the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Airport security ..

+6
Freeman
grumpy old man
helgihg
FlyingRat
Deank
tick
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Airport security .. Empty Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

tell her she's naked on the internet ..

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/46711.html ..

2Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

dont know her..

damn

say... willl these scanners detect anal beads?

3Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Anonymous

Naw....you're safe to go.

4Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sweet!

5Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Anonymous

Airport security .. Lol

They may be detected on you by their sound rattling around. LOL

Last edited by JTF on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

notice the images are not from TSA, but are a simulation based on stock photos.

7Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:49 pm

helgihg

helgihg

Am I the only person in North America that knows that death is a real possibility, and that freedom is actually more important than some barely measurable problems like terrorism?

More people die from bad diet every year, for crying out loud!

Seriously! I'm not being sarcastic here... it seems that freedom is a cherished value in North America as long as it's perfectly secure. Well, I don't think it should be news to anyone that you can't have absolute security and freedom at the same time, damnit.

Am I the only one around that just isn't particularly scared of terrorists?

8Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've read your post twice now helgigh. I'm not certain what it is you're saying...

9Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm not afraid of terrorism, and I'm not worried about some guy in a back room getting his jollies as he goes over my scan if/when I go through it in the airport.

I do agree with hell geek in that there is no such thing as absolute security. Just 3 things in life are for sure, death, taxes and DeanK dropping his drawers at get togethers.

10Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:18 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

What I dont understand is why we in the western world are so reluctant to use profiling when it comes to protecting ourselves from terrorists?

For instance, we know that 100% of the terrorists who blow themselves up follow Islam to the extreme and we know that 100% of these same terrorists fall into the 18 to 40 year old age bracket and we know that 95% are also Male. So why don't we use that useful information to do a more thorough screening of Young Male Arabs?

Use technology like the micrometer band body scanner to check everyone, pass everyone's luggage through a 0 pressure chamber. Use the bomb sniffing dogs, trace elements detector and x-ray to check luggage. It is like keeping warm the best way is through layers of clothing. We should adapt our security to be layered. Use profiling and technology.

like the Viking and Freeman say, no security is absolute, eventually someone or something will slip past. Like that poor guy who got arrested the other day in Ireland. Slovak security test ends with explosives on plane
A failed airport security test ended up with a Slovak man unwittingly carrying hidden explosives in his luggage on a flight to Dublin, Slovak officials admitted Wednesday -- a mistake that enraged Irish authorities and shocked aviation experts worldwide.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

11Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Anonymous

The Israelis have it down to a science, literally. They have highly trained professionals asking people questions....lots and lots of questions.

GOM. Let's not call it profiling...let's call it target hardening.

12Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:02 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think you were referring your post to LivingDead.

13Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Anonymous

both

14Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

I was listening to an interview on CBC and the guest brought up a good point. Our security measures are, for the most part, reactive. Whatever form of terrorism is attempted is the form we defend ourselves against. However, terrorists listen to the news just like everyone else and they adapt.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

15Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly

just like our overreaction to car thefts by installing immobilizers.. car theifs just target other vehicles or start hijacking them. Always there will be a way when a bad guy wants to do something. Hell.. want to hijack a plane? DONT BUY A TICKET!!!! enough guns will get you on one.

16Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Anonymous

tick wrote:tell her she's naked on the internet ..

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/46711.html ..

Paranoia at it's best. Seems like the US is turning into a Police state. Looks like Bin Laden wins..

17Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Anonymous

helgihg wrote:

Am I the only one around that just isn't particularly scared of terrorists?

Not afraid of terrorists, and I will not alter my lifestyle to deal with this threat. Keep in mind though we live in Winnipeg, so other than our CDC labs, I can't see it being a problem for the average Manitoban.

Alberta had a couple of incidents that can be described as domestic terrorism. People were trying to sabotage pipelines in Northwest Alberta to disrupt the Oil Companies from operating in the region.

18Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:24 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I have the basic equipment to survive should the world be suddenly plunged back into the stone age.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

19Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:12 pm

helgihg

helgihg

grumpy old man wrote:I've read your post twice now helgigh. I'm not certain what it is you're saying...

I'm surprised, frankly. It's pretty straight forward.

Terrorism is not a real problem compared to many that are taken for granted as "part of life". Those include various preventable diseases, accidents and acts of violence.

In a free society, people have to have some bloody balls. You have to be able to live in a world where you might get killed by anyone, if you're ever going to call yourself free.

Those who cannot take living in a dangerous world, cannot be free. Now, if you simply don't care about freedom all that much, then fine, but if you do, don't think for one second that anything that catches terrorists is automatically a good thing.

It all boils down to values, of course. Security or freedom.

Personally, I'd pick freedom, except there doesn't seem to be a western country around anymore, neither here in North America nor Europe, that's willing to take the risks inherent with freedom.

You CANNOT be secure and free at the same time. Therefore, people who love freedom should ALWAYS be highly skeptical of stricter and more efficient security measures, on general principle.

And let me ask, since I've started ranting anyway; what is too much security to you guys?

Seeing that systematic strip searches are no biggie, the complete analysis of everything you carry on to a plane... then what if there is a terrorist attack involving trains? Will you subject yourselves to the same level of scrutiny from the government when you board a train?

What if a bus is blown up? Will you accept the same security measures when you enter a bus?

What if they use conventional explosives to take down a building down town? Will you accept those security measures whenever you step inside the Richardson building?

Will you simply ALWAYS say "okay, it's for security so it's all good"?

What is enough?

I ask because I honestly don't know.

20Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 pm

SuperNaut

SuperNaut

Helgihg;

I agree with most of what you say, I agree that we in the west have become complacent and lazy when it comes to our liberty and freedom.

The problem for us in the west, is the last 40 years has brought us much liberalization, so much so that we have painted ourselves in a corner with political correctness and bowing down to every special interest group.

We could easily take a page from WW2 and Force the civil populations of countries who aid and abet terrorists to deal with them themselves. We could easily bomb the heck out of populated centers to demoralize the population to the point where they lynch their own extremists or face starvation or death from above. It took 2 Nuclear bombs to bring Japan to its knees, It took massive amounts of manpower to put a stop to the Nazi war machine. How do you stop a terrorist cell? Lenin, Stalin, and Chairman Mao could tell you. Wipe out the entire ethnic population.

Now don't blow a gasket; I'm not advocating we commit genocide, but when facing Religious zealots and their blind followers. Short of giving them what they want, the only other way is to help them to be with their god.

21Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

If submitting to a body scan and baggage check at every office tower is necessary to protect from briefcase bombers, so be it. I say security of the populous trumps individual freedom to carry whatever you want wherever you want. Keep your weapons and drugs at home.

22Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

SuperNaut wrote:Helgihg;

I agree with most of what you say, I agree that we in the west have become complacent and lazy when it comes to our liberty and freedom.

The problem for us in the west, is the last 40 years has brought us much liberalization, so much so that we have painted ourselves in a corner with political correctness and bowing down to every special interest group.

We could easily take a page from WW2 and Force the civil populations of countries who aid and abet terrorists to deal with them themselves. We could easily bomb the heck out of populated centers to demoralize the population to the point where they lynch their own extremists or face starvation or death from above. It took 2 Nuclear bombs to bring Japan to its knees, It took massive amounts of manpower to put a stop to the Nazi war machine. How do you stop a terrorist cell? Lenin, Stalin, and Chairman Mao could tell you. Wipe out the entire ethnic population.

Now don't blow a gasket; I'm not advocating we commit genocide, but when facing Religious zealots and their blind followers. Short of giving them what they want, the only other way is to help them to be with their god.

Do you mean Moses's or Muhammid's zealots ?

23Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:13 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

if you want to blow up people you take your suitcase bomb to the caterpillar lineup outside the security zone and allah akbar there.

24Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:26 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

FlyingRat wrote:If submitting to a body scan and baggage check at every office tower is necessary to protect from briefcase bombers, so be it. I say security of the populous trumps individual freedom to carry whatever you want wherever you want. Keep your weapons and drugs at home.

See...now that's the wrong answer.

Paranoia of the populace because a few extremists exist is unwarranted and unnecessary!

Every time some crazy person decides they want their 15 minutes of fame, or have some bug up their as$ and decide to take it out on everyone else...there's a "public outcry" that the government should do something about it.

Here's some facts:
1) It is IMPOSSIBLE to protect everyone from everything...there will ALWAYS be risk in life.
2) It is NOT the government's responsibility to protect everyone from everything.
3) MOST of the hijackings and bombings the terrorists have achieved...are because too many people have been too afraid to act...expecting "somebody else" to do something.
4) Rather than deal with terrorists directly, the governments have decided they want to "talk" to them...to discuss the "why" rather than the "what".

So here are some solutions:
1) Put simple security in place. Metal detectors. Cameras (these are the best...because they can identify people after they've committed a crime...so you're actually catching CRIMINALS...not people who are thinking about doing something).
2) Get the government OUT of people's privacy. Giving up privacy & liberty in the name of security creates a dictatorship regime...whether it is run by an individual, or a large government body doesn't matter.
3) Training for EVERYONE. It will take years for this to develop...but force everyone to serve in either the armed forces or public service (police, fire, etc.). Anyone age 16-18 who have quit school, or over 18 regardless, must serve a minimum of 2 years. Teach them to identify potential threats, and deal with those threats effectively and immediately.
(my wife bugs me if I don't lock the doors when we're driving around. she's paranoid someone will jump in and try to hijack the vehicle. she wants to know what i'd do if someone tried it with me driving...she really doesn't want to know. cause without hesitation I'd be out of my seat and ripping the hijacker's head off his shoulders. she doesn't want to hear that...or especially hear that it would be WITHOUT HESITATION! The reason criminals get away with what they do, is because people don't react. One guy holding up a store with 3 people in it. That criminal should not walk away. They should be subdued and shot between the eyes...IMMEDIATELY...but too many people will stand there stunned and let the criminal do whatever)
4) Read above. IF the government gets hold of someone...sure...due process...have a trial...then drag them into the street and shoot them. Or hang them from a flagpole for a week. Get the message out that the criminal activity will no longer be tolerated...and those who insist on committing crimes will not only be tried...but will be punished slowly and severely so they will regret what they did for the short remainder of their life.

Terrorists/Criminals thrive on the insecurities of others. And every time the government imposes some new form of "protection"...the criminals have won. They have achieved their job. "Terrorism" does not mean someone has to die. It simply means the terror level of individuals have been raised.

http://www.photage.ca

25Airport security .. Empty Re: Airport security .. Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Anonymous

Freedom isn't free. So pitch in your $1.05, guys...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum