniboine Park plan Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not according to my friends from Elliot Lake, ON. They quite enjoyed the zoo as well as the Children's Museum. I am not a huge fan of zoo's, I don't enjoy seeing animals caged. I guess if you enjoy that sort of thing then yes our zoo is shabby. If I didn't enjoy meat so much I would become a vegetarian. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum