the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should all road users pay road tax? If so, how much should it be for cyclists ?

+6
LivingDead
Miz point
Freeman
St Norberter
grumpy old man
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Miz point wrote:How many pedestrians are injured or killed by motorists???? I would hazard a guess and say a damned sight more than are injured or killed by cyclists.

So what? What has that to do with the price of tea in China.

Please go away and do extensive research. Discover how many motorists and cyclists are on the streets. Then calculate how many cyclists are killed by motorists. Then do the exact same math with pedestrians and cyclists.

Then do the same math but include the calculations of cyclists that are killed by motorists that are the cyclists fault. Then do the same with pedestrians and cyclists.

See ya in a couple days. Smile

I am so gonna spank your ass GOM if it is the last thing I freakin' do......smart ass. Should all road users pay road tax? If so, how much should it be for cyclists ? - Page 2 Icon_smile

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Cyclists appear to all hate cars passing them too closely, but almost all cyclists pass very, very closely when the cars are waiting at a red light....making the cars have to pass them again and again. [end rant]

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

LivingDead wrote:
Insurance. Cyclists need insurance and they need to follow the laws of the road. Think about it. MPI has crazy rates for motorcyclists. The rates for non-powed cycles should be frigging astronomical if you use MPI's though processes.
Do you know why they have crazy rates for motorcycles? Because their insurance model assigns all costs related to motorcycle accidents to motorcycle accidents to motorcycle class regardless of who is at fault (car/motorcycle). If MPIs model was fair and representative, motorcycle costs should go down and vehicle costs should go up.
As for pedestrian/cyclist collisions. If a cyclist causes a pedestrian injury - should they be held responsible? yes, if they are responsible for the accident.
Hypothetically, if I am riding on a sidewalk and I ride into a pedestrian, then yes it is my fault and I should be held responsible. But what about the more common scenario? Where the pedestrian steps off the curb in fron tof the cyclist without looking ( or better yet, looking and stepping off anyway), or a cyclist passing a pedestrian on a MUP on the left and calling 'on your left' and/or using a horn/bell and having the pedestrian walk right in front of them anyway? Do we licence and insure pedestrians as well?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Miz point wrote:I will pay when motorists realize that I too have to follow the same rules, am given the same courtesies when signalling a lane change so I can f*cking turn without getting killed, am not run over by buses in lanes where it is clearly marked that i too have priority, am not yelled at to get on the sidewalk where i belong by idiot motorists....my list of complaints is long.....I follow the rules almost slavishly and many times I have been injured by thoughtless motorists who when clearly in the wrong still choose to rebuke me.....I will pay when there are more bike trails....

We have been asking for decent trails for well over thirty years.....yesterday's announcement elicited a whoop de do response from me...should have been done years ago.....

I've said this before and I'll say this until my dying breath: cyclists break far more rules every single day than cars do. Almost every cyclist I see goes through the red lights. Almost every cyclist I see passes me on the right. Almost every cyclist I see rides on the sidewalk.

So go ahead and be all indignant-like but you are so very wrong on this notion that car drivers are the evilist peeps on the road. It simply is not true.

Yes it is yes it is yes it is yes it is......I follow the rules to a T......many of my cohorts do as well and when we cycle or drive a car and see another cyclist ignoring the laws we call them out on it....I know there are scofflaws but it would be really nice if some motorists out there would reacquaint themselves with the laws regarding cyclists, roads and cars.....two way goddamned street right?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

[quote="Miz point"]
LivingDead wrote:
Why are you so worried about a cyclist scratching your car? chances are if its scratched it is because of some vandal or idiot in a parking lot perpetrating the act...if a cyclist does this to you perhaps you are not giving him/her enough room? There is a law regarding that......you may want to look it up.

You've completed that research already?

Chances are it is scratched because the cyclist passed him on the right. There are laws against that and I can safely say far more cyclists do that than motorists squeeze out cyclists.

Anonymous

JTF wrote:Cyclists appear to all hate cars passing them too closely, but almost all cyclists pass very, very closely when the cars are waiting at a red light....making the cars have to pass them again and again. [end rant]

Seems a cyclist that acts like a dumbass is amoung us eh...lol. Seems some don't know what the rules of the road really are.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

St Norberter wrote:
LivingDead wrote:
Insurance. Cyclists need insurance and they need to follow the laws of the road. Think about it. MPI has crazy rates for motorcyclists. The rates for non-powed cycles should be frigging astronomical if you use MPI's though processes.
Do you know why they have crazy rates for motorcycles? Because their insurance model assigns all costs related to motorcycle accidents to motorcycle accidents to motorcycle class regardless of who is at fault (car/motorcycle). If MPIs model was fair and representative, motorcycle costs should go down and vehicle costs should go up.
As for pedestrian/cyclist collisions. If a cyclist causes a pedestrian injury - should they be held responsible? yes, if they are responsible for the accident.
Hypothetically, if I am riding on a sidewalk and I ride into a pedestrian, then yes it is my fault and I should be held responsible. But what about the more common scenario? Where the pedestrian steps off the curb in fron tof the cyclist without looking ( or better yet, looking and stepping off anyway), or a cyclist passing a pedestrian on a MUP on the left and calling 'on your left' and/or using a horn/bell and having the pedestrian walk right in front of them anyway? Do we licence and insure pedestrians as well?

Thanks for citing those examples as that bullshit happens to me everyday......even other cyclists on MUP I have had to rebuke for not shouting out the "on your left" phrase....I always do and for the most part I get thanked.....it is just good safety sense.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say this until my dying breath: cyclists break far more rules every single day than cars do. Almost every cyclist I see goes through the red lights. Almost every cyclist I see passes me on the right. Almost every cyclist I see rides on the sidewalk.

So go ahead and be all indignant-like but you are so very wrong on this notion that car drivers are the evilist peeps on the road. It simply is not true.
There are bad cyclists and bad drivers. But your statement above is incorrect without a qualifier. You're probably correct if you look at it in terms of infractions per cyclist, however if you are looking at total infractions you are totally out to lunch.
you also need to look at the root cause of those infractions. For example look at ridign your bike on the sidewalk. Why do people do that? I think most do because they feel it is safer than riding on the road. make the road safer to ride on ( one part of the solution is driver education), and then maybe you'll see less of those infractions.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Chances are it is scratched because the cyclist passed him on the right. There are laws against that and I can safely say far more cyclists do that than motorists squeeze out cyclists.
You are coompletely incorrect.
e.g lets say I pass every stop car on the right ( I don't, but let's just say I do)
I do get pinched by anywhere from 4-10 cars on each leg of my commute (one of the reason why I ride in the middle of the lane)
So lets do the math
Number of bicyclists that pass on the right: 1
Number of cars that pinch out cyclists: 4-10
I'm pretty sure that numbers of 4 and up are greater than 1.
Should all road users pay road tax? If so, how much should it be for cyclists ? - Page 2 Icon_wink

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:
JTF wrote:Cyclists appear to all hate cars passing them too closely, but almost all cyclists pass very, very closely when the cars are waiting at a red light....making the cars have to pass them again and again. [end rant]

Seems a cyclist that acts like a dumbass is amoung us eh...lol. Seems some don't know what the rules of the road really are.

Seems the head dumb ass likes to keep baiting people....give it a rest already dude.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:

When you reply to your own quote, you don't make any sense.
If you are going to make a baseless accusation, then do that so everybody can see right throught it, but don't spew vague crap like the above.

Anonymous

I apologize for not making it more clear for you. I'll type slower next time.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:I apologize for not making it more clear for you. I'll type slower next time.
If you are going to suggest someone is 'a' dumbass cyclist, when there are obviously more than one cyclist posting, indicate who you are referring to.
Either way, unless you have actually seen them ride, then yes, it's a baseless accusation. There is no need to spew personal attack crap.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Regarding personal attack crap, I was under the impression that was 87% of the reason to have these forums?

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How about this!
I will give $50 to anyone that runs MizP off the road when she is on her bike, as long as I can be there, because I will get $1,000 worth of entertainment when she beats the crap out of him!! lol

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Heheheheh....you old fart....bring it on Should all road users pay road tax? If so, how much should it be for cyclists ? - Page 2 Icon_smile I promise not to disappoint.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You aren't supposed to be in town!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hehehehe.... I knew it would be a fun discussion when I posted it, but did not think this many peeps would be sitting inside arguing about this on a Sunday...

to allthe cyclists posting.. get the hell out there and enjoy this weather!

Anonymous

Yes and signal when you go out on the road hehehehe.

Triathlon68

Triathlon68

The entire cost of infrastructure debate is a moot point. The cost savings to government by promoting cycling, although indirect, in all likely hood negates of cost of developing infrastructure: reduced traffic = less polution = less road repairs = reduced health care cost from healthier society = etc... This is should a gimme for governments.

The real question is about the insurance issue as you have all been discussing. I have no clue how this could work however. But here is some food for thought that I can't figure answers to:

- If cyclist should pay insurance, why not roller-bladers, skateboarders, dog-walkers, joggers, etc... What happens if a pedestrian accidentally scratches a car? Is that pedestrian covered by MPI? Would they require a bike shop to safety it?

- Would race bikes only used for competition be exempt?

- At what age would you have to begin registering your bike? Would kids riding around their neighborhood with training wheels have to be insured as well? What if you own multiple bikes? Insurance for each of them or would it be transferrable?

- We used to have a licensing system way back in the day. Why did you get rid of it in the first place? Probably simply wasn't cost-effective and probably wouldn't be until about 10-15% of the population commutes to work on bikes. The cost to pay for 1 bureaucrat to process the system would be approx $50,000 per year. Lets assume 500 people legitemately commute to downtown every day (probably accurate) that means they would all have to pay about $100 a piece in just to pay this person's salary. And we all know the cost to set up such a program would cost well more than $50,000 - So its a cost benefit game as well.

- Why are cyclist not allowed on the sidewalks anyways? We always just assume that this is correct, simply because the highway traffic act says so. But overall, its obviously safer to mix pedestrians (5km/h) with cyclists (20km/h) than cyclists with cars (60km/h +). With the exception of downtown, 98% of sidewalks in the suburbs are completely void of pedestrian traffic anyways (ie. Lindenwoods, Royal Wood, White Ridge, etc...) Seems like a wasted resource that otherwise could be shared. Could both not share the sidewalk, but with the legal understanding that the pedestrian has the right of way?

Have fun with that.

Triathlon68

Triathlon68

Also, the reason the government would be hesitant to force an insurance and licensing system with cyclists, is because once they do that, they effectively legitimize cycling as a mode of transportation in legal terms - which then leads to a near obligation to actually then build legitimate cycling infrastructure - something they've been able to avoid for years, because the bikes currently exists in the grey area.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"- If cyclist should pay insurance, why not roller-bladers, skateboarders, dog-walkers, joggers, etc... What happens if a pedestrian accidentally scratches a car? Is that pedestrian covered by MPI? Would they require a bike shop to safety it"

They are actually considering a tax(insurance) on pedestrians in one european town... although I really doubt many people are behind the politician proposing it

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Why are cyclist not allowed on the sidewalks anyways? We always just assume that this is correct, simply because the highway traffic act says so. But overall, its obviously safer to mix pedestrians (5km/h) with cyclists (20km/h) than cyclists with cars (60km/h +). "

ahh but the problem here is not only the potential for cyclist to smash into pedestrians... more of the cyclists, since they become pedestrians by being on the sidewalk now have the "right of way" at intersections. Its rather difficult for a vehicle stopped at an intersection to deal with cyclists simply because they move too fast. You can pull up to an intersection look to the left.. no one walking except something about 1/2 block away. Look to the right... no one coming.. prepare to go and WAMO!!! the half block away thing is already on top of you.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Cyclists are supposed to dismount if using pedestrian street crossings.....they are also supposed to dismount if using crosswalks.....it is unfortunate that those of us who do follow the rules have to put up with ignorant taunts and criticisms.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

St Norberter wrote:There are bad cyclists and bad drivers. But your statement above is incorrect without a qualifier. You're probably correct if you look at it in terms of infractions per cyclist, however if you are looking at total infractions you are totally out to lunch.
you also need to look at the root cause of those infractions. For example look at ridign your bike on the sidewalk. Why do people do that? I think most do because they feel it is safer than riding on the road. make the road safer to ride on ( one part of the solution is driver education), and then maybe you'll see less of those infractions.

Well duh... I'm saying as a percentage of cyclists. I say half (who the frick knows) of all cyclists run red lights. And one percent of all drivers run red lights.

I see cyclists riding like complete bozos on the road even when the road is parallel with a bike path.

I watched, from behind, a cyclist occupy an entire lane, with traffic piling up behind him. He then passed a number of cars stopped at a red light, on the right between the cars and the curb. Zoom through that red light. Get passed again by those same cars who then got stopped by another red light. The cyclist then passed those same cars on the right again, and proceeded to zoom through yet another red light.

This happens all the time. This is not some isolated incident of a rebel cyclist.

And PUUULLLEEASE STOP saying "well here is what motorists do" as if it justifies cyclists' behaviour. It does not.

This morning I watched as two cyclists rode side-by-side on a one lane street, effectively blocking traffic. When they reached a cross-road they simply rode up the sidewalk and off they went.

If it is too dangerous to ride on roads then get off your bike and go educate those drivers.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not all cyclists do what you have seen. I bristle at the antics of those scofflaws for it makes my life more difficult on the road....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum