the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Airport apology for cancer survivor

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Airport apology for cancer survivor  Empty Airport apology for cancer survivor Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I saw this woman interviewed on the news last night. How those pompous twits could treat her the way they did is so completely beyond me I'm almost at a loss for words.
Airport apology for cancer survivor

By MICHAEL WOOD, QMI Agency

CALGARY - Apologies over the treatment of a humiliated 82-year-old B.C. cancer survivor are coming from air security officials in Ottawa even before an investigation into the matter wraps up.

The mea culpa is one Elizabeth Strecker accepts -- as long as others her age never endure the treatment to which she was subjected.

As Strecker told QMI Agency, she just wants "a little respect."

"They really can make an old person feel crummy," the frail-voiced Abbotsford, B.C. native said Friday.

Strecker, who lost a breast to cancer five years ago, said she was forced by a security detail on Jan. 4 to bare the gel prosthesis she wears in place of an implant, "touched everywhere and called a liar" -- a display which humiliated the elderly woman, reduced her to tears and left her wondering if she'll fly again.

Strecker has yet to lodge a formal complaint.

But an investigation led by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) -- the overseer which operates under the direction of Transport Canada and contracts security work to screeners across Canada, including Garda, employees of which are at the centre of the woman's miserable ordeal -- is already underway.

Officials in Ottawa confirmed they are reviewing CCTV footage and will act accordingly.

"What we want to do first of all is express our regret about the passenger screening experience -- obviously the passenger didn't have a pleasant experience," said CATSA spokesman Mathieu Larocque.

Strecker, fresh from Christmas holidays with family in Calgary, was flying back to her home in Abbotsford Jan. 4 when she was selected for further screening by security officials and told to go through the full body scanner.

The scan revealed her prosthesis, prompting a more thorough body search, during which a screener forced the woman to lift her frail right arm using her left -- something Strecker said is very painful for her -- and spread her legs, causing her to nearly stumble.

Strecker said she was mortified.

"I didn't really think I had to tell everyone I had breast cancer, I didn't think that was necessary," she said.

Strecker and her family have since been demanding an apology.

Larocque said Friday she'll get that and more.

"We want every passenger to be treated with respect and professionalism," he said.

CATSA trains screening officers to recognize "special situations" when they arise, including medical conditions which require discretion and sensitivity, Larocque said.

"And if corrective actions are needed, we will take corrective action," Larocque noted, suggesting further training or procedural changes may be in order.

As far as Strecker is concerned, it's a dandy idea.

"At least teach them how to handle people with a little courtesy," she said.

"They don't have to feel sorry for me, I just want a little courtesy."

Strecker's tale of security terror has reverberated through Ottawa, prompting calls for review from Transport Minister Chuck Strahl and offers from Conservative MP Ed Fast to help the woman pen a formal complaint.

"I didn't expect all that," Strecker said.

Passenger screeners at Calgary International Airport are employed by a subsidiary of Garda, an international security an investigative services powerhouse, which was awarded the contract in 2006.

Repeated calls to its Calgary office were not returned Friday.

2Airport apology for cancer survivor  Empty Re: Airport apology for cancer survivor Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The society we live in today is rapidly losing respect for others. Allowing people their dignity in sensitive or not-so-sensitive matters seems almost nonexistent.

Believe it or not some people dismiss good manners and the use of certain words in polite society. I have no time for these people.

3Airport apology for cancer survivor  Empty Re: Airport apology for cancer survivor Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous

They should not give jobs to people that are without brains.

The actions of the GARDA people is, as you say, beyond words.

They better fire somebody and not just give them more training. You cannot train an idiot. Simple. Don't even try. Hire people with IQs at least their shoe size.

4Airport apology for cancer survivor  Empty Re: Airport apology for cancer survivor Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 am

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

If security guards were required to have IQ's, there would be no security guards.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum