the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

City Needs More Money To Fix Roads

+9
Goth_chic
manitobapost
LivingDead
Triniman
AGEsAces
Electrician
grumpy old man
Deank
rosencrentz
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

City Needs 7.4 Billion Dollars for Infrastructure

Over the past decade, the City has dramatically increased its infrastructure investments from a total capital of $120 million in 2001 to $476 million in 2009.

Wellington Crescent is well looked after, with some minor work done here to smooth things over.

How are the roads where you live?

Last edited by rosencrentz on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.elansofas.com

2City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Perhaps the city could start with not actually building more roads? Nah... thats too easy of a concept.

3City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:57 am

Anonymous

I wish they could go back in time, and take all the federal and provincial money used for the CMHR, and spend it on infrastructure.

4City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahh, give that horse a rest for Christ's sake. The infrastructure deficit is 7 friggen billion dollars plus.

Let's go back in time and capture every goddamn discretionary cent ever spent. Let's take back the federal and provincial monies spent on the MTS Centre; CanWest Park; Canad Stadium; the Art's; other Museums; Federal & Provincial Parks; Pan Am, Universiade and Olympic Games; Movie and TV tax credits; etcetera...

There must be a balance between what is absolutely needed and what is nice to have.

5City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 am

Anonymous

We don't seem to have been able to reach that balance obviously.

Giving it a rest doesn't change the fact we cannot afford the thing, and we continue to pretend there is no elephant in the room.

6City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:45 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Obviously? Maybe. Probably. Let's draw the line then. Stop all discretionary funding until the deficit is reduced to... What? Is a zero deficit the right number? $1 billion? $5 billion? Can we ever realistically eliminate such a deficit?

I am certainly not ignoring the elephant. It may very well be an imprudent spend. But who gets to decide what is prudent and what is imprudent?

Don't like the museum? Fine. Go tell someone that can do something about it. Fricking harping on it in this forum does nothing at all to change that fact.

7City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:52 am

Anonymous

Roads, sewers, water, fire and police.
vs.
park benches, new logos, middle managers

It actually is easy setting priorities Mr. Dion.

8City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Stop ALL discretionary spending then?

Not another cent until the deficit is done?

9City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:59 am

Anonymous

Too late to do that. Now we just have to cut-back on foolish things we cannot afford. The museum tops my list. Nothing personal.

10City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Out of curiosity what have sandboxers personally done to make Winnipeg, Manitoba and Canada better?

Personally I've volunteered in each of the last Winnipeg municipal, Manitoba provincial and federal elections. I'll likely volunteer in future elections. I'd also like to play a role in developing a new party that will change Canadian politics.

11City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Obviously? Maybe. Probably. Let's draw the line then. Stop all discretionary funding until the deficit is reduced to... What? Is a zero deficit the right number? $1 billion? $5 billion? Can we ever realistically eliminate such a deficit?

I am certainly not ignoring the elephant. It may very well be an imprudent spend. But who gets to decide what is prudent and what is imprudent?

Don't like the museum? Fine. Go tell someone that can do something about it. Fricking harping on it in this forum does nothing at all to change that fact.

so we are to stop talking about things that we cant change by discussing in this forum?

12City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Too late to do that. Now we just have to cut-back on foolish things we cannot afford. The museum tops my list. Nothing personal.
I can accept that the museum tops your list. So let's ignore everything behind us. Going forward shall we drop every discretionary NEW spend?

How will we define "foolish"?

13City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:08 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:so we are to stop talking about things that we cant change by discussing in this forum?

Fine line between discussions and constant harping don't ya think? You know I won't advocate any kind of censoring. If someone has something to say, say it. But I get annoyed at such gratuitous shots. Especially nonsensical ones.

14City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:11 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I sure wish you would quit harping on that point Smile

15City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Out of curiosity what have sandboxers personally done to make Winnipeg, Manitoba and Canada better?

Personally I've volunteered in each of the last Winnipeg municipal, Manitoba provincial and federal elections. I'll likely volunteer in future elections. I'd also like to play a role in developing a new party that will change Canadian politics.
I've volunteered with the Manitoba Mood Disorder Association, Fringe Festival, and West Broadway community centre. It's a start...

16City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Dig wells.
If you don't find oil, you'll find water.
Sell the water to the arabs, in exchange for oil.
Sell the oil to the Americans.
Taddah!

Could somebody make an estimate on the cost of my Arlington CP Yards Underpass project?

If the city gets that done, it will be a great step in the right direction, on how to smoothen traffic to and from north-central Winnipeg.

With global warming coming, there'll be alot of extra money going around for the scarcity of snow plowing, especially in July and August.
lol! :@@@:

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

17City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

/end daily rant.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

18City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You know what is probably bullcrap?? The $7.4 Billion dollar figure.
This is a government figure, probably computer enhanced and seasonally adjusted.
Anyone know what the cost per foot for doing roads?

http://www.elansofas.com

19City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:49 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Electrician wrote:/end daily rant.

why are you ranting? you don't even live here Wink.

http://www.photage.ca

20City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Anyone know what the cost per foot for doing roads?

Yes. Apparently it adds up to $7.4 billion dollars.

21City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Out of curiosity what have sandboxers personally done to make Winnipeg, Manitoba and Canada better?

When it was open, I volunteered Saturdays to hand out refurbished surplus goverment computers to mostly Aboriginal people but also poor and new immigrants, at the Aboriginal Centre. Also gave training sessions to these folks, many of whom were new to computers.

Good for you volunteering during elections.

22City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Obviously? Maybe. Probably. Let's draw the line then. Stop all discretionary funding until the deficit is reduced to... What? Is a zero deficit the right number? $1 billion? $5 billion? Can we ever realistically eliminate such a deficit?

Can we ever become a "have" province or should we just go along with EvilDoer economics and try to stay a "have-not" province?

grumpy old man wrote:I am certainly not ignoring the elephant. It may very well be an imprudent spend. But who gets to decide what is prudent and what is imprudent?

Classic statement. Everyone knew something smelled funny when this first ever private-public partnership for a new national museum very curiously did not have any evidence of a mandate to be created with any tax dollars. No plebiscite. No independent poll that did not ask its question in a way to influence the outcome. No analysis in the mainstream media of what all other spending priorities were at the time and how having a new one would delay others, making them cost millions more in the future. No analysis of declining attendance estimates (essentially ticket sales) and how they would affect the business plan. Hell, no public seen business plan until just recently, in which they are now begging for $45M more. No analysis of the annouced $45M shortfall and whether or not they are taking into consideration the estimated $1.5M - $2M monthly increase in construction costs. The longer it takes to raise $45M, the more they have to raise again, just to keep on top of monthly construction cost increases.

grumpy old man wrote:Don't like the museum? Fine. Go tell someone that can do something about it. Fricking harping on it in this forum does nothing at all to change that fact.

Are you clueless about how politics works? Asper-type wealth buys access to political power. Average joe wealth buys squat, except the privilege to pay for a new, ever-growing sinkhole for tax dollars. And since when does discussing anything on this forum have to result in immediate change? Keep drinking the Asper kool-aid and pass it around to others who don't mind careless spending 'cause we already have a decifit, eh? Let's keep throwing good money after bad because other politicians did so before and that is enough justification to do more of the same.

23City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I can accept that the museum tops your list. So let's ignore everything behind us. Going forward shall we drop every discretionary NEW spend?

If it's going to have to be a NEW white elephant, then let's drop it and perhaps revisit it later during economic boom times. Sound resonable?

grumpy old man wrote:How will we define "foolish"?

Foolish? If it must be a white elephant, then its fcuking foolish. And if it's forced upon us, then it's fcuking totalitarian.

24City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:30 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Unions are to blame for our shoddy infrastructure. And if you need me to explain why then you too are a part of the problem. Wink

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

25City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:29 pm

manitobapost

manitobapost

LivingDead wrote:Unions are to blame for our shoddy infrastructure. And if you need me to explain why then you too are a part of the problem. Wink

As much as I am not a fan of unions , it is not their fault. People in Winnipeg have priorites, they want parks, libraries , city owned golf courses and rec centres instead of good roads.

I prefer going to the Y , private golf courses instead of crappy roads.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum