the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Over 800 Wpg School Division 1 - sick day during blizzard

+9
Miz point
holly golightly
sputnik
grumpyrom
Freeman
rosencrentz
trebor204
Deank
Triniman
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Does the call in software have "inclement weather" or "other"?

I bet they selected "sick" to avoid the hassle of explaining why they couldn't be bothered to try to get to work.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No matter how you cut it, 4 times the average number of staff taking a day off because of a "mild" blizzard is unacceptable. SO how much did it cost in terms of lost, paid time plus additional costs for substitutes and overtime in the case of caretakers. The fact that "its in the budget" is irrelevant, as its assumed that those people are actually productive when they are being paid.

Working in a social service agency, it is difficult to get the point across that there is a cost of lost time. As there is no concrete measure of productivity, staff, and some managers, don't appreciate the impact of idle and lost time. Thats what the issue is here.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"And as has been mentioned on the comments section of the Free Press, what doctor is going to write a note for an "illness" that happened 2 weeks ago???????????"

no legimate doctor AND I find the whole process of a note for one days illness ludicous . If I am well enough to wait in a doctors office for a note.. I am well enough to be at work,

Anonymous

If one choses to live outside the city one must expect to have this happen. Suck it up teachers, or move back to the city in which you work.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Does the call in software have "inclement weather" or "other"?
These are not options on the call in system. But I bet they will be in the future.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Perhaps holly could enlighten us, but I assume that there is something in the collective agreement for teachers that a doctors note "may" be required for any sick day. We have adopted such a policy for exactly this type of situation, where it is suspicious that the person phoning in sick, may not actually be sick. Of course, someone who faithfully shows up for work, rarely misses, would not be asked for such a note, but the other person who regularly takes a day each month, Monday or Friday may be told to get a note the next time they call in sick.

Bottom line, 800 people phoning in sick were not all sick. If you choose to live out of town, then be prepared for the ramifications of that. If anyone of these people were not sick, then buck up and say I'm not coming in because....., but don't expect to be paid under the guise of being sick.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and in related news.

Indianapolis is delaying school start for 2 hours because of the last time so many school bus drives called in "sick"

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Morning-after-Indianapolis-Public-Schools-impose-2-hour-delay-morning-after-Super-Bowl.html

"
After the Colts beat the Chicago Bears in the 2007 Super Bowl, so many bus drivers called in sick the next morning that IPS officials cancelled classes systemwide."

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Probaby a lot of hung over teachers as well didn't make for an active learning environment.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

From what I remember of the contract I signed many years ago and most likely the contract wording may have changed since then, the only requirement was if a teacher was absent for more than 3 days, a doctor's note would be required. So I could have taken 3 days off before I had to provide proof that I was in fact sick with a nasty cold, flu, migraine, etc. If on the 4th day I was still not there then I had to provide this certificate. I have been out of the public system for many years now so not sure what the current agreement is but that is the standard agreement for most major companies including the international one I work for now. I do know that my husband's agreement is after 3 days a doctor's note is required and he is part of WANTE which is the Wpg Association of Non Teaching Employees (aides, clerks, librarians, etc).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yep that is the standard agreement nowadays in the private sector. Mind you that has a lot to do with STD kicking in to.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:yep that is the standard agreement nowadays in the private sector. Mind you that has a lot to do with STD kicking in to.
STD = sexually transmitted disease???

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ya you betcha.. pretty common when working in the privates.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:Perhaps holly could enlighten us, but I assume that there is something in the collective agreement for teachers that a doctors note "may" be required for any sick day. We have adopted such a policy for exactly this type of situation, where it is suspicious that the person phoning in sick, may not actually be sick. Of course, someone who faithfully shows up for work, rarely misses, would not be asked for such a note, but the other person who regularly takes a day each month, Monday or Friday may be told to get a note the next time they call in sick.

Bottom line, 800 people phoning in sick were not all sick. If you choose to live out of town, then be prepared for the ramifications of that. If anyone of these people were not sick, then buck up and say I'm not coming in because....., but don't expect to be paid under the guise of being sick.

Bottom line 800 sounds like a lot...but 800 out of 4500 is 17.7% of total employees. About the same amount I would say that didn't make it in to my workplace that day as well. Roughly 1 in 6. Thats not a huge percentage.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh buy grumpyrom a slight difference with mine and your work places... were temp workers called in to replace our jobs? nope.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

In my workplace only one person could not get in and she lives out-of-town... So about 95% succeeded in getting in. Given the conditions that is a reasonable percentage. And really, that is the issue. The conditions were not that bad at all. Certainly not what one would expect in a "blizzard".

17.7% is outrageous IMO.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

I don't buy the 'Couldn't make it to school argument'

Mind you, Wife is a teacher,she went to work ( even though she only had 14 students). She worked at a rural division one year that would often cancel classes but require teachers to report during inclement weather. She enjoyed having the day at school to do correcting and lesson planning.

Were the ones that called in doing that at home? Or not?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Anonymous

I heard on the radio, some kitchen renovation store thought that they'd be really slow because of the storm, but were really busy with...you guessed it.....mostly teachers.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:In my workplace only one person could not get in and she lives out-of-town... So about 95% succeeded in getting in. Given the conditions that is a reasonable percentage. And really, that is the issue. The conditions were not that bad at all. Certainly not what one would expect in a "blizzard".

17.7% is outrageous IMO.

Looks like it was more like 400 persons, or about 9%, according to CBC. CJOB says it was 800 (200 of them teachers.)

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

And no one on here knows what other circumstances there were that had some of these employees to call in "sick" for the day. Some may have had children that were at home that could not go to school because their buses were not running because of the weather. Again if this is the case, there is not an option on the computerized system for this type of absence. We can all speculate why these employees were "sick" but we really don't know how many of them actually were ill.

Anonymous

That number could easily be found by subtracting the number of absentees from the day after.

I don't buy this "24 hour" flu crap btw....26 ounce perhaps. Wink

If someone called in and said they were unable to come to work because of the road conditions or child issues, it's one thing, but to say you are sick when you are not, presents other issues....honesty for one.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:If someone called in and said they were unable to come to work because of the road conditions or child issues, it's one thing, but to say you are sick when you are not, presents other issues....honesty for one.

Thats the point!! JTF is right, as usual.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Agreed.

I also am interested in if they have included the number that are off on Long Term Disability in those counts. If so, then they would be inflated. It seems that that profession is more susceptable to LTD claims than average. The LTD premiums they pay are nuts, and since premiums are related to claims.....

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If true...

I wonder why they have so many LTD claims? Stress? Cancer?

Anonymous

Well, working 200 or so days a year is extremely stressful....especially in those conditions (working with kids). lol

Cry me a river eh.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes but again given the fact that the computerized system limits the choices, the employees can only work within what the system allows them to. If the system is set up the be dishonest by not having "weather conditions" as an option then is that the fault of the employees or the employer? I would think the employer who in this case is the one that required this system in the first place and assisted with the design when it was first implemented.
LTD or STD would not be part of the equation because these staff members would not have had to call in "sick" for that day. This fiasco is looking at only the staff members who "called in sick" for that one day. If you are on LTD or STD there is a term posistion employee that is replacing you.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What options are available holly?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum