the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg

+35
RogerStrong
Miz point
Northlands
umcrouc0
toban71
Bark and Bite
Mantha
eViL tRoLl
trebor204
AGEsAces
djh
holly golightly
casualchris
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
death128
St Norberter
JT Estoban
Bartron
Jondo
SuperNaut
Triniman
FlyingRat
USApegger
cherenkov
rosencrentz
LivingDead
EdWin
GGF
Outsider
Mr_Point
Deank
Electrician
sputnik
grumpy old man
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 27]

JT Estoban

major-contributor
major-contributor

Good 'ol metal benches...

Same goes with the bathroom.....bring back the trough! NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 Icon_razz

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Bite your tongue.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

gotta tell you..the trough might not be a bad idea.. the line ups for the mens washrooms are a little ridiculous even when there is only 6500 people in the building

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Take a pee before you leave home and hold it until you get home. Voila!

Oh, and don't drink anything in between.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

The mighty little commish says no teams are moving any time soon....

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/01/21/12563671-qmi.html

“We’re not moving any teams right now and we’re not expanding, so it’s really academic at this point,” Bettman said.

So, unless Bettman is going to do a massive reversal (Past is prologue, so how many times has he done that before?) at the end of the Olympics - right around the time when the NHL would really rather the focus turns back to the playoff race - this is all just wild speculation based on a old rumor.

Been fooled a few too many times.....what's that old Bush line....Fool me once...shame on...well, the point is, you won't fool me again! lol NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 Icon_wink

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I saw that New Jersey has an announced crowd of 5000~ at their last game. Take note of attendance at every team in the south. Even Denver is doing very poorly.

Little bettman may be wearing rose coloured glasses but even the uber-rich will not continue to sustain heavy losses year-in and year-out.

And those teams that are making money will get tired of subsidizing bettmans little gambit if not already.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Bettman is a Boob. And not a nice boob either. One of those boobs that was first in line for plastic surgery only to have the solution burst and totally disfigure it beyond any hope of repair.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I saw that New Jersey has an announced crowd of 5000~ at their last game. Take note of attendance at every team in the south. Even Denver is doing very poorly.

Little bettman may be wearing rose coloured glasses but even the uber-rich will not continue to sustain heavy losses year-in and year-out.

And those teams that are making money will get tired of subsidizing bettmans little gambit if not already.

Agreed....been saying the same thing for years.

The one thing that others, such as Al Strachan and others critical of the NHL's attendance figures....which are dubious to say the least.

Especially when you consider that some teams pad the attendance numbers with free ticket giveaways....thousands of tickets.

Some franchises have included tons of incentives for ticket holders. Free parking, food and merchandise vouchers...all kinds of things to entice southerners to come to the games.

A general rule of thumb, take a huge grain of salt with the announced or reported NHL attendance figures. It's skewed heavily in it's own favor...even if it looks bad on paper, it's more likely that it's far, far worse even than that!

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:You are assuming that a team needs 20,000 seats. If the average NHL arena team sat 20,000 for every game you'd have a point.

I think in a perfect world 20k seats would be nice. That is not a reality in Winnipeg. Creative pricing and superb management will have to do the trick me thinks. For now...

Creative pricing, and superb management practices...with the exception of the Moose...those are not traits that are considered hallmarks of Winnipeg based professional sports teams....IMO. NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 Icon_eek

If you modify that slightly to "Un-creative pricing, and superb mismanagement.... that would be different! lol

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 886966

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JT Estoban wrote:Creative pricing, and superb management practices...with the exception of the Moose...those are not traits that are considered hallmarks of Winnipeg based professional sports teams....IMO.
And there you have it! The folks that have run that franchise (and the Goldeyes for that matter) have been posited as model franchises.

Perhaps there is something to private sports ownership after all. Hmmm. Interesting thought. Could that model work for the Bombers? Me thinks it can indeed...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

one other thing to understand is that some of these Mega Rich owners get off the power trip of owning a prosports team

And tickets sales and game day revenue in Winnipeg would probably cover the 57 mill payroll with what another 10 million in expenses that would need to be covered since the MTS centre pays for itself it not something the owner would have to worry about (as is the case in other areas)

losing 10 mill per year (and that being a tax right off so even then gets parred down to a smaller actual loss) would really not mean alot to some people.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If it were just 10 mill a year I'd say you are right Deank. Phoenix loses $30 - $45 million a year. I think the NYI lose more.

Many of those owners have big egos but most did not get uber-rich by luck...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:And tickets sales and game day revenue in Winnipeg would probably cover the 57 mill payroll

Almost PRECISELY the number I calculated. That does not include TV and radio, memorabilia and other non-game day revenues.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:If it were just 10 mill a year I'd say you are right Deank. Phoenix loses $30 - $45 million a year. I think the NYI lose more.

Many of those owners have big egos but most did not get uber-rich by luck...

pheonix looses that much because they have no ticket sales and no game day revenue. Smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"and the Goldeyes for that matter"

achoocrocusloanachoo

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's funny.

achoocrocusloanachoo or no that stadium is a fun place to take in a game and they average what 7000 peeps in the seats?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. no doubt. they have the league best numbers for attendance most years... something like 70% of home weekday evening games were sell outs the one year

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

You fella's picked out your season tickets yet?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup.

mind you I also think I have picked the right numbers for tonights Lotto Max

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My last seats were on the north blue line, 18 rows up. Damn fine seats. Took about 10 years to rotate into those prime seats.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

BUT, in Winnipeg, you can have 41 WINTER CLASSICS (plus playoffs), at the stadium without any difficulty. Micky dealers would make more dough than ticket revenues.
NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 Lol

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's simply untrue. You damn well know that in Winnipeg we have three months of winter and 9 months of poor sledding.

You Italians, and...... goo

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Electrician wrote:BUT, in Winnipeg, you can have 41 WINTER CLASSICS (plus playoffs), at the stadium without any difficulty. Micky dealers would make more dough than ticket revenues.
NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 Lol

nah this is the peg.. slurpee sales would be more.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:That's simply untrue. You damn well know that in Winnipeg we have three months of winter and 9 months of poor sledding.

You Italians, and...... goo
Or was it three months of summer and 9 months of poor driving...
NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 6 114687

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

12 months of poor driving....seasons don't seem to matter!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

any interested Jets fans going to this?
http://gtsportsmarketing.ca/about-gt-sports-marketing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum