the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aboriginals

+9
Freeman
LivingDead
death128
EdWin
rosencrentz
Goth_chic
Deank
Triniman
grumpy old man
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 am

Sure as hell did not fight in the second world war, and they had the right to work in a factory which a native women could not .

102Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:02 am

Anonymous

Probaly another right was the right to own their own home , Natives that is .

103Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You said nothing about fighting in the second world war. But they sure as hell died in the second world war.
Approximately 50,000 women served in the Second World War, in the nursing services of the army, navy and air force; in the Canadian Women's Army Corps (CWAC); in the Women's Division (WD) of the Royal Canadian Air Force; and in the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS, or Wrens). Approximately 8,000 served overseas. Casualties included 73 killed: 6 navy, 25 army, 32 air force and 10 from the nursing services.

And you never said anything about working in a factory.

104Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Probaly another right was the right to own their own home , Natives that is .
They can own their own homes - off reserve. There is a jurisdictional issue on reserves that I'm not familiar with though.

105Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:I imagine one of their rights was to die for this land, while they could not vote in it .

Who has the "right" to die? Thats one of the dumbest things I've read so far. And you wonder why your arguments go nowhere.

106Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:34 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

So instead of whining about what happened in the past, what is currently being done to move forward to a more positive future? I for one am tired of listening to the "you wronged me and my culture" song and dance, and would like to know where my hard earned tax dollars are going that are supposedly going to make a difference in their culture.

I can't see the difference. Can you see the difference?

107Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 am

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:
Pavolo wrote:I imagine one of their rights was to die for this land, while they could not vote in it .

Who has the "right" to die? Thats one of the dumbest things I've read so far. And you wonder why your arguments go nowhere.
Just so the weekend warrior will understand his name was Tommy , and he knew which end of the barrel to point at someone .

108Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:
Freeman wrote:

Just so the weekend warrior will understand his name was Tommy , and he knew which end of the barrel to point at someone .

Wow, an even more articulate post. Still didn't answer where it becomes a "right to die for this land". But keep posting this type of crap, if it makes you help to forget what you posted the last time.

109Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:52 am

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

Guest wrote:I would just like to take time and recognize our countries Aboriginals. For thousands of years, they inhabited North America, and lived off the land with rather ease. It is unfortunate that our Native peoples had to endure 500 years of persecution and borderline genocide perpetrated by the European settlers.

Many close minded people want the natives to "snap out of it" and forget the past. It is not easy to do. When you have your land taken away from you, have your population diminished by European disease (smallpox), and confined to reservations, you suffered greatly.

When we tried to impose our cuture on your young, by removing them from loving families, only to try and erase their native heritage and learn "European" values, it tore families apart, and created wounds that have yet to heal. You coped by abusing alcohol and other substances to forget.

I, for one, would like to take this opportunity as a Canadian with European background, to apologize for what my ancestors did to your people. You were too proud to accept the settlers way of life, and had to endure discrimination over housing, employment, and education when you did try to 'assimilate.'

The government tries to make things right by throwing money at you. However, money does not bring healing, nor does it bring happiness. You deserve better. Non-Aboriginal Canadians need to understand your culture and way of life. We owe it to you.

So I dedicate this song to all of you. God bless our Natives, and forgive us for our past mistakes.

I agree 100% "Guest". All of us, as Human souls on this planet Earth, must return to spiritual teachings and ways ... The materialism that we have been given in the last 2000 years hasn't gotten us much.

110Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 am

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

grumpy old man wrote:WTF?

Anyone think that'll help?

Whatever. Time to snap out of it. The world sucks. sh1t happened. Now move on for Gawd's sake and become a contributing part of Canadian society...

Too bad if this comes across as insensitive. I'm tired of all the crap perpetrated on Canadian society by a culture that seems incapable of, or worse, unwilling to helping themselves.

They became "lost" because their spirituality was taken away from them. Even more so than their land... Because with spirituality one can be connected with angels/spirit guides who will help you remember who you were. And most modern aboriginals don't follow that, although I guess now with the Internet maybe since 1994 some have re-discovered the teachings of the ancient aboriginals.

Maybe that's why the residential schools were closed in 1996... because with the Web, people would have started to report the abuses more and more, so the Christian churches sort of nipped that in the bud... So now we have the Reconcilliation and whatever it's called to "heal", but looking at what kinds of people are on the committee, I'm not holding my breath.

No, we as individuals have to take back responsibility for our soul, for our lives, and not let anyone else like government do it for us.

111Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 am

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:What are you saying? That hunting and fishing won't cut it in this day and age? That they themselves will have to change their historical methods (just like everyone else did) in order to survive?

That's a good thing imo.

Well, as early as the early 1800s, there was no nearby market for people to shop at ....No Superstore, no Safeway, no corner store.... we all hunted and fished.

There may have been a small store in town like the one portrayed in The Waltons ... where you bought simple supplies, and picked up/dropped off your mail.

What we have now, where multinational food conglomerates package foods with preservative like Aspartame, Soy Lecithin, Glucose-Fructose and my all time favourite "Natural Flavour" (WTF is that?) ... is unsustainable, and there will come a time where Humanity must re-learn how to cook for themselves...

No more f**ked up food!

112Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:13 am

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:stop treating aboriginals as a whole as unique people with unique problems. treat them exactly the same as everyone else.

Dean, I'd go one better/further.

My version...

Stop treating Humans like slaves. Allow us to be spiritual without being persecuted or forced into Abramic religions. Allow us to live our lives without being watched by some surveillance camera operated by some "authority".

Close down most of the fast food restaurants so that we will motivate ourselves to learn to cook food for ourselves once again.

Close down all government departments at the federal level, including all militaries on planet Earth.

Close down and destroy all weather modification programs, including H.A.A.R.P.

Close down the provincial government ... do we really need them?

Allow only very localized governments to co-ordinate streets, transit, and utilities - heat, water, telephone. Bring back metropolitan level government to co-ordinate between municipalities (bridges and rapid transit in larger centres).

Close down the public schools, the private schools, and the daycares.

Close down all the religious churches... the Catholic, the Protestant, the Jewish synagogues, the Mosques...All of them! Without religion we could meditate by ourselves instead and raise our consciousness level to emanate LOVE from our soul rather than HATE or FEAR, etc...

Shut down most cable-satellite channels and leave maybe a total of 30 operating ... We don't need 5 different lifestyle/womens networks...

Shut down the cell phone towers. Go back to the limited radiophones we had before 1984.

Get rid of the Taxicab Board ... allow true freedom in setting up a taxi company with real competition.

Get rid of the U.N. (United Nations). Get rid of CSIS, the CIA, and
other such organizations. The Earth shall be the better for it.

Last edited by jimj_wpg on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

113Aboriginals - Page 5 Empty Re: Aboriginals Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:45 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

jimj_wpg wrote:
Stop treating Humans like slaves. Allow us to be spiritual without being persecuted or forced into Abramic religions. Allow us to live our lives without being watched by some surveillance camera operated by some "authority".
If you feel so oppressed in Canada, then feel free to move to the US or any other country of your choice where you will not be persecuted. I doubt that anyone will care to stop you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum