the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where would you like to retire to?

+8
Bartron
SMW
Electrician
eastsider
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Miz point
Triniman
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap38%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 38% [ 5 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap15%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap0%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap8%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap8%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap15%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Where would you like to retire to? Vote_lcap0%Where would you like to retire to? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Where would you like to retire to? Empty Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:42 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

A friend of mine is going to retire with his wife in Nova Scotia, where the winters are a tad warmer and the pace of life suits them.

2Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oaxaca, a 45 footer moored anywhere between the two tropics latitudes, Playa Cocos - Costa Rica, Saba, the Grenadines, Belize, Chiapas.....why limit oneself to one spot? Bounce around and rent apartments....cool.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

3Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:51 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ralph Brown Community Center, as soon as their new kitchen gets installed! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

4Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

If I had the money, I'd retire to one of those executive homes that borders along a nice golf course. I'd be fine with staying in MB. Few disasters here and lots of fresh water.

5Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:34 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Winnipeg. With a few winters down south.

6Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:54 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Born and raised in this frozen wasteland so its good enough to end it here Where would you like to retire to? Icon_biggrin My whole life has been geared to working, only 19 more years to go till pension kicks in.......then I can putter around with my old bicycles!

7Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

For me the best puttering around will be topside.....fishing rod in hand, bbq coals turning white hot.

8Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

...and stirring the WOK...
Where would you like to retire to? Icon_smile

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

9Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Cannot catch Wahoo and stir a wok at the same time.....other hand must be for holding beer or cold champers bottle.

10Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:13 am

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm in the process of putting in a bid for retirement property in Luxembourg. I've had my eye on a certain mixed-use block in Luxembourg City for a while now...

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

11Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can I run the brothel/bar/spa/bistro?

I am not joking btw.....

12Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think it would be cool to retire to Mexico, but one of the safer towns like Puerto Vallarta or something. All I would need is a hammock, a beach and a few Sol. Where would you like to retire to? Icon_cool

13Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If that is all you want Bartron there are far better and cheaper places than Vallarta......I know because Mexico es mi pais segunda y vida!!!

14Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:40 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

I only said Vallarta cause it's the only place in Mexico that I've been to!

15Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Well just outside of Vallarta, immediately north and south are several little beachside communities off of the main highway around the Bay of Banderas....I have explored all of them and the prices are still good, rentals can be had within sight of the bay/beach, big box shopping in Vallarta, great restaurants etc.....but the smaller beach towns are quieter and cheaper by far.....easy enuff to get around in your own car or by combis/buses or shared cabs....lots of seasonal expats and year-rounders......

16Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

That sounds like a perfect spot, peaceful and quiet but with all the amenities of Vallarta close by. Now I just gotta wait 35 years or so until retirement!

17Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:16 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Miz point wrote:Can I run the brothel/bar/spa/bistro?

I am not joking btw.....

If I "win" the building I'm looking at, there wil be enough room for all that and a few condos to boot. Not sure I'd risk a bath house though...

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

18Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Riverman

Riverman

Downtown Toronto to spend the non-working (or less working) portion of live living an urban lifestyle. In a nice apartment near a market with lots of fresh stuff for me to cook. And near a subway stop.

19Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

SMW wrote:
Miz point wrote:Can I run the brothel/bar/spa/bistro?

I am not joking btw.....

If I "win" the building I'm looking at, there wil be enough room for all that and a few condos to boot. Not sure I'd risk a bath house though...

bar and bistro then.....just make sure we have nice "decorations" occupying the bar stools?
Man, to run an intimate space with proper food, service, libations and with panache....like some of the tapas spots I have been to in Europe....not big, but always busy because the food rocks, the atmosphere conducive to business and socializing.....very warm and friendly but with personality.....one of my favourite restaurants that I have been invited to work at is owned by a crazy Israeli buddy of mine in a big old house in the mountains of Costa rica.....over the entrance is a sign that reads WELCOME TO MY WORLD....you do not like what he has to offer, there is the door.....depends of course on how you approach him.....if he knows you have good taste he will make accomodations.....he can be such a b1tch but he has a loyal following year-round....and that is a major accomplishmetn considering he is out in the boonies......

20Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Bartron wrote:That sounds like a perfect spot, peaceful and quiet but with all the amenities of Vallarta close by. Now I just gotta wait 35 years or so until retirement!

No you don't......start vacationing in the area....get yourself a copy of MOON Guides Puerto Vallarta because it comprehensively covers those little towns I hint at....for example Joni Mitchell has a place upriver from the bay at Boca de Tomatan.......little fishing village, great catches, cold beer, taquitos, bbq.....can hire a skiff to go upriver or take a larger power boat to go exploring untouched beaches nearby. That is the trip to do....do it for about two weeks if you are serious about ever renting long term or buying.....

21Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:32 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Miz point wrote:
Bartron wrote:That sounds like a perfect spot, peaceful and quiet but with all the amenities of Vallarta close by. Now I just gotta wait 35 years or so until retirement!

No you don't......start vacationing in the area....get yourself a copy of MOON Guides Puerto Vallarta because it comprehensively covers those little towns I hint at....for example Joni Mitchell has a place upriver from the bay at Boca de Tomatan.......little fishing village, great catches, cold beer, taquitos, bbq.....can hire a skiff to go upriver or take a larger power boat to go exploring untouched beaches nearby. That is the trip to do....do it for about two weeks if you are serious about ever renting long term or buying.....
When living in these quaint, but poor areas, don't you have to worry about the crime associated with the illegal drug industry?

22Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

These are not "poor" areas.....just because their houses may not look like ours??? BTW the drug trade will only affect you if you want it to.....I have been working/traveling throughout Mexico for over 18 years.....Trouble has never found me.....and I ain't looking for it.....I can get into more shite here.

23Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:47 am

Anonymous

You'd be nuts to go to Mexico nowadays. Everywhere in Mexico is dangerous.

24Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:03 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would like to retire to a combination my current house in the city and a chunk of land somewhere near the city (within an hours drive). A full section maybe four full sections even of about 50-75% treed.

25Where would you like to retire to? Empty Re: Where would you like to retire to? Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:You'd be nuts to go to Mexico nowadays. Everywhere in Mexico is dangerous.

Excuse me????? That is ignorant thinking, very American thinking, very uninformed thinking......Mexico is a great country with wonderful people......my many years of living, working and exploring extensively in that country supercede any ignorant and ill-informed remarks that could be produced here.

I am not calling you ignorant.....just calling out remarks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum