the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

No city money for stadium reno, says mayor

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

No city money for stadium reno, says mayor

Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz is rooting for David Asper's new stadium plan to pan out, but if it doesn't, don't expect Katz to dig too deep into the city's coffers to renovate Canad Inns Stadium.
During an editorial board meeting with the Winnipeg Sun yesterday, Katz said the city has already given the Winnipeg Football Club a sweetheart of a deal at Canad Inns Stadium that includes the right to play in the facility for $1 per year, access to concession and naming rights revenue and the ability to develop retail space at the stadium site, among other perks.
"We turned everything over to them. If we had that revenue still, I'd be happy to give it to them. We've given them everything already," Katz said. "I would maintain an open mind but I'd definitely be reminding them what we've given. It's also not like we're sitting on a pile of money."
Whether or not to renovate Canad Inns Stadium using money gathered from Winnipeg taxpayers will be a moot point if Asper's plan to erect a stadium at the University of Manitoba comes to fruition.
GLITCH
Katz called Asper's plan "a fantastic deal" because it uses only a small percentage of public money to get a major project done.
"If David Asper is successful I think we should all be dancing in the streets," he said.
However, Asper's plan has run into a glitch of late as the businessman was forced to ask the Bombers board for an extension of time to secure tenants for the retail complex that would be built on the site of the existing Canad Inns Stadium. The stadium would be torn down and replaced by stores, providing the revenue necessary to finance the stadium deal.
If Asper cannot secure enough tenants to move into the space, the entire deal could be in jeopardy, at which point the football club would have to look at other options.
One of those would be to renovate the existing stadium, which is expected to cost tens of millions of dollars.
Katz said he's hoping it never comes to that but if it does he'd at least be willing to listen to suggestions from the Bombers board for other ways the city could help out, even though he's not prepared to hand over any money for renovations.

How come nobody is mentioning option #3 ask others for development proposals?
I'm sure the Ledohowski's and some others might want another crack at developing a new stadium. Why is it only David's stadium or bust?
Is this some kind of Underworld Deal? What is going on here?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Curious minds want to know... Perhaps the board feels a stadium deal should include ownership of the Bombers? If Ledohowski builds a stadium will he give the Bombers 100% right to use the building 100% of the time for free?

I think katz is doing the right thing. Throwing money into that abomination of a building and the grounds is a colossal waste of money.

Issue new RFPs and see what shakes out.

Anonymous

Who knows what goes on in Katz's head....no money for renos, sewers and streets, but he wants a friggn' helicopter!!!

Like that's not a hole in the sky that we'll pour money into eh.

....and I agree, there's something smelly about the Bombers deals.

Anonymous

This deal stunk in the begining and the shaft Leo was shown by Katz inexcussable .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What did katz do to Ledohowski?

Anonymous

Never gave him the time of day and dismissed his Idea way to easy never did support it . Was pro Asper all the way .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

katz had absolutely nothing to do with the stadium deal as far as I know. It was all on the Bomber board.

Anonymous

Okey dokey then.

Anonymous

And who agree to the tax deals and the price of the Land and who leaned on councill to get it done , grumpy it has Katz written all over it . The board were also leaned on by Lyle , every one was sold a dream and they all went for the ride.
Problem is the boat has sprung a few leaks and has some major weakness in it . Leo would have had shovells in the ground by now .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"How come nobody is mentioning option #3 ask others for development proposals?"

I keep telling you, kneepads.. and apparently lots of them.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Mayor Katz has from day 1 in office, always worked towards doing what He thought was best for Winnipeg!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Deank wrote:"How come nobody is mentioning option #3 ask others for development proposals?"

I keep telling you, kneepads.. and apparently lots of them.

I do believe they did they were given less then the time of day attention . Least Leo got that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum