the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stoopid Laws in Manitoba

+10
FlyingRat
eastsider
LivingDead
SMW
rosencrentz
Freeman
Electrician
grumpy old man
Deank
AGEsAces
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:46 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I'm putting this here because I'd like it to apply to Manitoba...but it's being prompted by an article I read about Ontario's new STUPID law banning cell phones etc.

That, and I heard an interview yesterday with Doer about proposing the same law...but with JAIL TIME attached to it.

First...there's ALREADY a law that applies to idiots who use a cell phone, handheld, gameboy, or eat fast food, drink coffee, put on makeup, etc...it's called "driving with distraction"...and is punishable with fines AND demerits.

Second...there are those who CAN drive reasonably while on cell phones etc., and there are those who just don't belong behind the wheel to begin with....but somehow still received (and have) their license.

Third...punishing someone for talking on a cell phone etc. would be the same as punishing them because they have someone in the back seat of their vehicle. MOST drivers will talk to someone in the back seat (think their kids) while looking in the mirror at them. So what's next? ban kids from riding in vehicles? Ban vehicles from having more than one seat?

I'm all for punishing those who actually CAUSE incidents. If a driver causes damage or injury, then throw the book at him/her. License suspension, vehicle registration ban, fines, demerits, etc. Causes death...jail time, community service.

But punishing someone for chatting on their phone specifically, would be like arresting someone for robbing a store because he walked in carrying a knife. Maybe he's just carrying the knife...maybe he's just showing it off...or he wants to sell it to the store owner...making the assumption he's committing a crime is just wrong.

Now...this thread is about STOOPID laws in Manitoba...this is just one that's being proposed that I find completely offensive...not because I think people shouldn't drive safely, or that I think driving with a cell phone to your ear is safe...but because the law is already in place...and creating yet ANOTHER law that won't be enforced seems pretty stupid to me.

Any others you know about that just should not be on the books?

http://www.photage.ca

2Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no public nudity. We have to get that removed. Whats wrong with this society when we are perfectly fine with slasher flicks, allow public drinking, see wrestling and boxing and UFC, have movies about killing cops and dealing drugs and living the high life... but we cant walk around nude.

Thats messed up

3Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Cell phone bans are bizzarro. I agree talking with someone in the car is equally distracting especially an annoying child or bitching spouse.

4Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:no public nudity... but we cant walk around nude.

Thats messed up
Some people should NOT be walking around nude...

5Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:no public nudity... but we cant walk around nude.

Thats messed up
Some people should NOT be walking around nude...
for every person that should not be.. there is one person who it should be mandatory.

6Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:no public nudity. We have to get that removed. Whats wrong with this society when we are perfectly fine with slasher flicks, allow public drinking, see wrestling and boxing and UFC, have movies about killing cops and dealing drugs and living the high life... but we cant walk around nude.

Thats messed up

I've always wondered about that...

It's ok to fill a guy with bullets, but show a nipple and suddenly you're evil.

And...if you think about it...we have more and more shows and games glamorizing violence and crime...and we have more and more violence and crime.

Maybe we need more tv shows, movies & games depicting love, romance, and nudity Very Happy.

7Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces for President!

8Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I wanna be Queen Very Happy.

9Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

welll......You can dress as one all you want..

10Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Oh...yeah...the dress thing...never mind...

I wanna be King!!! Very Happy.

11Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

great now I got the Lion King song running through my head... thanks alot.

12Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:50 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Hakuna Matata Very Happy.

13Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

So what ever happened to the annual Folklorama streakers?
Did they get the boot?
It must have been one of those huge moose-hunting swamp boots...
Hey Dean:
BOOTS
BOOTS
BOOTS!
Rant out of pants today. cheers

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I understand cellphones are to be banned while driving. What about those that have a real good hands-free system? Is that the same distraction? Is cellphone use any more a distraction then engaging in a discussion with passengers?

There is also talk about banning smoking in cars when children are present. Would a GOOD parent smoke in a car (really confined area) with the children present?

How about eating and drinking? Makeup application? Shaving?

Perhaps we can apply existing laws and just enforce them. Good luck with that. Food for thought.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

15Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:49 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Just more smoke and bullshit from the Doer government. "Imprudent Driving" currently exists under the Highway Traffic Act and all the things mentioned could result in a charge, but Doething has to make it look like they're doing something.

By the way, you forgot to include singing to yourself or arguing with the guy on the radio as one of the distractions to driving.

16Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Isn't this a GREAT topic? Very Happy.

17Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Anyone who complains about cell phone use, hand held, while driving lacks any common sense!
Anyone who complains about smoking in a car with children lacks common sense, as well as the government specifying "children" also lacks common sense. All smoking in an enclosed space should be banned!
Anyone who spells stoopid should know that, that spelling would irritate me! It really is stupid!! (lol)
Anyone who believes anything that "they" say is dangerous lacks common sense!
I love when a story quotes"may", " probably",
Do you remember the warnings about being overweight, or the trans fat , saturated fat warnings. All based on no studies!
No butter use margarine, and now no margarine with what? trans or no trans??
All the time our longevity gets worse and worse!

http://www.elansofas.com

18Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Spelling errors bother me too...but intentional spelling differences aren't so bad.

Most words in the English language are derived from misspellings and/or misinterpretations of words in other languages. English being a cornucopia of words from the French, German, Latin, Greek, etc.

Even when creating this thread I cringed when I read the title "Stoopid"...but reread it and realized the deliberate misspelling may attract the eye of those who notice such things.

Again though, I agree driving while holding a cell phone is dangerous.
I agree smoking at all, but especially with kids in the car is hazardous to everyone's health.
I agree that not wearing a seatbelt can cause significantly more damage than when one is worn.

I just vehemently argue that there do NOT need to be separate laws addressing these issues. The laws are ALREADY in place!!! Enforce them, and people will comply...creating MORE laws that aren't enforced just creates more animosity for the politicians and contempt for the whole justice system!!!

19Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

apparently its not a cell phone ban.. its a hand held electronic device ban. What does this do for cabbies and trucker on CBs?
"Under the Doer government's bill, the ban would cover only hand-held electronic devices while driving. Drivers will be allowed to make a call if they pull off the road and stop. Those who have a hands-free car phone will be allowed to talk and drive at the same time, despite some studies showing hands-free phones are just as distracting, as the driver is focused on the conversation, not the road."

20Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:35 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

So... I shouldn't be playing games on my Wonderswan or Gameboy while driving, then...?

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

21Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

apparently not. Who would have thought eh?

hmm I guess that remote controlled adult toy is out too...

22Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:39 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Since you "drive" the bus then go ahead...

23Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm.. but dont use the adult toy on the bus.. mkay?

24Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:43 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Prudes.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

25Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Empty Re: Stoopid Laws in Manitoba Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Does that outlaw garage door remote controls?
Or do you have to keep it in your mouth between your teeth and press hard on the button with your fangs?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum