the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

So... how do we like the Automated Garbage collection now?

+6
Freeman
death128
LivingDead
Goth_chic
AGEsAces
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Ya right.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why not?

really.. I have no clue why that is a bad idea

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:Will they be rolling this out to the entire city?

they are in the process of rethinking the whole nightmare since they messed it up so badly in our area and it ends up costing the city more to implement now.

How is it messed up?

Works great at my mom's house.

Who cares if it costs more. It beats the hell out of having to see piles of random garbage on the curb on garbage day. It is also a much better and bigger bin than you would buy from Home Depot.

I wish I had one out in EK.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

many ways
1) they never even considered the larger bins at first. (or multiple bins)
2) they never ensured the automated recycling was set at the same time
3) they never looked into the idea of all the garbage carts on one side not being feasible
4) they never thought about the increased garbage in summer because of leaves, grass

that is some of the items

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I would never want to drag my trash out front.
The back lane is where it belongs for several reasons.

1) there is ALWAYS trash spillage...which would then get put into the front yards making the neighbourhood a huge eyesore
2) there are cars parked on one side of the street, meaning all the trash cans have to go on the opposite side of the street, meaning dragging a full trash can across the road through traffic, and an empty back again...which for me may not be too bad, but for a kid doing his/her chore of taking the trash out makes it quite dangerous
3) safety - speed limits for back lanes is 20kmh, for roads is 50kmh...that alone should be reason enough
4) "window" shoppers - those deviants who go through everyone's garbage the night before looking for ???...at least in the back lane they aren't as much of a nuisance as messing up someone's front yard.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

those are not issues in the many many areas that dont have backlanes.

hell my street is a bus route and it aint a problem

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

but areas that don't have back lanes typically have driveways people actually park their vehicles in, or at the least a reduced number of vehicles on the street.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"east a reduced number of vehicles on the street"

I freakin wish!

heh. crazy neighbours owning 10 cars

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:many ways
1) they never even considered the larger bins at first. (or multiple bins)
2) they never ensured the automated recycling was set at the same time
3) they never looked into the idea of all the garbage carts on one side not being feasible
4) they never thought about the increased garbage in summer because of leaves, grass

that is some of the items

1) Seems to have been fixed now. Whiners can now pay for more bins.
2) Rolling out automated recycling would require the expiry of current contracts first.
3) Seems to be fixed now (cost is higher, but the service is better).
4) Yard waste collection program is now in effect. My mom used to just bring her stuff to the Leaf It With Us depots anyways.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

2).. the current contract has expired actually. an extension was granted in order for them to fully research all the issues that they messed up
4) not really. it only happens twice a year. my neighbour used to generate 4 bags every time he cut his grass. (yes yes compost blah blah blah whatever) its still a problem

points 1 and 2 are only temp fixes and I am sorry but dismissing it as sure its more expensive is not really acceptable. Its only more expensive because they never planned it properly.

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:2).. the current contract has expired actually. an extension was granted in order for them to fully research all the issues that they messed up
4) not really. it only happens twice a year. my neighbour used to generate 4 bags every time he cut his grass. (yes yes compost blah blah blah whatever) its still a problem

2) The contract with the extension is really only the NW community IIRC. So if they are planning on rolling out carts to the entire city they might as well extend the NW contract and let 1 or 2 more expire in the meantime. I like the recycling carts as well. Had one in Calgary and it worked really well.

4) Your neighbour should get a second bin. There. Problem solved. If he can't afford one, a mulching blade is $20. If he can't afford that, he should learn how to compost. There is no reason why we have to fill the landfills with grass clippings.

There will always be a few people that will b1tch and complain about everything and come up with a MILLION reasons to resist change or why the change is unjust to them. Hell, my mom's neighbour hauled his garbage to the dumpster at his work because he hated the garbage bins that much. He didn't use his for months, then one day I saw it out there. Now its out every week. Go figure.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't believe a second bin is an option.

As to people bitchin' sputnik, not everyone is as independently wealthy as you and your mommy. Foisting this cost on peeps that cannot afford it is not entirely reasonable.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Sput.. I totally agree. the problem is that quite wisely they realized they f'd up implementing it. And instead of shooting from the hip and forcing it around the city they are delaying it to study if the changes they implemented are actually going to work

" The contract with the extension is really only the NW community IIRC."

nope. The RECYLING contract is city wide. Its garbage contracts that are divided up across the city.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yes a second cart is an option

$93 per year

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

one slight problem with the current discussion on automated recycling pickup.

They think we all only need a 240 litre cart.

I can tell you with certainty that most weeks I am over the 240 litre for recycling. Sure I dont jump up and down on it to flatten the hell out of it. But if one of the main purposes for automated recycling is to get people to recycle more we should automatically go with the bigger 360 litre cart right off the start.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh..

the amazing feedback used to decide on the automated garbage collection strategy

So... how do we like the Automated Garbage collection now? - Page 2 Gar110

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:one slight problem with the current discussion on automated recycling pickup.

They think we all only need a 240 litre cart.

I can tell you with certainty that most weeks I am over the 240 litre for recycling. Sure I dont jump up and down on it to flatten the hell out of it. But if one of the main purposes for automated recycling is to get people to recycle more we should automatically go with the bigger 360 litre cart right off the start.

Seriously?

I had a 240L cart in Calgary and sometimes I would go 2 weeks before putting it on the curb and that was recycling EVERYTHING we possibly could. On an average week we could barely fill half a black garbage bag with our trash.

That said, we flatten our boxes and cans and try to avoid over-packaged stuff.

Considering the current blue box is ~50L (and some can't even fill that one) a 240L cart should suffice for the vast majority of the population. I am sure you would be willing to flatten your recyclables to ensure that the initial roll-out costs are lower.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

on a low week I have 1 large blue box and 2 smaller blue boxes and some other stuff sitting in a box

AND with that, we are not even recycling everything that we possible could

Dont freakin ask me where it all comes from as I have no idea how we can have so much recycling

240 MIGHT do it. But I would rather have a larger recycling bin then a larger garbage bin.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

sputnik wrote:Seriously?
Apples to grapefruits. Deank has twenty-seven kids, three wives, 12 cats and 1 dog.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hmm you know what. Next week I will keep all my garbage to the side and use the bin for my recycling and see where I end up.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

What the hell are we talking about? What is this "automated garbage collection" that you speak of? Clearly The Chosen who live in River Heights do not have this, because it sure ain't tossing your sacks into the back lane on Wednesday night and hoping for the best.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

indeed you dont have it

its in the nw part of peg.

http://winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/garbage/automatedCartCollectionFAQ.stm#8

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Still on auto-bins in my part of West K.

However, whilst I was in Woseley, the system worked alright. Our only issue there was we were renting the main floor in a house, and there were 3 other units above us. Another one was a whole family. We had just the one bin. Some pick ups were ... uh... interesting.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

47 posts so far...about garbage.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you mean 48

Freeman

Freeman