the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

garbage cart idea passed

+12
FlyingRat
sputnik
Outsider
Goth_chic
incognito
JT Estoban
Bartron
grumpy old man
Miz point
LivingDead
AGEsAces
Deank
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:34 pm

LivingDead

general-contributor
general-contributor

I wonder if people can opt out and get their property tax refunded.

I wonder if I could make an argument against using the bins using Manitoba's The Workplace Safety and Health Act.

I'm sure 2.1, 7.3, 43.1 of the act will do. Part 8 of the 217/2006 regulations too.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

27garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:45 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

No LD...you can't use those to protest your using the bin. It doesn't apply as you are not working in this case.

And unless the collection workers want to protest...nothing would be done anyway.

http://www.photage.ca

28garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:01 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:No LD...you can't use those to protest your using the bin. It doesn't apply as you are not working in this case.

And unless the collection workers want to protest...nothing would be done anyway.

I called 311 back and asked to speak to a supervisor. I said what happens if I have 1 bag of garbage more than the bin will hold. his responce "save it for the following week". I then said what if the following week comes and i have yet another extra bag? He said "save it for the following week". I then said so Every week I add another bag to a pile of bags i'm saving for pick up. What do I do as the mountain of garbage grows. He then tells me to "take it to the dump". I then said that is why I pay property tax, so that i dont have to. He said sorry sir, those are your only options.

He forgot about option 3. I round up all the people in the same situation, we all take our extra bags and pile them up in City Hall's court yard. Or option 4, leave the garbage piled up on the CITY owned boulevard, until someone complains. Then when they send me the bill for its removal I'll sue them for not providing me with the service I pay for.

Last edited by LivingDead on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

29garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:16 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Option 5 - produce less garbage.

30garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

Anonymous

incognito wrote:Option 5 - produce less garbage.

It can only be brought down to a certain amount. Households vary in the number of people that produce garbage, so this option is not available to most.

31garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If I have extra garbage I will put it in my car and dump it in a BFI behind Safeway!

32garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:57 am

Anonymous

But, like LD said, that's why we pay taxes!! We shouldn't have to worry about an extra bag of friggn' garbage.

We seem to have money for a $75,000 picnic table eh, but they don't have enough money to pick up all of our garbage? WTF!!!

33garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do ya think we put out more garbage than we did 20 years ago? 50 years ago?

I think everything is disposable today. Too much packaging today. In the "good old days" we'd return so many things, like pop and milk bottles.

Is this one reason we have more garbage today?

34garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 am

Anonymous

I sure think so.

It's nice to see that stores are now aware of the bag issue. I hope that the packaging issue follows.

35garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I have a neat idea on how the city can save money.

it is called get rid of unionized employees. Hire people who give 100% and reward them accordingly. As it is, it now takes 3 city workers to do the job of one person. (this includes the bureaucracy).

With they money they save here they can buy me a second bin. and use the rest of the money they save to fix roads and other infrastructure.

I wonder how much the city pays for Fluoride? They can save money by not buying the poison. And save money on the infrastructure required to put the poison into our water.

36garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

LD you need to begin speaking your mind. Quit beating around the bush!

37garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:24 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:LD you need to begin speaking your mind. Quit beating around the bush!

GOM, the thing is.
There is so much that can be done to save money at city hall. Problem is the Mayor has to walk on egg shells, or the unions will hold the city hostage. The councilors only care about getting re-elected, they are not serious about getting things done. They only care about what is good for their area and not for the city as a whole.

There is so much wasteful spending at city hall and all the departments therein. In the private world if they couldn't get the job done, they'd get the boot. But in the fantasyland that is the City Of Winnipeg.

I'd go on, but the wife and kids call.

38garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:51 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:

It can only be brought down to a certain amount. Households vary in the number of people that produce garbage, so this option is not available to most.
How is the option of buying less stuff to throw out not available?  

39garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:06 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

incognito wrote:
JTF wrote:

Am I supposed to let my kids starve? Do I let them go out with no clothing? Do I not buy the kids toys?

If I buy less stuff, then my family does with less. Might as well live in Afrika then. Why even bother paying property tax, maybe everyone in the city should move to selkirk, then where would winnipeg be?

40garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:17 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

LivingDead wrote:
incognito wrote:
JTF wrote:

Am I supposed to let my kids starve? Do I let them go out with no clothing? Do I not buy the kids toys?

If I buy less stuff, then my family does with less. Might as well live in Afrika then. Why even bother paying property tax, maybe everyone in the city should move to selkirk, then where would winnipeg be?
The emphasis was on 'stuff to throw out' but for some reason I can't get the bb code (or new paragraphs) to work. And producing less garbage doesn't equate to substandard living.

41garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

incognito wrote:. And producing less garbage doesn't equate to substandard living.

Not for everyone, but for my family it does.

Maybe the all knowing, decision making Government can make another law saying "thou shall not sell consumables in Manitoba with excess packaging"

I wonder what is next? Water rationing? I can only have a bath on Mondays and can only wash clothing on Saturdays? Or maybe a water limiter installed. once you hit 100Litres it shuts off for the week.

It pisses me off. I should send a grass cutting bill to the city for cutting their boulevard.

42garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

Anonymous

One of the issues we are faced with is international trade...most of our stuff comes from far off lands and requires packaging to prevent damage.

Sure, we can cut down on our consumption of products that require packaging, but that then bites us in our asses eh.

43garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think a lot of the packaging of small stuff is to prevent theft. My god, to open a new tape rule I just purchased I damn near needed a skill saw!

44garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'd prefer to see a user-pay system in place so that those of us who prefer to live low-impact lifestyles don't have to support the wastrels.

45garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh but "the wastrals" are the ones that are spending money...which means not only more tax revenue, but more jobs, which in turn means more tax revenue... So us "wastrals" are subsidizing you spend thrifts who keep your money to yourself... tsk tsk tsk.....

46garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:33 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

incognito wrote:I'd prefer to see a user-pay system in place so that those of us who prefer to live low-impact lifestyles don't have to support the wastrels.
That would go over well. I can hear the arguments now.

What about the poor people? How will they afford user-pay for garbage pickup? The city will start looking like a disaster zone etc...

And guess what? we have a user-pay system in place. I'm a user and I pay, its called property taxes.

47garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah we have user pay Hydro right now and the PUB is demanding that Hydro give them a deal.

48garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Received a call from them today (response to my e-mail complaint).
Whoever the guy was who called, received a HECK of a sales pitch...cause he's sold...and he lives in the North End.

He had some kind of an excuse for each of my complaints.
Me - What about those stolen.
Him - They are tagged with your house information...so it will be returned when found.

Me - What do I do till then? It takes the cops two months to find a stolen car with OnStar on it...how long do you think it will take them to find a trash can?
Him - (chuckle) Cops aren't involved...we find them ourselves with our tracking system
Me - Should put your tracking system on my car then. Plus, it doesn't stop the scum from stealing the cans to begin with.

Me - What about when the little punks come down the back lane kicking over all the cans because they think it's funny. That fancy arm doesn't pickup cans laying on the ground, and we both KNOW the guy in the truck isn't getting out to stand them all back up.
Him - That's a rare occurrence and should not be an issue.
Me - You haven't been to my neighborhood, where it's a WEEKLY occurrence. Plus, if/when it happens just once, and my can is full...it means I won't be able to put additional garbage out, and it will pile up in my yard, or the back lane, till someone picks it up. At least when the jerks spread the cans/garbage around the back lane now...the guys getting off the trucks actually can stand them up or pick them up off the ground.
Him - Yes, I can see that concern, but we don't see it being a likely scenario.
Me - Again...it's a WEEKLY scenario in my area...so the 1st time it happens will be the last, as I'll be bringing my trash to your office and leaving it on your front steps.

We went round and round like this for almost an hour on the phone.

Hey...at least they responded.

Incidentally, the cans don't go out till February...because the current contract with the city isn't over till the end of January. PERFECT time to implement an untested, and unwanted system.

http://www.photage.ca

49garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ooo ooo ooo .. dont forget they are possibly messing with the recyling too.. Me I want the automated recyling pickup because it offers a much bigger bucket and will be easier for me. But for others christ I dont see some people having room for a garbage can and a recycling can.

50garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:05 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

LivingDead wrote:
incognito wrote:I'd prefer to see a user-pay system in place so that those of us who prefer to live low-impact lifestyles don't have to support the wastrels.

What about the poor people? How will they afford user-pay for garbage pickup? The city will start looking like a disaster zone etc...
No doubt, that tired song and dance would get lots of airplay. But the arguments have no merit.

And guess what? we have a user-pay system in place. I'm a user and I pay, its called property taxes.

I call the current system socialized trash pickup. Why is the city involved in a service which could be negotiated directly between residents and private contractors?

51garbage cart idea passed - Page 2 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

incognito wrote:
LivingDead wrote:

No doubt, that tired song and dance would get lots of airplay. But the arguments have no merit.

I call the current system socialized trash pickup. Why is the city involved in a service which could be negotiated directly between residents and private contractors?

Please enlighten me, how would the arguments of the poor have no merit?

Imagine if we had to negotiate with private contracters for Garbage collection, Water, Sewer, Road repairs, recycling pickup etc... I'd rather pay the city to look after it all for me. A one stop shop.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum