the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Over 800 Wpg School Division 1 - sick day during blizzard

+9
Miz point
holly golightly
sputnik
grumpyrom
Freeman
rosencrentz
trebor204
Deank
Triniman
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

What options are available holly?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:Well, working 200 or so days a year is extremely stressful....especially in those conditions (working with kids). lol

Cry me a river eh.

heh... I dont think you have ever had the chance to be fresh from university and full of ideas of helping educate youngsters and then end up having to teach math to high school students in northern Manitoba. To this day I wonder where that teacher ended up and if she is still in the teaching profession. she lasted until mid October.

Anonymous

Holly, can you take a screen shot of the form that is required to be filled out?

If this form is so screwed up, one must ask the obvious questions....Who made up this thing; is it being set up by dumbies, and are dumbies running things?

(...my own....and these people are teaching our kids!!!!)

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Well, working 200 or so days a year is extremely stressful....especially in those conditions (working with kids). lol

Cry me a river eh.

The above post is no different than a huge sticker on your forehead that says

'Look at me, I'm incredibly ignorant!'

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

holly golightly wrote:Yes but again given the fact that the computerized system limits the choices, the employees can only work within what the system allows them to. If the system is set up the be dishonest by not having "weather conditions" as an option then is that the fault of the employees or the employer? I would think the employer who in this case is the one that required this system in the first place and assisted with the design when it was first implemented.
LTD or STD would not be part of the equation because these staff members would not have had to call in "sick" for that day. This fiasco is looking at only the staff members who "called in sick" for that one day. If you are on LTD or STD there is a term posistion employee that is replacing you.

Oh yeah, I realize that LTD or STD claimants wouldn't have to call in, but depending on where the number came from - was it an automated report from the call in system? or was it manually compiled? If it was manually compiled, it could be manipulated to add the LTD and STD claimants to make the number look bigger than it actually is, that's all.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I will see if I can get a shot of the teacher assistant site tonight (from my husband) to show what is available to those employees. It is very similar to the teachers' site but with different options as to what coverage is. JTF, it was not the teachers who set up this system but rather the administration (many who are now retired) and the trustees. Thankfully the trustees are not in the classroom because the group we have in Wpg #1 for the most part are not too swift.
I remember when the teacher site was first implemented, there was a lot of hue and cry from the teachers because it did not allow for detailed instructions to be left for the sub. As well when you are a substitute teacher you are called by a computerized system and you are again not given a lot of detail of what the day's job entails so you could be walking into a situation that you may not be trained to deal with. BUT one of the benefits of this program is if you have a regular sub that you are comfortable with and he/she is willing and available you can designate on the computer system that this is the person requested for the job. You can then complete the absence, receive a "job #" and call that person to provide them with that job #. That sub can then go into his or her site and look up the job # and accept it.
Again remember a lot of what I am relaying here is from my experinces of 12 years ago but from what I have heard from friends who are still in the profession and from my hubby, not a lot has changed in this time with the call in system.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

So they called in sick for an 8 hour day.

I think some on this board spend about 8 hours a week at work posting/checking this forum.

Watch the stones in the glass homes, folks. Over 800 Wpg School Division 1 - sick day during blizzard - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Mantha wrote:So they called in sick for an 8 hour day.
Is this acceptable?

Isn't that the issue?

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:
Is this acceptable?

Isn't that the issue?

It's totally acceptable. And it's totally acceptable for them not to receive pay without a doctors note.

Just thought I'd give a big picture perspective. There's a lot of judging going on, and I bet at some point in every one of our lives, we've taken a non-sick sick day or wasted time on message boards.

On the bright side, a lot of subs got paid!

Anonymous

St Norberter wrote:

Cry me a river eh.

I see you are/ may be one of those cockroaches that doesn't want to pay for city services but still takes advantage of them when living out of town....

If you chose to live out of town and can't make it into work...suck it up and take the pay cut!!

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:If you chose to live out of town and can't make it into work...suck it up and take the pay cut!!

How many of the affected are actually complaining? It wouldn't surprise me if most of them are fine with the lack of a paid day, and that it's just the damn unions looking for a 'make work' project so they seem like they are earning the chunk of change they steal from everyone's paycheques...

Anonymous

Good point.

However, I think that the teachers, etc. are behind this.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
St Norberter wrote:

Cry me a river eh.

I see you are/ may be one of those cockroaches that doesn't want to pay for city services but still takes advantage of them when living out of town....

If you chose to live out of town and can't make it into work...suck it up and take the pay cut!!

No, actually I'm not.

And this post and your earlier post imply two totally different things.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Good point.

However, I think that the teachers, etc. are behind this.
I beg to differ. It is the one trustee behind this complaining (publically) and I happen to think he is in the early stages of the election campaign considering this is an election year.
I have a screen shot of what is available but I can't seem to figure out how to copy or link it here. I have it saved as an XML. If someone can help me.............

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Assuming you're using a PC:

Take a screenshot by pressing the printscreen key.
Paste (control+v) into a paint-tpe program (MS Paint will do)
Save as a GIF file.
in the forum, click on the "host an image" button (the icon looks like a floopy disk in from of a framed image of a tree)
upload the image file, copy the link, and paste into the forum message box.

Hope that works for ya.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"It is the one trustee behind this complaining (publically) and I happen to think he is in the early stages of the election campaign considering this is an election year."

word on the street was that he was definately NOT running again this year. how much merit can be put into that I do not know.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:"It is the one trustee behind this complaining (publically) and I happen to think he is in the early stages of the election campaign considering this is an election year."

word on the street was that he was definately NOT running again this year. how much merit can be put into that I do not know.

Perhaps he's planning on running for something bigger, and needs the publicity?

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/13/22/84/51/absent13.gif
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/13/22/84/51/absent14.gif
Here are the screen shots of what is available for using when an aide is going to be away. Granted there are a lot more than what I remeber, it still does not give a lot of choice for conditions like a blizzard or other situational circumstances similar to that. As well some on this list also must be first approved and accompany a Short Term Leave request approved by the principal, and HR. And why convocation and graduation are both on here is beyond me as they are the same concept.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats possible

Anonymous

They have 'special circumstances' and a 'discretionary day' but no special listing for 'weather'.

Can it be that they do not consider 'weather' a valid reason to miss work unless there is an extraordinary storm, in which case, the schools are closed?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

how exactly are union meetings a valid reason?

Anonymous

"work related" bs probably.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:how exactly are union meetings a valid reason?

Probably contractual.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah I know, but my point being that it should not be.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Only if you are a shop steward can you use union meeting as a reason for absence. I also found out that this is the same system that is used for both aides and teachers, it is when you sign in that it determines what your position is.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think some on this board spend about 8 hours a week at work posting/checking this forum.

Watch the stones in the glass homes, folks. Over 800 Wpg School Division 1 - sick day during blizzard - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Ha had...brilliant. I never even thought of that. Over 800 Wpg School Division 1 - sick day during blizzard - Page 3 114687

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum