the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone know how to remove spraypaint?

+3
Miz point
grumpy old man
JT Estoban
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Specifically, for removing it from my garage door. It seems Gate Night started early in Elmwood....started last night.

Started my day off by finding my garage door and the back of my shed was tagged last night. The shed, I can re-paint easily, but the garage door was new last year, and its' white, so if need be, I can re-paint that too.

Just curious if anyone knows if their is a proper way to clean paint off of an aluminum panel garage door?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think there is any way that will satisfy you...

If you repaint there is a type that makes tagging difficult or easy to remove I don't recall.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I saw a van the other day driving around that said something about Graffiti removal......cannot recall the exact name of the company....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

4Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:25 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Thanks!

I had a co-worker tell me about some kind of spray that he said might work....it's supposed to be for removing this kind of thing. Of course, he couldn't remember what it's called...

I'm thinking that I'll probably have to re-paint, black tagging on a bright white door...
Might have to invest in 15-20 gallons of white paint...as all my fence/garage are in the back lane is one huge mural surface! Kinda like a big etch-a-sketch! Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_smile

5Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

goof off or goop off.. something like that

go to rona and buy some

but make sure to wash your garage door right after.. ie dont leave the stuff sitting on there.

6Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I goof off all the time!

Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? 27789

7Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Thanks for the info Dean!

8Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.... turpentine would probably do it too Smile
say wait a minute... you have any of the tar removal spray that people use on cars?

pretty much the same stuff.

ALSO... you could try.

Alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) or OFF (yeah the bug spray)

gotta be careful with the bug spray though as it will quickly eat through to the paint on the door.

9Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:54 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:Specifically, for removing it from my garage door. It seems Gate Night started early in Elmwood....started last night.

Started my day off by finding my garage door and the back of my shed was tagged last night. The shed, I can re-paint easily, but the garage door was new last year, and its' white, so if need be, I can re-paint that too.

Just curious if anyone knows if their is a proper way to clean paint off of an aluminum panel garage door?

Did they at least spell your name right? Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_smile

10Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:59 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

No, I wasn't as lucky as poor Dylan was down the back lane....

I have no idea who he is, but they seem to think he's a homosexual..... Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_rolleyes

11Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Lol

12Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am

Riverman

Riverman

Plain old spray contains mineral spirits as it's solvent. It is fairly likely that the paint on the door used toluene or xylene, so try mineral spirits first. Try various solvents gently in a small area to see what works. I'm in Elmwood and I have several you could try:
Mineral spirits (Varsol)
Acetone
Methyl ethyl ketone
Toluene

13Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:05 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm really hoping it's water based...but I'm never that lucky. So I'm going to assume that it's oil based, in which case I'll need to use something like Acetone/Varsol, except that's going to strip the finish on the door.

The finish isn't that big of a deal, as the door is in the back lane. However, is their a way to neutralize the solvent before too much damage is done? Or is the damage already done, and now it's down to mitigation?

I suspect the latter....

14Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

get that goop off stuff.

water to neurtralize.

15Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Riverman

Riverman

Acetone and Varsol are at opposite ends of the volitility scale. Try Varsol first.

16Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:13 am

Anonymous

I've had to remove tags several times.

Acetone is the easiest way to remove spray paint...by far. Use lots of paper towels and lots of acetone. Wear rubber gloves.

17Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:01 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Hey all, thanks for the wonderful tips and advice.

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know what I did, and how it turned out....you know, sapping sharing and sh*t. Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_razz

Anyway, I contacted the place I got the door a few years ago, they said because it's a horman door, which has a baked enamel finish, any solvent type product would dull the finish, if not totally eat it off, but to get it off as quickly as possible. He directed me to contact a local paint supply store down town...after doing so, the fellow I spoke with on the phone said they have a product in a can that will "solve everything"...however, they are/were all out, and didn't expect any for a few weeks. He did say that the graffiti wouldn't do any damage that this stuff wouldn't be able to remove...without damaging the finish.

Over the weekend, I went to the paint store, still nothing. So I went to my local tire and hardware store, where I found what Deank recommended, it's called "Goof Off"....so I gave it a try before it got too dark. It did remove the graffiti...it also started taking off the finish of the door...so we'll have to go slowly, maybe do a small area at a time, then wipe it down with water afterwards or something.

But anyway, I think it's just going to be one of those things....livnig in the city...with a garage that faces into the back lane...oh well. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The buisnesses behind me always get tagged, we usually never do. Until this time. I figure we were due...

And like I said, it's much better than the message that was left for poor Dylan just down the back lane on a different garage...oh, and that recently changed...it appears there is another group, or the same one perhaps, that "Agreed" with the first taggers who let the wole world know they suspected Dylan was a homo...

And the house one over from us, the older couple got a big'ol set of c**k and balls on their garage door!

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone! Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_cheers

18Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It's like the graffiti in the opening credits of ROME......

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

19Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

next time just leave the garage door open. No way those little buggers will risk getting paint in their eyes to paint upwards.

20Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:16 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

lol...so where would I park my truck if I left the garage door open?

With my luck living in this area, they (the little hoodlums) would either:

a) steal the truck
b) steal the truck, drive it through the garage
or
c) steal the truck, tag it, put it back in the garage, close the door, tag the garage door

Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Lol

21Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hey... I didnt say the solution was perfect Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Icon_lol

22Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Anonymous

I found that getting the spray paint off was best done with acetone. It dissolves it. But you have to be careful to just take a controlled amount of the paint off.

You are going to have to repaint the door. No way around that at this stage. (You could have wiped the paint off if it was still wet...only then would you be able to get away without repainting I believe).

23Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:08 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

make sure to install a security system too.

a long gun would work (no registry now) and a trip wire...so when the little maggots come to ruin your property again...you should get at least one of them.

Just make sure you duck when your putting your truck in/out so you don't get nailed.

http://www.photage.ca

24Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I always wanted to mount a replica of one those crazy ass big robots from terminator (that guard the office building) on my roof and have motion/heat sensors that allow it to track anything that enters my yard.

I would think the machine noises alone of it activating would scare the shite right out of the perps never mind when it yells out.

"Please exit the premises immediatly. You have 10 seconds to comply"

25Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Empty Re: Anyone know how to remove spraypaint? Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:19 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

That was Ed209 from Robo Cop...wasn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ED-209

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum