the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

nygard sues

+10
GGF
grumpy old man
Miz point
Mantha
trebor204
rosencrentz
Goth_chic
JT Estoban
Freeman
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 am

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:Quite frankly, who cares? Nygaard is a private individual, and from what I can figure, he has broken no laws. Does he have an ego as large as all outdoors, yes, but he also has an incredibly successful organization, which he built from the ground up.
There is no doubt that he has pissed off some people during his career, but is this news? Can't see why. But then again, I'm not the publicly funded voice of the people who will do anything to try to prove my relevance in the face of continually reduced public funding. How's that for a motive?

Broken no laws? Did you watch the documentary?

Bringing in workers under tourist visas, breaking both Canadian and Bahamian labour codes (re: work permits,overtime, imposing fines, minimum wages), allegedly bringing in underage GIRLS for his sexual gratification with the promises of modelling contracts, and probably worst of all...forceable confinement.

Ya, he's doing nothing wrong at all eh Freeman?

I know 2 individuals first hand who have worked with him closely and I've known of these types of things going on for at least 10 years so it's no shocker to me. Why should we care? Because I think people do have a moral obligation not to support complete a$$holes such as Mr. Nygard and that they deserve to know what types of individuals they are supporting when they purchase from a company.

But I guess some can still look up to him as he is exceptionally profitable nygard sues - Page 3 970993 .

Last edited by grumpyrom on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

52nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

100% greeblok grumpyrom... Good Post!

53nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:57 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, what has he been charged with? What sentences were passed down by the appropriate jurisdictions?

Isn't it time someone tells GGF about greeblok?

54nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Why should we care? Because I think people do have a moral obligation not to support complete a$$holes

Which is why I don't like to pay union dues.

55nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:19 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

You still believe OJ is innocent too Freeman?

Clearly at least SOME of the allegations ARE true as he has lost a few civil cases put before the courts in regards to overtime etc., and has settled others out of court. I ask you, does an innocent party settle out of court? Would you pay anyone, anything if you were innocent?

Also, many of the clear illegalties are kind of difficult to prove when most of the allegations take place in a locked compound, on an island where the perp also has VERY close ties to the local government. It might be a little embarrasing to the Bahamian authorities if these allegations were proven in a court of law to be true don't you think?

You can believe what you want to, but just because someting can't be proven (an often times sociopaths are extremely good at covering their asses) doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like I said, I know 2 people personally that have worked very closely with this man and I can state with 100% confidence that their experiences mirror the statements given in the documentary completely. I also know a few individuals through friends in the construction industry that have done some work at Nygard Cay and they also echoed the same stories (overtime not paid as promised, being held against their will, etc.)

Now I know you choose not believe any of it as the proof is not good enough for you, but unless their is a MASSIVE conspiracy in place by literally dozens if not hundreds of people to discredit this man then you at least have to wonder if even 10% of the stories are true then what type of individual is this man? And do you really want to support him?

Now if your ok with offering people employment in a foreign country, telling them they don't need work permits and that you'll work it out, promising them one set of working condition and wages and then paying something completely different, and then holding them against their will in your private compound and telling them to get back to work knowing they can't go to the authorities without risking charges as they are in the country working illegally (since you brought them in as toursits on your private jet)....well then, if your ok with all that then I really, really have to worry about your morals. That's saying nothing about his dealings with prospective "models".

The guy is scum.

56nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:20 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:Why should we care? Because I think people do have a moral obligation not to support complete a$$holes

Which is why I don't like to pay union dues.

Can't make a decent point so you revert back to your favorite topic eh Freeman?

57nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Allegations are just that. Has he been arrested? Has he been charged with any crimes? I am no fan of Peter Nygard, I too have known a few people who worked for him, he is an ass. I applied there in the early 90's and went for one interview, they offered me a job but thankfully I turned them down.

58nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:29 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I don't even know why I bother.....you guys are right, the guy is absolutely wonderfull and none of the stories could possibly be true because none of them have been proven in court. nygard sues - Page 3 970993

Except for the overtime cases he's lost.....

59nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Loosen up a little man.

60nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:I don't even know why I bother.....you guys are right, the guy is absolutely wonderfull and none of the stories could possibly be true because none of them have been proven in court. nygard sues - Page 3 970993

Who said he is wonderful?

OT cases??? MANY business do not pay OT and yes they should but alot don't. A friend of mine owns his own business and does not pay OT or Stat holidays and if you work on a stat you get paid straight time no time and a half or double time. He has been operating this way for years. He gets away with this because his workers are sub-contractors.

61nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:37 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

No offence GOM, but one of my biggest pet peeves in life is peopl who counter every argument with "it's never been proven in court". Just because someone is extremely good at hiding/falsifying evidence and they can afford very good legal council that does not make them innocent in my books.

I personally dealt with claims mitigation at a past employer dealing with property damages caused by our equipment and employees. I know first hand that we were in fact guilty of the damages 95% of the time, yet we would claim no fault 100% of the time. It was always my bosses reasoning that even if we were able to get 25% if the claims tossed for lack of supporting evidence, or settled out of court at a reduced rate then we could reduce the costs associated with those claims greatly. That did not make us innocent in those civil matters, that just made us extremely good liars.

Just because something can't be proven in court, does not mean it did not happen.

Case in point O.J.

62nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

BTW, I think OJ is as guilty as hell, but at least he was charged and tried, not like this fiasco held in the Court of the CBC.

grumpyrom, since you are a scholar of labour legislation, perhaps you would like to explain to everyone the changes to the Employment Standards legislation regarding overtime which were brought on as a result of the "Nygaard Case."

63nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:59 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:I don't even know why I bother.....you guys are right, the guy is absolutely wonderfull and none of the stories could possibly be true because none of them have been proven in court. nygard sues - Page 3 970993

Who said he is wonderful?

OT cases??? MANY business do not pay OT and yes they should but alot don't. A friend of mine owns his own business and does not pay OT or Stat holidays and if you work on a stat you get paid straight time no time and a half or double time. He has been operating this way for years. He gets away with this because his workers are sub-contractors.

Businesses that are not unionized up the yingyang have the option of paying out OT. In my field (Environmental Sciences), in Ontario, if you work for a soil, vegetation and groundwater reclamation/remediation company that is not unionized, you will not likely be paid any OT. Out there, you can be made to work 60 hours in a week, but only paid for 40. If you don't like? TS for you and you'll likely have to find another job because you are a dime a dozen and can be replaced with ease. Most companies in my field here in Alberta will pay you OT and in many cases like mine, time and a half for any OT you work. We've had many people from my field relocate to Alberta from Ontario because they are fed up with being exploited for free. It's the nature of the beast, which is why I feel there are both pros and cons to both unionized and non-unionized jobs.

64nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:No offence GOM, but one of my biggest pet peeves in life is peopl who counter every argument with "it's never been proven in court". Just because someone is extremely good at hiding/falsifying evidence and they can afford very good legal council that does not make them innocent in my books.

I personally dealt with claims mitigation at a past employer dealing with property damages caused by our equipment and employees. I know first hand that we were in fact guilty of the damages 95% of the time, yet we would claim no fault 100% of the time. It was always my bosses reasoning that even if we were able to get 25% if the claims tossed for lack of supporting evidence, or settled out of court at a reduced rate then we could reduce the costs associated with those claims greatly. That did not make us innocent in those civil matters, that just made us extremely good liars.

Just because something can't be proven in court, does not mean it did not happen.

Case in point O.J.

Luckily for us we live in Canada where people are "Innocent until proven guilty".

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

65nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:You still believe OJ is innocent too Freeman?
As stated, no, but they never asked me either.

Clearly at least SOME of the allegations ARE true as he has lost a few civil cases put before the courts in regards to overtime etc., and has settled others out of court. I ask you, does an innocent party settle out of court? Would you pay anyone, anything if you were innocent?

It is quite common to settle out of court in order to save the costs of litigation. This is called a "business decision". Out of court settlements also include a clause that the defendant does not acknowledge any guilt or wrong doing, so I guess that answers that one.

Also, many of the clear illegalties are kind of difficult to prove when most of the allegations take place in a locked compound, on an island where the perp also has VERY close ties to the local government. It might be a little embarrasing to the Bahamian authorities if these allegations were proven in a court of law to be true don't you think?

So, I guess you're claiming that the government of the Bahamas is involved, and they too are guilty of something. All part of the conspiracy, yes?

You can believe what you want to, but just because someting can't be proven (an often times sociopaths are extremely good at covering their asses) doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like I said, I know 2 people personally that have worked very closely with this man and I can state with 100% confidence that their experiences mirror the statements given in the documentary completely. I also know a few individuals through friends in the construction industry that have done some work at Nygard Cay and they also echoed the same stories (overtime not paid as promised, being held against their will, etc.)

I had a neighbour that worked for Nygaard, and he was treated very well and liked the guy. He also acknowledged Nygaard's ego and eccentricity, but I guess the CBC wasn't able to locate him or anyone else that might have a differing view.

Now I know you choose not believe any of it as the proof is not good enough for you, but unless their is a MASSIVE conspiracy in place by literally dozens if not hundreds of people to discredit this man then you at least have to wonder if even 10% of the stories are true then what type of individual is this man? And do you really want to support him?

As I said before, I really don't care. I don't work for him, nor do I have any desire, but what the CBC has done certainly sounds like libel. Guess they might have to pay legal fees out of the massive advertising revenues they make.

Now if your ok with offering people employment in a foreign country, telling them they don't need work permits and that you'll work it out, promising them one set of working condition and wages and then paying something completely different, and then holding them against their will in your private compound and telling them to get back to work knowing they can't go to the authorities without risking charges as they are in the country working illegally (since you brought them in as toursits on your private jet)....well then, if your ok with all that then I really, really have to worry about your morals. That's saying nothing about his dealings with prospective "models".

Please don't worry about my morals, they are really none of your fricking business, but be assured that I sleep well every night.

The guy is scum.

66nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Okay one thing I do have to say in defense of statements regarding Bahamian collusion and how business is done in these little places....it is a money talks scenario. In other words you buy your ability to pretty much do as one wishes. I have lived in Jamaica, Belize and Mexico, have sailed in the Bahamas and have had to deal with customs/port authority, have lived and worked in the Bay Islands of Honduras and Costa Rica. I believe it is fairly safe to say that if one wishes to live outside of the rules that the rest of us have to follow when living and working in these places all one has to do is pay for that privilege.

As well it should be stated that the Bahamas are part of the commonwealth. Some of the laws, especially concerning property, civil litigation and labour are quite convoluted and archaic. For some years now there has been a CARICOM trade bloc which was supposed to harmonize legal matters as well throughout the
Caribbean but there has been much resistance from places like the Bahamas to enter into such a plan.

I am afraid that for some time to come it will be a matter of caveat emptor in the Caribbean. I have always advised folks to procure work permits and fully research the rules that would pertain to them before embarking on any sort of endeavours in these places. Better safe than sorry.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

67nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Anonymous

To bad being successful makes you a target for all the people to shoot at . right or wrong . As was said how many have been proven , or will be . This man may not be perfect but neither is he all wrong .

68nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

His company does over a $Billion dollars in profitable sales, and he is hung up on having lots of sex with good looking females! So what is the problem?
The CBC report is a little bit of a blip, but everyone knows what he is, so suck it up and look at the good things that his company accomplishes as opposed to the 3% bad stuff that the CBC, ever unfair and unbalanced, as usual ! Where was the cover story on his philanthropic donations?

http://www.elansofas.com

69nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I think it can be confirmed that...

- Nygard is a douche
- Nygard employees get low pay and overtime without pay
- Nygard employees get harassed and abused by management (which comes down from Peter himself)

So then why do people still work there? Manitoba has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada.

Go get another job.

I hate it when people complain about how bad their job is, but never look for a better job.

70nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I agree with sputnik!!!

71nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:22 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The CBC covered the terrible work conditions in The bahamas, with written proof (illegal copies of payroll deductions at $5 per mosquito bite) . These payroll deductions were taken from poor people working on his Bahama castle.
if these deductions were illegal, then he is a douche bag, taking advantage of poor workers who wouldn't be able to defend themselves.
I do remember many years ago, there was an allegation of rape in Winnipeg, and then I do not remember how many dollars MAY have been paid to the good looking , young Winnipeg girl. Anyone remember what happened?

http://www.elansofas.com

72nygard sues - Page 3 Empty Re: nygard sues Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:I agree with sputnik!!!

That would explain the oinking from the air I heard this morning

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum