the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doer will retire before the next election

+12
eViL tRoLl
winnipegceilingcat
St Norberter
holly golightly
Deank
grumpy old man
Freeman
FlyingRat
AGEsAces
Electrician
Winklovic
Triniman
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Doer will retire before the next election Empty Doer will retire before the next election Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Premier Doer stepping down, Free Press.
"WINNIPEG - Premier Gary Doer will be stepping down this fall, ending his reign as Canada's longest-serving current premier.
At a hastily called news conference this morning, Doer said he won't run in the next provincial election in Oct. 2011.
He did not give an exact date for his resignation, but a press release indicated it would take place in the fall, after a replacement is chosen."

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

Who does he think he is, Sarah Palin?

Good riddance, I say.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

If the election is in 2011, it's probably too late to start a new political party that can actually win then.
My suggestion is that we should all join the Tories and attempt to influence them to our way of thinking, whatever the heck that may be; ie. making MB a have-province, reversing the Hydro decision regarding the new transmission lines, etc.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe he just said he was about to change his tires... (re-tire).

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Maybe he's replacing Layton in selling software training videos.

http://www.photage.ca

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

AGEsAces wrote:Maybe he's replacing Layton in selling software training videos.

Oops...meant in running for Federal election Wink.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

That would be a riot if Doer and Blaikie just switch places. Would suck to be Jim Malloway tho...

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Could he end up as the prez of the rights museum? That was an early rumour.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Triniman wrote:Could he end up as the prez of the rights museum? That was an early rumour.

But that's not due to open till 2012...so why rush it?

Anonymous

Doer knows that the NDP's time is up.

Anonymous

Yep and doulble dipper Blakie is next.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe Doer is going enter "private" business. lol!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Doer knows that the NDP's time is up.
I wish I had your optimism JTF. Too many Manitobans seem truly indifferent to the BS the NDP has foisted upon us low these many years.

McFayden better get his a$$ in gear. They are hiring a new communications officer right now. Maybe he/she will have a little imagination and can create an environment that will get attention.

Here's wishing.

Anonymous

McFadden is a joke he has no political experience and is not ready to lead sad to say . It is scary for the future of this province .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There is some very interesting debate going on the internet. Many have instilled sainthood on Doer already. I believe it is hard to deny that Manitoba has performed reasonably well in the last 10 years. But really how much of that is to Doer's credit?

Consider the huge increase in transfer payments. What scares me is what will happen when those dollars are no longer available?

Consider construction in Manitoba. What scares me is just how much of that work is publicly funded. What happens when we stop building airports and flood-ways and museums and hydro facilities?

Imagine how well Manitoba might be positioned if we'd spent the last ten years developing Manitoba into a business friendly province that encouraged and fostered private investment and their jobs.

Imagine how well Manitoba might be had we developed a health care system that focused on health care rather than administration.

Imagine how well Manitoba might be positioned were our justice system focused on decreasing crime rather than coddling criminals and their well being.

Hugh?

Hugh?

Ummmm, Hugh?

Will someone please wake Hugh the frick up!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Imagine how well Manitoba might be positioned if we'd spent the last ten years developing Manitoba into a business friendly province that encouraged and fostered private investment and their jobs.

Imagine how well Manitoba might be had we developed a health care system that focused on health care rather than administration.

Imagine how well Manitoba might be positioned were our justice system focused on decreasing crime rather than coddling criminals and their well being.

All good points. What specifically should have been done and what should not have been done? Give us the details.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Its no small coincidence that Layton finished his meetings with Harper earlier this week.,

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Its doubtful its a coincidence that postle announced his retirement a few days ago.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL oh man thats funny

Names circulating as possible successors include Finance Minister Greg Selinger, Health Minister Theresa Oswald and even Bill Blaikie, the former federal NDP member of Parliament who won a seat in the Manitoba legislature in March.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:LOL oh man thats funny

Names circulating as possible successors include Finance Minister Greg Selinger, Health Minister Theresa Oswald and even Bill Blaikie, the former federal NDP member of Parliament who won a seat in the Manitoba legislature in March.

Others are suggesting Pink Lloyd lead the Liberals and Sam Katz lead the Tories! Perhaps Glen Murray leading the NDP would also be just as unlikely.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here is something interesting to chew on. Posted with permission.

By Jim Cotton - I never thought this day would come , but I am happy it did. Ginny Devine has never looked happier , too . She can finally move on with her life.

I want to touch on Gary Doer's legacy and bring everyone back to reality for a moment. Let's check out the last 10 years. What will Gary Doer be remembered for ?

We remember he was elected on a promise to fix hallway medicine in 6 months with $15 Million. He didn't get it done.

Then there were scandals, such as Hydra House, and the crocus fund ponzi scheme where Manitobans lost millions and Doer sweep it under the rug , refusing to spend a couple million on a inquiry to get to the bottom of the crime.

Under Doer, street gangs took a strong foothold in Winnipeg. We become the car theft and murder capital of Canada.

There was the disastrous tuition freeze that choked our post-secondary institutions of money.

There have been dozens of children who have been murdered while under CFS watch.

Gary Doer started promoting and advertising gambling to Manitobans. Addiction rates have soared under Doer's watch.

Doer has raised taxes by increasing fees on many services, such as adding PST to many services and increasing car registration for example.

Under Gary Doer , Manitoba Hydro has been driven into the ground , by poor decisions and risky practices. We have yet to see the crap hit the fan on that, but we will in 10-20 years. The debt has risen every year since Doer was in power, and he changed accounting methods to cover it up.

Then we have the Photo Radar scam, where Doer refused to refund thousands of illegally issued tickets. And don't forget Rebategate, where Doer and his party defrauded taxpayers and gave the head of Elections Manitoba a massive raise to cover it up.

And don't forget the 18 Emergency rooms he closed in rural Manitoba. There are many promises that have been announced and re announced that he has never completed. Will Gimli ever see a dialysis unit ?

Don't forget Brian Sinclair and the cover-up that followed.

I could go on and on , but when it comes to Gary Doer's legacy, there is more bad then good. I can't remember many good things he has done.

Banned cell phone use while driving is the best thing I think he did , but any monkey could do do that. OK, maybe expanding the Floodway, but he couldn't resist funneling money back to his union cronies when he forced unionization on all the workers. And he didn't even get that done, he ran out of money before all the bridges were replaced.

Just because Gary Doer served 2.5 terms as Premier does not make him great. Even his government press release announcing his resignation today couldn't really point out anything great that he has done.

Gary Doer will be remembered in the future as one of the worst premiers in Manitoba's history.

Posted by ManitobaPost.com at Thursday, August 27, 2009

Anonymous

Yes but it was Filmon who told us that gambiling was to save the rural hotel industry and would fund health care , funny how fast some forget that .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I forgot that because it was ten years ago. Funny how some will not let that go...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm hearing Doer will become Canada's next Ambassador to the US. Harper is making an announcement about a new Ambassadorial appointment today. Coincidence?

Anonymous

Heh...if Harper managed to get Doer to dump provincial politics, I may have underestimated his cunning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum