the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

How does the City and mayor get away with stuff like this?

+7
Mantha
Freeman
eViL tRoLl
Deank
FlyingRat
grumpy old man
GGF
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:JTF you wrote:

Besides, the other providers would scream bloody-murder if one of their competitors got an unfair advantage.

So how are some of these competitors suppose to know about "a public tender being available" if the tender is not offered to the public in the first place?...

And or perhaps advertised elsewhere in Mb or Canada or perhaps the US or even say elsewhere in the world etc...

And I am certain that the quality for such contracts and "in particular" such as with "Consultants" the quality of "Consultants" could perhaps improve dramatically and so on if these "Consultant" contracts were offered publicly and perhaps more specifically without a "Perceived Selective Bias Involved"...

And the reason I say that is because "Governments use Consultants" to do studies and calculate costs for projects etc...

And or whatever the "Government Spin to the Public" usually has come from whatever was in the consultants report/study "first" etc...

And because "Government Consultants" are the "Under Belly of our Governments" and not just in the peg but with all our governments in Canada...

and...and...and...greeblok

More of the same.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

One one hand, people complain about hiring consultants.

On the other, people get upset that government doesn't do due diligence.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And not every consultant/contractor is a crook. Some folks see only evil everywhere.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Mantha you wrote:

One one hand, people complain about hiring consultants.

On the other, people get upset that government doesn't do due diligence.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

greeblok and that is the "Reason" why "Consultants" are so important one way or the other in a democracy...

And for me it boils down to this...

If we ever want our governments to be more "Responsible" or "Accountable" to us as a society or as taxpayers then we need to figure out how to make the selection of "Consultants" more "Transparent" to all of us as tax payers...

And the reason is because "Consultants" are our governments "Spin Doctors" that we pay for with our tax dollars...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Oh for fricks sake...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"If we ever want our governments to be more "Responsible" or "Accountable" to us as a society or as taxpayers then we need to figure out how to make the selection of "Consultants" more "Transparent" to all of us as tax payers...

And the reason is because "Consultants" are our governments "Spin Doctors" that we pay for with our tax dollars..."

maybe if I shout.

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHY THIS IS IN THE NEWS, THE ELECTED PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO FIX WHAT THEY SEE AS A BROKEN PROCESS THAT THE HIRED HELP IS FOLLOWING

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Whats a greeblok?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:Whats a greeblok?

eat 2lbs of cheese in one sitting and you will find out.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That makes perfect sense. A greeblok is pure merda.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHY THIS IS IN THE NEWS, THE ELECTED PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO FIX WHAT THEY SEE AS A BROKEN PROCESS THAT THE HIRED HELP IS FOLLOWING

I know that and the big question(s) I have are the following...

a) Wasn't the issue of fixing the problem with consultants not an election promise made by Sam Katz in 2004 before he was elected as mayor?...

b) So now...Why did he or they wait just before a new election to be called soon to address the issue of "Consultants" and not have addressed the issue of "Consultants" say 5yrs ago when it could have perhaps made a heck of lot difference overall?...

And or would you happen to perhaps know if someone perhaps finally woke up at City Hall or something?...

And that's the reason it's in the papers now and wasn't in the papers say 5yrs ago...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

GGF wrote:Deank you wrote:

I know that and the big question(s) I have are the following...

a) Wasn't the issue of fixing the problem with consultants not an election promise made by Sam Katz in 2004 before he was elected as mayor?...

b) So now...Why did he or they wait just before a new election to be called soon to address the issue of "Consultants" and not have addressed the issue of "Consultants" say 5yrs ago when it could have perhaps made a heck of lot difference overall?...

And or would you happen to perhaps know if someone perhaps finally woke up at City Hall or something?...

And that's the reason it's in the papers now and wasn't in the papers say 5yrs ago...
Maybe that is what you should have said right from the get go then. I don't know if that was an election issue or not. Maybe you can post a link to support your allegation. Google is your friend.

So, you have two questions:
1) was "fixing" the consultant issue a Katz election issue.
B) if so, why did he wait so long?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

1) I don't know.
B) If it was, did he put a time limit on fulfilling his election promises?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

1) no
2) see 1.

Sammies 2004 election promise was to clear up red tape. The red tape commision investigated and implemented several reccomendations on target.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Here's a link GOM in relation to some of the election promises made by Sam Katz in 2004...

Below is the story that appeared in the FP online yesterday which is "City to take extra month to amend consulting rules" and then check the comments at the bottom of the article where BK has a comment at the bottom in the comment section to the article in response to someone asking if anyone had a copy of Sam Katz elections promises in 2004 etc...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/City-to-take-extra-month-to-amend-consulting-rules-90097392.html

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

where do you see anything relating to 2004 in that link?

here is a real link to 2004 commitments
http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr_2004/nr_20040722.stm

During his election campaign, Katz outlined several important initiatives that will help make Winnipeg more “open for business.” These initiatives include:

• Phasing in a complete elimination of the City’s business tax.
  • Reduction in the amount of bureaucratic and regulatory red tape faced by business owners in the City.
  • Work to reduce the cost of City government and ensure citizens and business receive value for the tax dollars they pay out.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

[quote="GGF"]Here's a link GOM in relation to some of the election promises made by Sam Katz in 2004...

Below is the story that appeared in the FP online yesterday which is "City to take extra month to amend consulting rules" and then check the comments at the bottom of the article where BK has a comment at the bottom in the comment section to the article in response to someone asking if anyone had a copy of Sam Katz elections promises in 2004 etc...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/City-to-take-extra-month-to-amend-consulting-rules-90097392.html[/quote]

WTF does this have to do with answering GOM's question? Sounds like defrost1976 is a twin of GGF.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

GGF wrote:Here's a link GOM in relation to some of the election promises made by Sam Katz in 2004...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/City-to-take-extra-month-to-amend-consulting-rules-90097392.html
So where is this promise Katz made? I guess you cannot support your position in this matter either.

Why do you bother?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

[quote="Freeman"]
GGF wrote:Here's a link GOM in relation to some of the election promises made by Sam Katz in 2004...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/City-to-take-extra-month-to-amend-consulting-rules-90097392.html[/quote]

WTF does this have to do with answering GOM's question? Sounds like defrost1976 is a twin of GGF.

About 1000 posts have shown me something: dude has an agenda he is trying to serve when posting in the sandbox. Dude is trying to smear and discredit Katz and the police by posting innuendo and plain false statements.

The sandbox has done a great job in moderating and making sure the crap does not go unchallenged.

Good job sandbox members!

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You're welcome.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank I cannot help but laugh at the following which is your link...

Work to reduce the cost of City government and ensure citizens and business receive value for the tax dollars they pay out.

Hum!...So how well can one spin the following...As a result of the continuous increase in government spending for consultants or other government expenditures over the last 5 yrs which I promised I would deal with back in 2004 but haven't until now...

And so now that I am apparently trying to deal with it and just before and election needs to be called by pretending that this was/is a tax saving and nothing else perhaps LOL!...

Heck why wasn't the issue of consultants dealt with 5yrs ago instead of now?...

And also...What can I say about this bit...Working to reduce the cost of City government?...

In relation to our smiling and spending mayor and the current administration?...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So the argument changes from the tendering process to why the Mayor didn't fix everything.

I guess if you can't substantiate one line of thought, best to spew out another line of bullshit.

Whats this good for folks? Another 5 pages of posts?

How long before the accountability of the WPS creeps into the thread?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"And also...What can I say about this bit...Working to reduce the cost of City government?...

In relation to our smiling and spending mayor and the current administration?..."

quite a bit actually. take a look at the what dollars are being spent and where and what substanial cuts have been made.
simply comparing the budgets from 2004 to 2009 should do it for you. (make sure to prorate the budgets so that you are talking the same dollars)

have fun with it... its a good experience

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

"And also...What can I say about this bit...Working to reduce the cost of City government?...

In relation to our smiling and spending mayor and the current administration?..."

quite a bit actually. take a look at the what dollars are being spent and where and what substanial cuts have been made.
simply comparing the budgets from 2004 to 2009 should do it for you. (make sure to prorate the budgets so that you are talking the same dollars)

have fun with it... its a good experience

Deank I already have had fun with it previously as a result of being aware of much that is in it etc....and in relation to what you may see as a tax cut...I see as just a shift from tax cut to say a shift on a water bill instead etc, etc etc...and I really don't care to get into all of that at the moment...and would much rather save as perhaps a debate perhaps closer to an election and also because the big picture here is what is the city and mayor or administration doing with consultants at the moment and now...

And also why is the mayor and or city administrators dealing with the issue of consultants now instead of 5 yrs ago?...

And could it perhaps be as a result of government spending having gone out of control or perhaps something else?...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"And also why is the mayor and or city administrators dealing with the issue of consultants now instead of 5 yrs ago?..."

they have been dealing with it forever.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

How does the City and mayor get away with stuff like this? - Page 2 Troll10

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

"And also why is the mayor and or city administrators dealing with the issue of consultants now instead of 5 yrs ago?..."

they have been dealing with it forever.

So then why wasn't it first and foremost in the papers or in the public view or reported on before now?...

Oh wait, sorry backdoor meetings must be considered as perhaps counting as public ones?... lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum