the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harper to prorogue parliment.. aint that cool?

+8
SuperNaut
LivingDead
grumpy old man
katrina
St Norberter
cherenkov
Goth_chic
Deank
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If he does, he will come out of it with a MAJORITY IN THE SENATE!!!!

how fricken awesome would that be?

Perhaps we could
a) get the crime legislation passed that should be passed
b) get an elected Senate
c) ?????

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pretty awesome!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I can understand how it could be frustrating that this would happen. Parliment should be able to carry on, but I can also see how it would be a terrible idea to even try to run a parliment with the Oly's going on. Especially with a minority government. It would not allow any of the MPs to be away a single day to attend the events and that would be just a little ridiculous.

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Our foxy GG should kick Harper in the balls if he tries to prorogue parliament. He was right to do it last time, but what is the crisis this time? You should not prorogue as a matter of convenience.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Meh.

I don't think they are stupid enough to do so. I think this is probably some out of hand CBC spin and fear mongering.

I'd really like to know the question and the context which resulted in the reply.

I think probably it was something like: "Given similar circumstances to last December happening in the next couple of months, would you consider proroguing parliment?"

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

katrina

katrina

cherenkov wrote:Our foxy GG should kick Harper in the balls if he tries to prorogue parliament. He was right to do it last time, but what is the crisis this time? You should not prorogue as a matter of convenience.

I agree. I hope the gg tells him to go forth and multiply.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

katrina wrote:
cherenkov wrote:Our foxy GG should kick Harper in the balls if he tries to prorogue parliament. He was right to do it last time, but what is the crisis this time? You should not prorogue as a matter of convenience.

I agree. I hope the gg tells him to go forth and multiply.

LOL.... this is the sandbox... no need to pull punches.. but damn thats a funny way to say it.

katrina

katrina

I am a lady and do not use foul language.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The crisis is that Canada's reputation will suffer substanially if parliment continues and the MPs and Leaders of the party's are not there to support our atheletes.

Perhaps all the leaders could agree to make it a 1 for 1 deployment, that would help for certain. But I can see all the parties being morons and trying to take advantage of empty seats.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Well yeah, a NC vote when there are a lot of MPs on Vancouver for the Olympics is pretty bush league.

I would hope that parties could agree to a) take the time off or b) no NC votes during that period.

It would be pretty sad if MPs couldn't attend the olympics because of the threat of a NC motion.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Not even just a NC vote.. voting on anything or even discussing anything of any importance.

Say.. this brings up a question. Does parliment have to be held in Ottawa? Are there rules that allow it to be moved temporarily to somewhere else? What happens if the building burns down?

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Why not suspend parliament for a couple weeks vs. proroguing? When you prorogue you clear the entire slate and all bills that are in progress are taken off the table. You are really setting back parliament quite a bit when you do that.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Can they suspend it? Is that an option?

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Being a minority, don't they need a vote of the house to suspend?

Proroguing is the PM's option to do it alone.

I'd rather see a suspension, but would the opposition agree?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

St Norberter wrote:Being a minority, don't they need a vote of the house to suspend?

Proroguing is the PM's option to do it alone.

I'd rather see a suspension, but would the opposition agree?

I doubt the they would agree to a suspension.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here is something for the libs to consider:
Jean Chrétien prorogued Parliament 4 times during his stint as Prime Minister on the following dates, February 5, 1996; September 18, 1999; September 16, 2002; and November 12, 2003.

Stolen from a comment on the Globe and Mail website.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Interesting....I will have to google this and see why he did it.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

My take on this.

I feel that strategically it is the correct thing for the government to do. The only way to get in and change the senate is to have a majority in the senate. Once this is accomplished the end of the senate wont be far off, unless Harper is BS'ing about senate reform and does nothing.

But if he is not BS'ing he can introduce bills that appeal to the citizens of Canada, force the oppositions hands and maybe if need be have an election to get a majority.

With a majority in the commons and in the senate, a bill calling for a referendum to abolish the senate or modify it would pass easily. Then the Citizens of Canada would have their say on the senate's future.

Of course if you believe the opposition, then all Harper wants is to destroy Canada and join the USA.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont think Harper will remove the Senate. Only make it an elected one as well as make it a term of X years.

All the people he has currently appointed have signed an agreement that should senate reforms get implemented they will step down and run or they will step down after X ( i think 10) years

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:I dont think Harper will remove the Senate. Only make it an elected one as well as make it a term of X years.

All the people he has currently appointed have signed an agreement that should senate reforms get implemented they will step down and run or they will step down after X ( i think 10) years

One thing is for certain, the Liberal party will fight tooth and nail to prevent anything from happening to their senate majority. They would even jump in bed with separatists. Unfortunately this is where Jack Layton and his Party could come out smelling like a rose and would increase their appeal to center/left liberals, but to do so would mean he would have to not jump in bed with the Separatists.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:I dont think Harper will remove the Senate. Only make it an elected one as well as make it a term of X years.
If I recall correctly, a fundamental change to the senate would require a constitutional amendment, which requires unanimous consent of the provinces. So while Harper may be serious about it, taking about it and getting it done are very different things. Smaller provinces especially will oppose Senate reform because they have over-representation in that house.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

abolishing it would be a fundamental change. Electing it and setting term limits would not.

SuperNaut

SuperNaut

Deank wrote:abolishing it would be a fundamental change. Electing it and setting term limits would not.

A Canada wide referendum would force the provinces to vote with the population or feel the voters wrath at election time.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

A worthy topic it may well be.

But what would the question be?

Should we abolish the senate?
Should we change the senate to include dogs?

its an extremely hard question to ask when most people have no clue what the purpose of the Senate is, even thought they should have learned it in school. All they see is an expense that does not seem to be worth it. Yet look at the US.. it has a Senate... As do many many many other areas.

SuperNaut

SuperNaut

Deank wrote:A worthy topic it may well be.

But what would the question be?

Should we abolish the senate?
Should we change the senate to include dogs?

its an extremely hard question to ask when most people have no clue what the purpose of the Senate is, even thought they should have learned it in school. All they see is an expense that does not seem to be worth it. Yet look at the US.. it has a Senate... As do many many many other areas.

Lets just hope that the question is not asked in such a way as to fool the citizens into voting one way or another.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum