the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we good neighbours only if there's a blizzard?

+4
Deank
Triniman
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are we good neighbours only if there's a blizzard?

By: Gordon Sinclair Jr.

I have a question for you.

Call it the Good Samaritan test.

It's lunch hour on a wind-chilled winter-like day and you're pulling out of a Safeway parking lot. The one at Kenaston Boulevard and Lindenwood Drive East.

You turn right, towards the homes in the generally affluent south-side suburban neighbourhood, far from the other side of the city, where this week police reported a steep increase in violent crime. And then, as you turn, something catches your eye. A person is standing at the bus stop, clutching a shopping bag with one hand and flagging you down with the other.

The person appears to be cold and looking for a ride.

Here's the question.

Would you stop and help?

-- -- --

This week, I put that scenario and that question to a group of staff and patrons at an optical outlet I was visiting. My little test group was hardly scientific. Seven people, all of whom happened to be women. Two were in their late 20s. One was in her early 70s. And the other four were in their 50s.

Since they were all women, the answers that followed were both predictable and surprising.

You might have noticed I had left out the age, sex and ethnicity of the hypothetical 'person' at the bus stop.

So after putting the question out, I was waiting for someone in the group to start with, "It depends..."

But before anyone could do that, one of the four 50-somethings in the group caught us all by surprise.

She said she had actually picked up someone from that exact location. In that real-life case, the 'person' was an elderly woman, but she wasn't standing at the bus stop and she wasn't asking for a ride. She was carrying groceries, though, so the middle-aged woman offered her a ride.

I was impressed. But not for long.

Having heard that story, I decided to adapt my question to fit that situation. I asked how many of the other six women would have stopped and offered the elderly woman a ride. Four of them said they would. Two said they wouldn't.

The two who wouldn't were the pair of 20-somethings.

One said she probably wouldn't have seen the elderly woman carrying her groceries. The other one, who was 27, said this: "For me it would be time."

Having heard that, I decided to tell the little test group the event that prompted the question.

Last week over the lunch hour, as I turned right out of the Lindenwoods Safeway parking lot, something caught my eye. Actually it was someone.

A man with a shopping bag in one hand was trying to flag me down with the other.

Shivering.

He was already in the car when I asked where he was going. He gave me a street name not far from my own.

His name was Kenneth Otieno, he was 34, born in Kenya, educated in England and he and his wife, Dorcas, and their little girl were living with friends while he worked as a youth pastor and counsellor at a Fort Richmond church.

Kenneth was still putting his seatbelt on when he told me he had been waiting an hour because the bus was late.

Which is why he decided to try to flag down a ride. Something, he doesn't know what, made him count as they passed.

"Twenty-five cars went by," Kenneth said. Most of the people behind the wheels were women, he recalled.

Most of them smiled at him as they drove by. He said he understood why the women hadn't stopped. They would be afraid they were picking up a "thug," as he put it.

In fact, in his crime-infested country, Kenneth said, no one stops to pick up a stranger. But he was so cold and people in Winnipeg had been so warm to him during the year he and his family have been here, he thought someone would stop.

I remember feeling such shame when he told me that.

But in the end, all that mattered to Kenneth was someone stopped so he could get home with the "baby blanket" he'd bought at Walmart for his just-turned-two daughter, Michelle, and the cough medication he'd bought for himself.

He was so grateful.

-- -- --

It was later, while I was walking Tate, my snow-white golden retriever, that I started to think about how different Winnipeggers are when we have a blizzard, like the one that famously shut down the city in March of 1966.

How, when we are all forced to slow down, and have to struggle through the snow together, we tend to see Winnipeg as one big neighbourhood.

And everyone as a neighbour who needs help when they get stuck.

Maybe that's the question I really should have asked.

Would you have given a ride to a person stranded in a blizzard? Or would you still be too frozen by fear?

gordon.sinclair@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 4, 2010 B1

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is nothing more than sinclair sensationalising nothing. This one anecdote says absolutely nothing about Winnipeg and Winnipeggers. It does scream volumes about sinclair though.

I guess sinclair never reads what may well be the best feature his paper publishes: Random Acts of Kindness

Go find a real newsworthy story to sensationalise sinclair.

Anonymous

To bad all of the media donate so much time and space to the bad news .

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yesterday while I was out and about on purchasing some fresh pickeral for tonight's annual Chanukkah supper, I went into Neptune's fishy store on Dufferin and Powers. When I went in there were 2 aboriginal women mysteriously hanging out in front, one with a baby in a toboggan-like contraption.
When I came out I asked them if they were waiting for the bus, and they had been waiting an hour. I asked them where they were "heading.
Over the "Salter" bridge. I asked them if they wanted a ride, dropped them off behind Reidiger's and they continued on their walk home, with a "thank you very much!
I then went back to the North End, down to my Community Centre, Ralph Brown.
No big deal for me- 10 minutes out of my way.
Who wouldn't help a stranger out, when the opportunity arose?

I think that was the way I was raised in the North End, ut that also might be "Facts not in evidence?"

Wait, I was in the North End at Ralph Brown inspecting a minor problem that I think I can fix up for them!

http://www.elansofas.com

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Well done, Rosencrentz! You have a heart of gold.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

And my problem is the opposite.

Far too often people are distrusting of why I am stopping to offer them a ride and they refuse.

One time with snow almost to my knees (never mind the senior lady struggling down the sidewalk) I jumped out and offered her a ride. She said. I dont accept rides from strangers. I said are you sure, I pointed to my family sitting in the van to prove I was not some crazy wacko (or at least not a crazy wacko that only went after senior women I guess). she said no. So I said fine and waved at my wife to go home and I snowplowed the sidewalk for about 3 blocks using only my shoe clad feet to plow the trail.

There are lots of people who are nice in Winnipeg. Just mostly not from around where Gord lives I take it.

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

Apparently we're only nice in a blizzard. Apparently the printed media is out of touch.

Which of the statements is true?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

printed media is out of touch and sensationalizes stuff that they feel is "amazing" when it is in fact quite common place.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

i've offered the odd ride here and there.

not with my family in the car...it's one thing to put myself in potential danger...but i won't take the chance of making them hostages in a more serious situation.

and the answer to sinclair's "wonder" if anyone would say "it depends" would be true of ANYONE...no matter the weather or who it is.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

Sinclair is a snob. " while I was walking Tate, my snow-white golden retriever" the "optical outlet " ???

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

I wonder if he picked up one person just so he could write an article about it.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:One time with snow almost to my knees (never mind the senior lady struggling down the sidewalk) I jumped out and offered her a ride. She said. I dont accept rides from strangers. I said are you sure, I pointed to my family sitting in the van to prove I was not some crazy wacko (or at least not a crazy wacko that only went after senior women I guess). she said no.

She probably saw that episode of Criminal Minds. Smile

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:

There are lots of people who are nice in Winnipeg. Just mostly not from around where Gord lives I take it.
Completely understandable, I wouldn't be nice if I lived around Sinclair

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum