the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

City Needs More Money To Fix Roads

+9
Goth_chic
manitobapost
LivingDead
Triniman
AGEsAces
Electrician
grumpy old man
Deank
rosencrentz
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:29 pm

manitobapost

LivingDead wrote:Unions are to blame for our shoddy infrastructure. And if you need me to explain why then you too are a part of the problem. Wink

As much as I am not a fan of unions , it is not their fault. People in Winnipeg have priorites, they want parks, libraries , city owned golf courses and rec centres instead of good roads.

I prefer going to the Y , private golf courses instead of crappy roads.

27City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:09 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I go to the wellness and I don't golf. The way I see it, is if you want a rec centre in your hood then fund raise and get it done! Why rely on tax dollars? I don't think the City should be giving any money to social programs, the arts to any of it. Concentrate on keeping our streets in good shape.

28City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:I go to the wellness and I don't golf. The way I see it, is if you want a rec centre in your hood then fund raise and get it done! Why rely on tax dollars? I don't think the City should be giving any money to social programs, the arts to any of it. Concentrate on keeping our streets in good shape.

Agreed.

I'm a golfer but I don't need the taxpayer subsidizing city courses. In fact, all city courses should be privatized.

Definitely concentrate on the infrastructure.

Once we have a prosperous city and province, the public and private sector will bring in new amenities that they taxpayer should not fund.

29City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Anonymous

Goth_chic wrote:I go to the wellness and I don't golf. The way I see it, is if you want a rec centre in your hood then fund raise and get it done! Why rely on tax dollars? I don't think the City should be giving any money to social programs, the arts to any of it. Concentrate on keeping our streets in good shape.

Well there is one problem with that. The incredible gap between the rich areas (Tuxedo/River Heights, Richmond West, East St Paul) and the poorer ones (North End, Central, etc.).
I'm all favor of my tax money going to build and upkeep community centres and recreation facilities in the North End and Central. It would pay for itself in terms of reduced crime and gangs. If kids have something to do in their youth to escape their home situation, the less likely they will turn to drugs, gangs, and crime.

30City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:13 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I live in the Maples...I am far from rich! I just know how to budget my money....

31City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:56 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If we all got those horses that the co-op dairy used to pull the milk wagon around, and used them to get around ,then the infrastructure wouldn't have to be so good and so costly!

http://www.elansofas.com

32City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and we would have more natural fertilizer for the soccer fields

33City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:45 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Out of curiosity what have sandboxers personally done to make Winnipeg, Manitoba and Canada better?

Personally I've volunteered in each of the last Winnipeg municipal, Manitoba provincial and federal elections. I'll likely volunteer in future elections. I'd also like to play a role in developing a new party that will change Canadian politics.

Speaking of sand boxes. I was at Kildonan Park the other day with my kids and the sand boxes there are the same ones I use to play in when I was a child back in the early to mid 70's. They look as if they may of had a coat of pain put on in 1985.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

34City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Triniman wrote:I'm a golfer but I don't need the taxpayer subsidizing city courses. In fact, all city courses should be privatized.

If you hadn't noticed...they are being.

Last year...there were 8 "city" courses...this year...there are only 3.

http://www.photage.ca

35City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

And on goes the endless argument. Its a matter or priorities and we live in a time when the value of money is not understood or appreciated. Spending money on social program and all the soft things without consideration of where its coming from is a sign of today. How many of us are probably overextended on debt? How many students are living a lifestyle based on debt provided through student loans? Our left leaning governments are merely following the same ideas, and remember who puts them there. The idea of government seems to be self perpetuating. What is good for the citizens is not a priority but getting re-elected is.

LEts not hide behind "its what the people want". At some point politicians at all levels have to step up and show some leadership. Doing what is good for us is not necessarily the same as what we want. The example of publicly owned golf courses is a classic example of government stupidity.

36City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:19 am

Anonymous

And if your job was on the line would you support it so fast , well I agree there is change needed we have to look at how and where we do it . There is something good about the public keeping control over some things like water and hydro.
Remember there is alot of people who make there living from those soft programs .

37City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:06 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Then there is the assumption that were those "soft programs" to go away those currently making a living there will never work again?

38City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:53 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

So we've been increasing our capital infrastructure from $120M to around $500M over the past 10 years and our deficit is $7.5 billion? Really? Who's been watching the books during that time? Did this come up in the 5 year capital plan they put out at the end of November? I assume if you're putting together a 5 year capital plan something like this might get mentioned instead of announcing it up 6 months later.

39City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Some of that deficit might be the treatment plants which the Province mandated monstrously expensive retrofits. This is why the province needs to play a greater role. If they are going to mandate retrofits to meet new standards they need to pay.

40City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

They had about $870M listed for capital on sewage treatment as of November to meet the costs of complying with Clean Environment Commission requiremetns.

41City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:06 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

I guess my question is if 6 months ago we decided to spend $2.1 billion over 6 years, how are we now $7.4 billion short?

42City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, the a$$holes running the asylum don't know what they are doing?

43City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:And if your job was on the line would you support it so fast , well I agree there is change needed we have to look at how and where we do it . There is something good about the public keeping control over some things like water and hydro.
Remember there is alot of people who make there living from those soft programs .

Since I work for an agency that receives a significant amount of public money, I guess you could say that my job would be on the line. But isn't that the point, it isn't about ME, its about US. Besides, I have enough confidence in my abilities to be able to work elsewhere.

44City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman wrote:
Pavolo wrote:And if your job was on the line would you support it so fast , well I agree there is change needed we have to look at how and where we do it . There is something good about the public keeping control over some things like water and hydro.

Since I work for an agency that receives a significant amount of public money, I guess you could say that my job would be on the line. But isn't that the point, it isn't about ME, its about US. Besides, I have enough confidence in my abilities to be able to work elsewhere.

And like so many discussions, take a personal shot rather than debate and discuss. It gets tiring.

45City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:50 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The numbers quoted re unsupported!
Facts not in evidence!
Why would we take those numbers as being bad?
By my calculations the city would have every road repaired within 17 years, and that is good!

http://www.elansofas.com

46City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:
Freeman wrote:

And like so many discussions, take a personal shot rather than debate and discuss. It gets tiring.

What is so personal about would you mind your job going if it was for the good of country chill man . You want debate fire away any time you got the itch .

47City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can't be bothered.

48City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Anonymous

Gee thats a cop out

49City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Read the sign....No Fishing.

50City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am

wolfrom

wolfrom

It is strange that there is talk of a calculated amount of infrastructure deficit, but no list of projects is provided. It would be nice to see what they consider to be part of the deficit, and what infrastructure is included. If you add water and waste to the roads, the figure certainly adds up, but it's only roads and bridges, the $7.5 billion does seem like an inflated number.

Are they adding social infrastructure to this total, too?

http://www.reganwolfrom.ca/

51City Needs More Money To Fix Roads - Page 2 Empty Re: City Needs More Money To Fix Roads Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It's likely a ballpark figure some bureaucrat posited based on X miles of roads needs Y amount of upgrades.

A list should be posted on the city website that identifies what needs done, where it is located, how much it will cost and when it is scheduled. There might even be a prioritization number.

That is transparent government and allows input to help in prioritizing such things.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum