the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cleaning the sand and garbage from the street

+6
holly golightly
grumpy old man
FlyingRat
AGEsAces
Deank
casualchris
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

So we're officially in peg city, first impression from the gf is there sure is a lot of sand and garbage on the streets and common areas such as parks and bus stops.

When does the city get on cleaning all that sand up? I could call 311 with the 'suggestion' but doesn't the city already know the sand is there and its appropriate to clean it up?

We plan to clean up the park and bus stop closest to us, but are there city workers who do that sort of thing?

Anonymous

For some reason that is unknown to logic, every single year we do this.

Why aren't the bloody sweepers out cleaning up the mess??

Heh...Welcome Home CC..and a Big Nice to See Ya to the GF.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

because they wait until its warm enough that they are not going to cause accident by putting water on the streets.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Is that what they do, water the streets.

In many places it looked like you`d need a shovel and whatnot to collect all that sand, could a vaccum or sweeper system be put into action sooner.

no question marks i know, my keyboard is acting screwy

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

and i'm sure right now they are waiting to see if there's any flooding.

If all the streets & parks flood...they won't have as much to clean up Wink.

http://www.photage.ca

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Yeah, they'll have to wait until the crest is passed, sewers and ditches flowing properly.

Plus, there is the possibility of getting hit with another dump of snow, requiring sand to be thrown down. So waiting until that threat has passed...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Up until a couple weeks ago the roads would have been impossible to clean due to ice and snow. It was only very recently that the roads were cleanable.

That said there is no reason why they could not get started right now. The roads are filthy.

But Winnipeg cleans up nicely. It won't be long. I'm sure the flood issues are paramount to the works and operations peeps.

BTW... Welcome home cc and welcome to Winnipeg cc's girlfriend.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Actually the cleaning has already started in the downtown area and more extensive whole city cleaning is to start as late as Sunday, possibly earlier, depending on how quickly the downtown area is progressing.

Anonymous

FlyingRat wrote:Yeah, they'll have to wait until the crest is passed, sewers and ditches flowing properly.

Plus, there is the possibility of getting hit with another dump of snow, requiring sand to be thrown down. So waiting until that threat has passed...

Sorry, but that's weak.

What the hell have sewers and ditches got to do with dirty streets?

If we do get a snowfall, I would personally kick the person's ass that ordered sand to be dumped on the streets, because the snow would melt within hours anyway.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

My point was:
If ditches and sewers are full, its irresponsible to add to the problem by washing the streets with more water. And there have been cases where after a spring thaw, a cold snap had returned with snow for another week.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah...plus they dont just have people sitting there with their thumbs up their asses waiting for the weather to turn nice... they wait for it to change then schedule the people over...

Anonymous

They sprinle the street with water for gawd sake, just enough to keep the dust down.

They could easily start a couple of weeks earlier imo, without any chance of it being a wasted effort.

Now don't get me started on cleaning the boulevards....which seems to still be done in July I've noticed.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

in my area they use a fancy street cleaning machine that actually picks up most of the dirt and gravel..

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

What about take pride winnipeg,dont they do a lot of litter collection? Maybe winnipegers should simply litter less.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its not winnipegers doing it.. its all those bastard British Columbians who come here to visit

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

heh yeah

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

CC, it is a whole winters worth of crap. I don't imagine Winnipeggers litter any more than your average Canadian. Trouble is all the garbage collects over the winter and appears when the snow melts. Don't judge Winnipeg by our streets this soon after the thaw. Wait a month or so until we've tidied up a bit.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

next thing you know there will be some crazy west coaster posting these awesome pictures of the clean streets already in full cherry blossom bloom..

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Deank wrote:next thing you know there will be some crazy west coaster posting these awesome pictures you tube videos of the clean streets already in full cherry blossom bloom..

fixed it for ya...

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat wrote:
Deank wrote:next thing you know there will be some crazy west coaster posting these awesome pictures you tube videos of the clean streets already in full cherry blossom bloom..

fixed it for ya...

Best you tube vid ever - the drunk taking a dump in the planter in the concourse below the Canwest building. Too Funny!!

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

Also a lot of lucky people on here may have dry property. But I heard there is a flood or something? Maybe some huge chunk of city resources are going there right now.

anny

contributor
contributor

I've seen a ton of workers out cleaning the streets today. There's an article about it in the paper.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Wha? A flood? Go on? Where?

Anonymous

Floodway!! What floodway??? Shut up and keep sandbagg'n eh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum