the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parking Lot Courtesy

+11
incognito
rosencrentz
Freeman
Goth_chic
LivingDead
holly golightly
sun_wukong
Electrician
Deank
SMW
AGEsAces
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:01 pm

incognito

contributor plus
contributor plus

FlyingRat wrote:5) admittedly drinks and drives on bingo night

Well bingo is an excuse for drinking... no wait... that's curling.

52Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:32 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

incognito wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:5) admittedly drinks and drives on bingo night

Well bingo is an excuse for drinking... no wait... that's curling.

bingo is an excuse for curling?

http://www.photage.ca

53Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

drinking is an excuse for curling!

54Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

drinking is mandatory in curling. Its in the bylaws of the CICA ( Canadian Ice Curling Association ).

2.3.3a
Whereas the winner if in winning, wins by more then 9 points, but less then 13 is obligated to buy one round of drinks for the loosing team immediatly on exiting the ice.
2.3.3b
Whereas the looser if in loosing loosed by less then 10 points or more then 12 is obligated to buy one round of drinks for the winnings team immediatly on exiting the ice.
2.3.3c
Where is either of 2.3.3a or 2.3.3b are deemed violated and proof is submitted the violater begins its following match with 4 points against and forfeits one hammer.

55Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Wow! Tough sport.

56Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yeah...Dean...good "wives tale" there...

But I think they would have actually spelled "losing" correctly if it was an actual bylaw Very Happy

57Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you have not read many constitutions and bylaws have you?

hehehe

58Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:37 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Great xkcd today:

Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Parking

59Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh man yesterday trying to park at the quiznos on route 90 this was exactly the problem I counted 9 different cars parked completely wrong so as to use all two spaces.

60Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:42 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

The universe is conspiring to tell you a message, Deank... eat at subway!

61Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:49 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:Yeah... about the bang the door thing.....so when you are one of the few vehicles in the parking lot. And there are about 15 empty spots between your vehicle and the door and the moron parks right next to you... does his car deserve to get banged by your door accidently because your kid has an arm load of groceries?

Not that say that happened to me last Wednesday at the Superstore warehouse on Route 90 or anything I am just making up an example.

I saw this one Douche that was parked over the line and some one parked super close to him. He couldn't open is door, so he kicked the crap out the car beside him and the dent was big enough that he could open his door enough to get it! lol!

62Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Anonymous

It always amazes me how people speed in parking lots , and pay no attention to the chidren who might run out from cars.

63Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I have a real problem with people who park in handicapped spots who are not handicapped. I have seen people who have the hanger on their mirror and yet there is no reason for them to be using it. (I'm only going to be a minute attitiude)
I am sorry IMO unless you have a physical disability you do not need to have a handicapped parking spot. If you have had a heart attack or stroke that has not made you physically disabled, the walk from the car to the entrance will do you some good and you may get some exercise. And as for the people who think it is ok to park in the "mom's with small children/expectant mom's" spots, that is just as ignorant as taking the handicapped spot. There are spots like these at the gym I go to and there are folks who continuously park in the mom's spots and when they are confronted, the excuses that are used are lame and to some extent sad. I have had one gentleman tell me he couldn't read English so didn't know what the sign said and then not 10 minutes later he is on the treadmill reading a Sports Illustrated. I asked him what month the mag was dated and he read it right off the front for me. I almost lost it. Maybe I am am oversensitive to this particular thing but it really irks me to see all of the young moms who bring their small children to the gym and have to park in the back 40 because some *&&hole doesn't want to be late for his badminton game!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break, you are at the gym, it won't hurt to walk a little!

And if you have a "fancy" car and think that it is better than the rest, and want park it in 2 spaces then take the 2 spaces that are furtherest from the main door if you don't want to have someone else parking too close. If it is a busy day at the mall and you are parked close to the door and taking up 2 spots and another car can squeeze in, you deserve it. If your car is so precious and you don't want it damaged, leave it at home.

64Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

holly golightly wrote:I have a real problem with people who park in handicapped spots who are not handicapped. I have seen people who have the hanger on their mirror and yet there is no reason for them to be using it. (I'm only going to be a minute attitiude)
I am sorry IMO unless you have a physical disability you do not need to have a handicapped parking spot. If you have had a heart attack or stroke that has not made you physically disabled, the walk from the car to the entrance will do you some good and you may get some exercise. And as for the people who think it is ok to park in the "mom's with small children/expectant mom's" spots, that is just as ignorant as taking the handicapped spot. There are spots like these at the gym I go to and there are folks who continuously park in the mom's spots and when they are confronted, the excuses that are used are lame and to some extent sad. I have had one gentleman tell me he couldn't read English so didn't know what the sign said and then not 10 minutes later he is on the treadmill reading a Sports Illustrated. I asked him what month the mag was dated and he read it right off the front for me. I almost lost it. Maybe I am am oversensitive to this particular thing but it really irks me to see all of the young moms who bring their small children to the gym and have to park in the back 40 because some *&&hole doesn't want to be late for his badminton game!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break, you are at the gym, it won't hurt to walk a little!

And if you have a "fancy" car and think that it is better than the rest, and want park it in 2 spaces then take the 2 spaces that are furtherest from the main door if you don't want to have someone else parking too close. If it is a busy day at the mall and you are parked close to the door and taking up 2 spots and another car can squeeze in, you deserve it. If your car is so precious and you don't want it damaged, leave it at home.

I agree for the most part with your sentiments. However, there is a flaw in the disability permit system that causes problems. I'll relate my story.

I broke my leg and it was put in an air cast. I could still drive, however, had to use crutches to walk. I contacted SMD about a parking pass. I was going to have to pay for it, and the application process at the time was such that by the time I would receive the pass, my leg would be healed.

So I parked in the handicapped spots without a permit. Often I would get dirty looks and the occasional time a person would say something. Once I pulled out the crutches, I would always get sheepish looks.

So, just because someone doesn't have a parking pass, doesn't mean they don;t have a disability, it may just mean they don't have a parking pass.

Now, the able bodies that park there - that's a different story!

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

65Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

holly golightly wrote:I have a real problem with people who park in handicapped spots who are not handicapped. I have seen people who have the hanger on their mirror and yet there is no reason for them to be using it. (I'm only going to be a minute attitiude)
I am sorry IMO unless you have a physical disability you do not need to have a handicapped parking spot. If you have had a heart attack or stroke that has not made you physically disabled, the walk from the car to the entrance will do you some good and you may get some exercise. And as for the people who think it is ok to park in the "mom's with small children/expectant mom's" spots, that is just as ignorant as taking the handicapped spot. There are spots like these at the gym I go to and there are folks who continuously park in the mom's spots and when they are confronted, the excuses that are used are lame and to some extent sad. I have had one gentleman tell me he couldn't read English so didn't know what the sign said and then not 10 minutes later he is on the treadmill reading a Sports Illustrated. I asked him what month the mag was dated and he read it right off the front for me. I almost lost it. Maybe I am am oversensitive to this particular thing but it really irks me

I'll relate my story (just happened on Saturday).

Took my 3 1/2 year old to WalMart...we parked about 12 spaces back, near the cart return.
While walking to the door, there was a "parent" spot...and a woman in a small car pulled in with her friend. At first I was going to say something, but then I noticed the baby seat in the back...so figured "no problem".
Then, the two of them walked into the store, with no baby (and it was clear neither of them were significantly pregnant). So I checked the seat...empty...and my daughter and I went in.

About 1/2 way through our shopping...I spotted the two women...and started talking as though my daughter had asked me a question...LOUDLY!!!

I said "YOU SEE HUN, THERE ARE STUPID PEOPLE IN THE WORLD...WHO CAN'T READ SIGNS THAT SAY FOR PARENTS WITH CHILDREN".

We kept walking...one of the women came up to me and said "were you talking about me?"
I said..."oh...are you the woman who parked in the parents with children spot...with no kid? I guess the big pink sign wasn't clearly posted. Oh well..." and walked off.

When we were checking out, one of the women was in the checkout next to us...the other came walking up from somewhere.
When my daughter and I left ahead of them...I took notice that the car they came in was gone...she must've actually grown a conscience and moved it.

66Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 am

Anonymous

Hopefully it got towed. Smile

Speaking of which, Safeway on River is now doing just that...towing cars that are not their customers.

67Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

they donht actually tow from the pink spots as it is not by law that stores offer them.. its by smart intuitive thinking.

68Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I actually carry around small business cards that has info on it on why these spots are important to the people who really need them and I will put in under the windshield wiper blade of a car that I see the driver getting out of that should not be there (such as the ladies that Ages ran into). I too would also say something, depending on who they were and the attitude they pervey (I have been acosted physically after making a comment about a woman who parked in a pink spot and got out of the car without a child in tow) On this card I have written "These spots are for the use of parents who are accompanying small children to the building. By parking your vehicle in this spot you are jeopordizing the life of a child and his/her parent who now has to park further away and dodge traffic to reach the front door." I also leave my name and business phone number just in case anyone has an issue with my comments. If the car in question is at the gym facility I will also take down the license number and leave it at the front desk as the front desk is tracking these cars to let them know they are being monitored.

69Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:36 am

Anonymous

Ya blew it with the comment about jeopordizing the life of a child. I mean...really?

70Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF, these spots are there as a safety measure and courtesy for the parents so that children are not being guided through a busy parking lot, having to watch out for the speeding cars (as Pav has indicated). Do you not think that by ignorant people parking in these spots, making the parents park farther away, does not jeopordize the child's life? We've all seen how people drive in the Walmart parking lot, Safeway parking lot, Polo Park etc, and most are only looking for one thing and that is the closest and most convenient spot for them so they don't have to walk. Most could care less if there are people walking anywhere near them and that includes children and seniors. A child who is hit by a car going 10-15 km/h has more of a chance of suffering a serious injury to their head that a grown adult as more of their body will be hit by the car and the chance that they will hit their head on the pavement is much greater as well.

71Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 am

Anonymous

They are there for pregnant women and parents with babies/carryable kids imo...just for convenience. Safety is a very big stretch.

72Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF Holly is right. I have twins who are 3 years old. Let me tell you, trying to guide them through a busy parking lot could be very dangerous. I rarely get to park in the spots designated for parents with small children, usually people with NO KIDS park in those spots. It really pisses me off....

73Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am

Anonymous

I've guided kids through parking lots myself and it was never that big a deal. That long cold walk in the parking lot was, however.

74Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually...I have to agree with JTF on this Holly.

It's basically a handicap spot for people with extra baggage to carry..ie. a pregnant woman, or people carrying kids.

Once your kid can walk on their own...get out of those spots...you don't belong there.

As soon as my daughter was about 1 and started walking with me holding her hand...I quit parking in those spots.

They are for parents who have to load/unload strollers/carriers/etc. so they don't have to drag them so far. And for pregnant women who may have difficulty (read OBVIOUSLY pregnant).

Unfortunately...the signs aren't big enough to make it clear.

As for the business card idea...not bad...though you risk being charged with soliciting...since the parking lots are private property.

75Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My wife has a handicapped tag for her mother as she frequently takes her shopping, appointments etc, but its never abused.

When my kids were small, I owned a BFV (big fricking van) and I frequently parked deliberately taking up 2 stalls so I could unload the stroller from the back and load the 3 boys into it from the side door. Usually, I had to park far enough away from the door in order to get 2 stalls. If you've ever seen a triplet stroller, you would understand. I'm quite sure that I was cursed on many occassions for taking up 2 stalls, but oh well.

The moral of the story is: that while it may not be obvious to you, there might be a legitimate reason for someone's apparent ignorance.

76Parking Lot Courtesy - Page 3 Empty Re: Parking Lot Courtesy Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

then again.. sometimes people are just assholes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum