the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

So... how do we like the Automated Garbage collection now?

+6
Freeman
death128
LivingDead
Goth_chic
AGEsAces
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I know there are several of us on here who have them..just wondering what everyone thinks now that we have had them for all 4 seasons?

Me. I mostly like the program. Yep the stink during the summer gets pretty bad. Yep they are sometimes too small for me to throw everything out.

I just wish that at least the recycling program went automated at the same time. I think if the city actually took the time to look at how other areas implemented it before implementing ours that almost everyone would have liked them and use them properly.

Its too bad the program ends up costing more then manual collection because of the asinine way we implemented it.

Fellow winnipeg peeps that have them.. would you say that the rest of winnipeg should get them?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I'm still mixed.

There was a few weeks where I had done some major cleaning at home, and had to add just one bag (out of 12) per week to my regular pickup, because they wouldn't fit in the can.

Before I could've just put all the bags in a big pile out back and they'd go in the next pickup.

One thing that also has changed seems to be the pickup time.
In the last two months, I've called 311 4 times because they came to gather our street before 7am (closer to 6:30am), and I didn't have everything out yet.

They tell you have it out by 7:00am, which should indicate they don't start gathering anything UNTIL 7am.

3 times it was the recycling, once the garbage collection.

They sent someone out later that day to pickup the stuff that was missed.

TO address the smell of the can though Dean...I'd recommend drilling two holes in the bottom of your can. This will let the water out, and allow you to just hose it out and rinse it. Makes a BIG difference for odour and cleanliness of the cans.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah they are not supposed to start pick up until 7. Very legit complaint, but would not have changed I guess if it was still manual pick up?

and yeah the size sometimes catches me when I do some big clean up or whatever and not having a truck I cant really cart the garbage to the dump myself. I am contemplating the bigger can/or an additional can.

Thought about the drilling holes. Meant to call and ask about it. I would really not care to much for being charged for the can if it breaks in winter because I destroyed the structural integrity.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think it's great! We've had zero problems and haven't even filled it up yet...I find that we are recycling way more now then we were before. Two thumbs up!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"I find that we are recycling way more now then we were before."

which is why I wish the automated recycling kicked in. Mind you.....what would I do when I have lots of extra recycling? heh.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I like the automated system. I only have 1 concern and that is the bin size. I think we should be allowed to up size our bins for a small fee.

I would love to see a bin for recycling, nothing worse than seeing all the newspapers and stuff flying around on windy days.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

ummm...you can upsize your trash bin for a small fee.

and there are about 6 different sized Recycling boxes available, including one almost a metre tall for the current system.

http://www.photage.ca

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:ummm...you can upsize your trash bin for a small fee.

and there are about 6 different sized Recycling boxes available, including one almost a metre tall for the current system.

I thought the city was not offering that to us. I shall call 311 and check. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

I've heard that a lot of the recycling material ends up at Brady Road anyway, as there are no markets for much of the stuff. Someone mentioned the number is one out of five.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I believe that was 10 years ago. Thought they resolved all that?

Anonymous

That's what I thought too.

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

I'd like to be able to alert the collectors when it's full. A click of a button online or a simple phone in would put you in the qeueueueueu. An automated mapping system would outline the collectors best and most efficient route. I can dream. xD

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not bad idea.

But what about when unscrupulous people hack the system and send the truck off to areas that dont need pick up is in fact an ambush to steal the truck or the contents..

yeah,, see you got to think these ideas through ...

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

That's easy. The collectors just need to opt-in on the 'do not kill' and the 'do not steal' registries.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-do-not-kill-registry-to-allow-americans-to-opt,18155/

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Actually, the bin is fine. There was only one week where we actually had too much garbage and thats a family of 5 adults. With 3 healthy young sons at home, there is no problem for me to move the bin to the lane on garbage day. I wish we had similar bins for recycling.

Granted, the smell does get a little intense at times, but after all, it is garbage.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Will they be rolling this out to the entire city?

Anonymous

Hose + water = no smell

just say'n

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:Hose + water = no smell

just say'n

I do that on a regular basis, but if you hit one of those weeks with a long weekend which throws the cycle off, things get pretty ripe just before garbage day.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Besides, I have only nice smelling garbage. Smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Will they be rolling this out to the entire city?

they are in the process of rethinking the whole nightmare since they messed it up so badly in our area and it ends up costing the city more to implement now.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Good idea. Perhaps sober second thought should be undertaken on all city projects.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the problem was that the city waste department screwed up,
they never really consulted with anyone when they decided to offer the tender the two different ways (manual and automated)
they never really even researched what exactly automated pickup was in other cities and how those cities implemented it
they never really gave enough time for council to review the contract because the old one was expiring
Then council instead of looking at the offered contract for the garbage that it was, without simply typing automated garbage pickup into google before voting on the contract, they just accepted it because "they had to"

Automated pick up can work wonderfully. It has to be implemented properly. But you know what? Studying the issue does not really need to take that long, they simply need to look at how other cities did it.

Anonymous

The program cannot be implemented in older areas as there is a problem with collecting from both sides of the lane.

Again, not well thought out...as usual around here eh.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Simple solution. Dont use back lanes.

Anonymous

Ya right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum