the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

garbage cart idea passed

+12
FlyingRat
sputnik
Outsider
Goth_chic
incognito
JT Estoban
Bartron
grumpy old man
Miz point
LivingDead
AGEsAces
Deank
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 am

GGF

major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you said:

oh I know.. used to have one, it was bad... but this was worse, at least those are open air basically, these little things are air tight and work as perfect little sun ovens me thinks.

Anyone who has seen these in other places.. were they grey/black there too?

Usually standard issue dark grey/black the ones I have seen and also in other cities...and...

And if they are colored it is because they are "usually" used for recycling or compost...GGF

102garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Autobins are in use in the neighbourhood that I work and most of them are black, but thats because they have all been set on fire.

103garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 am

Anonymous

Not in Wpg you josh .

104garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 am

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

We haven't had any fires in our autobins yet but they are "Tagged with Graffiti"...GGF

105garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

We have the old style black autobins (personal to our hoem because we don't have back lanes) and in the summer especially, they can become very smelly. One of the things we do every week is take the hose to it, pour a little bleach in the bottom and have at 'er. This helps to clean it out, keeps the smell relatively low and also keeps the cats away from it. We also never fill it up to over flowing and if we do have to over flow it, we will wait until garbage day to do so.
As for the colours of other bins, I do know that in some of the 'burbs in Vancouver, the blue bins are for recylcing and then there are green ones and they are for yard waste/composting. This concept really works for my friends, this way there is no confusion as to which truck is to pick up which bin.

106garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

maybe mine stinks so bad because I dont have much filler (because so much goes to recycling), but I just cant see it being even remotely tolerable in the summer.

107garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank, one way to combat the issue is to not completely close the lid until you actually have to put it out on the curb (in the winter time anyway). I realize keeping it closed all the time may be necessary if it is sitting outside but if it is inside a garage, not keeping it sealed may work.

108garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 am

Anonymous

Cleaner garbage Dean

109garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah I am going to try leaving it open this week ( outside.) see if that helps.

110garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Anonymous

I always put a tie around the plastic bags and the smell seems to be contained pretty well. At least smells are contained to the bag and not the garbage can itself.

111garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:these little things are air tight and work as perfect little sun ovens me thinks.

Sweet, so eventually when all the bitching and complaining about these carts is over, and due to all the B & C and we finally throw this idea on the Brady Road trash pile with the rest ....the cart's will still have some value as a composter!

Or a really smelly outdoor oven on a hot day!

112garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Smells aren't some nebulous floating molecules that can be killed with Febreeze.

If your garbage can stinks it is due to the bags are leaking garbage juice into your bin and the only way to clean it out would be to wash it like any other garbage can.

113garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

GGF wrote:We haven't had any fires in our autobins yet but they are "Tagged with Graffiti"...GGF

Lucky, I'm only a block away from you, and we have an autobin fire in our backlane at least once a month in summer... once, it even spread to my neighbour's garage.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

114garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"....the cart's will still have some value as a composter! "

heh.. I was actually thinking that maybe I would get myself a second one because it works way better then the compost bins I have already.

115garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

what are you doing with your old one?? lol

116garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

melting them down and using them to fill in potholes?

( have two )

117garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

SMW you said:

Lucky, I'm only a block away from you, and we have an autobin fire in our backlane at least once a month in summer... once, it even spread to my neighbour's garage.

Yeah we haven't had any fires in the autobin in my block in particular and I think it's because everyone around knows my nut neighbor will use any peep that tries to start one as "Target Practice"...and...

And I use to laugh when he would brag about it when he use to always come out to talk to me at every chance he had and before the dispute started last year etc...True story folks...GGF

118garbage cart idea passed - Page 5 Empty Re: garbage cart idea passed Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:57 am

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Garbage bin protest idea in the works...

a) Wait till all garbage bins get real stinky on a hot summer day...and...

b) And then "All" gather at city hall with stinky garbage bins...and...

c) And then line "All Stinky Garbage Bins" along sidewalks and pathways used by Sammy and the Cronies at City Hall...and...

d) And then "All" stand silently while waving at "All" going in to do what they call real work at City Hall...LOL!...GGF

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum