the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Upper Fort news

+6
Goth_chic
Winklovic
AGEsAces
EdWin
JT Estoban
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Upper Fort news Empty Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Gas-sation-site-to-be--46627907.html
"The Petro-Canada agreement means the only existing building that will be left on the block that once contained Winnipeg’s birthplace is the Manitoba Club, which the Friends have no plans to purchase and demolish."

wow...really!!??? no kidding?? man thats a surprise Rolling Eyes

2Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

so...just so I read that correctly....no more stupid gas station at that location?

But there will still be a curling rink?

Wink

3Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that corner.. (okay not that corner.. but somewhere close by..) needs a gas station.. somewhere downtown needs one. but it should be a sev... and you know what... right across the street from my place of work would be an awesome place for a sev.

4Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Agreed....downtown does need some place to fuel up. Just not on top of a historic site like that one!

It also needs a grocery store closer to Portage and Main....so when the staff x-mas party is about to start, and I've forgotten to bring my item, I have some place to go in a emergency!

5Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL if I get my sev across the street you can have your grocery store....well as long as they both get a license to sell hard stuff that is.

6Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:53 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I wonder if the enemies have undertaken their full due diligence and conducted a phase I Environmental assessment to determine if a Phase II ESA is necessary. If they purchase this land without finding out if any existing contamination is present onsite, and they find out afterward that there is, they are held liable for the clean-up efforts and all the costs associated with it.

7Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

real doubtful

8Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

But who would want to work @ your Sev?

Especially if it sells "hard stuff"? You know what kind of crowd that's going to attract....almost the same non gas buying crowd that frequents the Petro!

"....NO, you do NOT DRINK THIS, this is gasoline, petrol, fuel, NOT A DRINK!"

P.S. if your looking for a quick nip for in your coffee in the morning....most places have hand sanitizer stations or squirt bottles...and that stuff is 62% alcohol!
green beer

9Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why I am sure since it is so close to the legislature and its about my right to alcohol I can get someone to chip in 240K per year for a security guard for the place.

10Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

How about an on site EMT complete with stomach pump? lol

:party 005:

11Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Don't expect a gas station downtown anytime soon.

Anti-Terrorism laws are prohibiting gas stations to be installed within a population centre of (xxx, I dont' know the exact number off the top of my head).

Existing ones are being encouraged to remodel to protect the pumps & lines, and install high security measures to prevent tampering and vandalism.

This is why there are several gas stations being closed around Winnipeg...because the station owner were unable or unwilling to comply with the higher cost security that is not required at less populated stations.

It's happening all over the US as well. Major cities like NYC & Philadelphia are having stations close in their "core" areas, while stations on the "outskirts" are expanding to accommodate the increased business volume.

http://www.photage.ca

12Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what are these Canadian Anti-terrorism laws you speak of?

13Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:47 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/antiter/index.html
http://www.antiterrorismlaw.ca/

Here...this should keep you occupied for a few months.

I didn't read them...it was a news blurb I saw on TV about 2 weeks ago.
It was shot out of Toronto, but said it's applying to any major city in North America.

14Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:why I am sure since it is so close to the legislature and its about my right to alcohol I can get someone to chip in 240K per year for a security guard for the place.

Basically to chase away all the vagrants and drug dealers that will end up occupying that space.

15Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

According to the map at the link below, itt appears there was a path that led from the fort gate to Broadway before the Manitoba Club was built. TEAR DOWN THE MANITOBA CLUB! :mad 040:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/2244599791/sizes/l/

16Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Anonymous

It'll be great to see that gas station gone, and it looks like the Friends will net out $350K. That would take care of any site prep work that may be necessary I'd reckon.

17Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/antiter/index.html
http://www.antiterrorismlaw.ca/

Here...this should keep you occupied for a few months.

I didn't read them...it was a news blurb I saw on TV about 2 weeks ago.
It was shot out of Toronto, but said it's applying to any major city in North America.

I have only skimmed it and read about 10% of the acutal act and there is nothing at all in there about gas stations and populated areas. I will read more but based on what I see, I am less then certain there will be anything in there.

Perhaps what you saw was simply some over active reporter imaginings of what the rules were?

Or perhaps what you are referring to is the extremely common to most cities aspect of where you can put gas stations that has nothing to do with terrorism and that has existed for at least 15 years in most areas.

18Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sorry ages, spent another hour reading through and there is nothing at all in there that even comes close to that.

19Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I tried to find that news blurb last night online.
Not remembering what channel or who was speaking made it quite difficult.

The best I could find was some references to standards & rules about gas stations and where they are and are not allowed to be. Mostly environmental references, and a couple hazard references.

I could not find anything that referenced terrorism...so that reporter may have been assuming some things...or just trying to sensationalize the story.

20Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am

Anonymous

Wouldn't be the first time.

21Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There is a full page ad in the Sun today regarding this. They are asking for donations.

22Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Goth_chic wrote:There is a full page ad in the Sun today regarding this. They are asking for donations.
I made my donation when the provincial government spent a million on the Petro station. Sad

23Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah... frick you, you a$$hole Mr Sinclair

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/even-losers-must-celebrate-upper-fort-garry-46706777.html

"
Until the premier was casually asked whether there are plans to tear down the only building still standing on the historic city block.
The century-old Manitoba Club, symbolic home of the city's business and political elite.
The premier laughed.
As he should have.
After all, many of the business and political elite who spearheaded the campaign to save the historic property for the citizens of Manitoba are also members of the Manitoba Club.
Without their passion and persistence we wouldn't be planning a downtown provincial park on the land where the Hudson's Bay Co. once ruled most of northwestern North America and where the "Father of Manitoba," Louis Riel, declared a provisional government that led to the creation of Manitoba."

So what you are saying you stuck up elitist piece of garbage is that if you are rich and powerful you can do whatever you want to whoever you want and not worry about it impacting you in any way shape or form.

"But there are elements in this city that will always be sniping at the rich and/or the successful."

LISTEN CLOSELY a$$hole!!!... we are not sniping them because they are rich and or successfuly you fuckin cxxtwad, we are sniping them because its a do as we say not as we do attitude from them. gordon sinclair can you please ffuck off and die? That would be nice.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited for family viewing.)

24Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:14 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

(insert french word for shower here:) _______ bag

25Upper Fort news Empty Re: Upper Fort news Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Mod note: be passionate 'til the cows come home. Let's please use more acceptable language...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum