the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

hydro might go on strike!

+5
grumpy old man
LivingDead
grumpyrom
FlyingRat
Deank
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 pm

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:My Dad was an executive and made a ton of money, he received very generous bonuses. He worked his FREAKIN ASS OFF. He was paid for 37.5 hours per week but put in over 60 per week, he was always working on weekends, flying away on business etc etc. He deserved every FREAKIN penny. So GOM until you've walked in the shoes of an executive do not speak about what you do not know.

What makes you think that non-executives dont work their asses off? My father is a lowly trades person, has never belonged to a union, and has never worked less than a 60 hour week in his life. Does that mean he deserves a raise or bonus any more or less than your executive dad?

My executive Dad was also educated...was your Dad? I'm sure your dad received OT did he not? My Dad never received OT, he worked hard and long stressful hours.

Nope, he came to Canada with a trade school degree and unable to speak a word of English. He's earned a decent middle class income by virtue of his work ethic. He's also in the process I'm sure earned his employer many times over his wages over the last 30 years in profit. Does he deserve a raise or bonus any LESS than your senior exectuve dad by virtue of his job title and education level?

Well actually yes he deserves less. My Dad worked full time while attending U of M in the evening and on Saturdays. He also had a wife and 2 small children. He bettered himself so he could give us the kind of life he never had. Why would anyone go to University to make the same as someone who didn't? That sounds like Communism to me...

That's not the question I asked Goth. Obviously not every job is deserving of the same wages. I asked if he is any more or less deserving of a raise or bonus? Wages had nothing to do with the question.

27hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:
Deank wrote:same here. no raise this year.. why? oh right THE FREAKIN ECONOMY

Unless your employer failed to generate a profit, and froze wages for all staff including management and executives, and cut out all bonus's then there's no reason for you not to see a raise just because of THE FREAKIN ECONOMY.

Way too many companies have used the genereal state of the economy as an excuse to horde profits, and apparently there's plenty of people willing to fall for it.

Despite the economy, my employer continues to generate a healthy 10% net profit an increase of almost 3% from 2008. I have no doubt in my mind that if our contract was up for renewal we would be hearing about demands for a wage freeze due to THE FREAKING ECONOMY. All the while the CEO would continue to get his $20 million bonus, NBU employee would still get their annual bonus pay....but those union types they'd be the ones who are unreasonable for refusing to drop wages because of THE FREAKING ECONOMY.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

all wages are frozen. As well there will be no bonuses this year. Thankfully NO LAYOFFS EITHER!

That sounds fair then. As long as it's not just the workers being asked to take one for the team I have no quarrels with wage freezes. It's when companies cry poverty while giving senior management bonuses and raises that I get pissed off. In my opinion what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Don't come asking me for a freeze if your not taking one.

28hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 am

Anonymous

I'm afraid that greed has no bounds.

29hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:45 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Did union leaders get a raise this year?

30hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:16 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:I'm afraid that greed has no bounds.
You're a landlord eh JTF? Would you say you are greedy? You want to make a reasonable return on your investment. Right? What is reasonable?

But you took the risks right?

You pay for the repairs right?

What happens if something major is needed? Say a $5000 roofing repair. It wipes out all your profits for the year?

But you still paid that roofer right? If you did not put some of your profits aside for that rainy day how would you pay for that roof repair?

This is a microcosm of any business. The sooner people like grumpyrom realize this the better. And maybe, just maybe, unions and their members will be a little more realistic.

31hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Exactly, most workers in Canada are employed by small-medium enterprises, business that was started by one guy or a couple who put their personal possessions at risk so they would have the freedom to make decisions that they wanted, rather than work for someone else. Look at any small business owner and consider the hours, the agony and the risk that has been put into their business. Consider that they do all this and employ people, give them jobs so they can feed, house and cloth their families. Its easy for the unions to poke at large corporations like Wal-Mart (even consider their beginnings under Sam Walton), but thats not the real story.

Where does this "share the wealth" crap come from? If you want more, go out and get it, if you are happy with an honest days pay for an honest days work, great, but where does it say that business owners have to re-distribute their wealth?

32hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:38 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Right on BROTHER! Let's stick it to the man...

33hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 am

Anonymous

I'm speaking to the greed that is displayed by some unions where it comes to becoming partners with the owners and driving the business into the ground, and on the other side, people like the Enron Boys, etc.

I'm not talking about reasonable compensation for the risks. I'm talking about multi-million dollar bonuses for failing.

34hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So theres enough greed to go around?

35hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 am

Anonymous

Like I said, it has no bounds.

36hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

One of the stories about chinas 60th under communist rule had this one town where instead of privatizing when everyone else did in the last couple of decades the entire town took owenship of their ironworks. Pretty much everyone lives in the same house ( umm 2000sqft? ) has huge TVs, nice furniture, all the food they want,, etc etc. So it has become the shining beacon of light for they way communism is supposed to work. The local leader of course gets a bigger house, and a better car, seemingly more food as he was a little bigger (but for some reason absolutely no dental care.. dude had all black teeth)

People immediatly outside the town still starve and barely make ends meet.

37hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

IBEW set up picket lines today, the other 2 unions say they will strike come monday.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

38hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:47 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Free Press synopsis said all three unions have asked for wage increases.

39hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

You guys are all singing the praises of Capitalism and Profits. What good has Capitalism actually done? We have destroyed and raped the earth. And the financial/credit system is on the brink of total destruction.

WOO HOO Capitalism rocks!

/End Rant

40hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You're being more than a little melodramatic no? The BRINK of total destruction?

When peeps start yelling the sky is falling I tune out. Now if you'd said here is where I think we are and here is why. And here. And here. I'd take it a little more seriously.

41hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:You're being more than a little melodramatic no? The BRINK of total destruction?

When peeps start yelling the sky is falling I tune out. Now if you'd said here is where I think we are and here is why. And here. And here. I'd take it a little more seriously.

Meh

42hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Great response. Thanks for the engaged debate. But meh is a great response too.

43hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 62795

44hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:04 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Bartron wrote:You guys are all singing the praises of Capitalism and Profits. What good has Capitalism actually done? We have destroyed and raped the earth. And the financial/credit system is on the brink of total destruction.

/End Rant

It would have not mattered what system we have. All progress would have had the same end results. If it were not for Capitalism/Comunism etc... we would all be still swinging stone hoe's working our fields till the ripe old age of 40.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

45hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Swinging stoned Ho's? oops....need new glasses....that does it! I am so going on strike! Hmmm.....hehehe.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

46hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Miz point wrote:Swinging stoned Ho's? oops....need new glasses....that does it! I am so going on strike! Hmmm.....hehehe.

Lots of stoned ho's in the north end. LOL

47hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hahahah......not in PD eh? Site of the first picket line as of six pm Friday....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

48hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:21 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Those IBEW commie bastards...first time striking in their 50 year history. How can you negotiate with such difficult pricks?

49hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Bartron wrote:You guys are all singing the praises of Capitalism and Profits. What good has Capitalism actually done? We have destroyed and raped the earth. And the financial/credit system is on the brink of total destruction.

/End Rant

At least your not too blind to see the forest from the trees.

50hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

grumpyrom wrote:Those IBEW commie bastards...first time striking in their 50 year history. How can you negotiate with such difficult pricks?
Ahhh, you've come to your senses.

51hydro might go on strike! - Page 2 Empty Re: hydro might go on strike! Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Personally, I don't think any crown corporation, government or city workers should be allowed to strike or belong to a union.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum