the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Driving, the bane of my existence...

+12
Triniman
Miz point
Riverman
tick
EdWin
rosencrentz
Time Lord
incognito
sun_wukong
AGEsAces
Electrician
grumpy old man
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This week driving in this burgh has been uber-annoying. There have been MULTIPLE instances of earth-movers driving on surface streets at WELL BELOW the speed limit. Should not these tractors be carted to their destination on a truck?

Then there are the slow drivers. Why must people take off from an intersection at a snails pace? Why must peeps travel below the speed limit? Why must the frikin slow drivers drive in the left lane?

/rant

2Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:28 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They're getting ready for the snow covered roads, be very careful, watch for pedestrians, kids could slip down a snowbank.
I KNOW WHY!!!!
Kids wont hook onto those peeps' bumpers (summer skateboards, winter boots) cause they go too slow for them. Rolling Eyes
Try driving and looking for a parking space here in Italy. THEN try ranting about traffic in Winnipeg. Arrow

Last edited by Electrician on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

3Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:30 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:This week driving in this burgh has been uber-annoying. There have been MULTIPLE instances of earth-movers driving on surface streets at WELL BELOW the speed limit. Should not these tractors be carted to their destination on a truck?

I've questioned this too...only because it's getting dark. My understanding of the road rules is that they have to have headlights, a license plate, and tail lights in order to be legal on the road.

I can understand if construction is occurring within a block or so...but I watched one front-end loader cruising down portage from Arlington straight across Portage & Main.

grumpy old man wrote:Then there are the slow drivers. Why must people take off from an intersection at a snails pace?

They call them "hypermilers" Very Happy And some idiot on the news has made it "cool" to be one by doing a news story about them. Instead of spinning the story to be morons who should not be driving because they are causing obstructions, they praised them for innovative ways of saving gas. Here's a way...walk!!! or ride a bicycle!!! but get off the road!

grumpy old man wrote:Why must peeps travel below the speed limit? Why must the frikin slow drivers drive in the left lane?

Well GOM...it IS a "limit"...meaning they are not "supposed" to drive faster than it. This has been discussed at-nauseum, and there's no good answer. I just attribute it to inexperienced drivers and hope that someday they might improve.

Slow drivers aren't a REAL nuisance...assuming everything else they do is ok. The drivers who need to be dealt with are those who:
1) can't read freakin' signs (like NO LEFT TURN (during certain hours), and NO STOPPING!!!)
2) can't seem to merge onto roads properly. when you turn you're REQUIRED to turn into the lane CLOSEST to where you turned from.
3) can't follow the lines on the street. the lines don't always go straight...but they are there for a reason.

And these are just the ones I encountered on my way to work THIS MORNING.

http://www.photage.ca

4Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 am

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

I'm sick of getting speeding tickets.... I cannot drive 55, man!

5Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:49 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

sun_wukong wrote:I'm sick of getting speeding tickets.... I cannot drive 55, man!

55? Where is it 55 in Winnipeg? Wink.

6Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am

Anonymous

He's adding in the 10% leeway that is allowed I believe.

7Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

55 mph = a lot of kms/hr.

I got caught numerous times speeding past construction workers. My fault for being heavy on the gas, but those jack@sses p!ss me off! One day one @ss was holding up traffic using a broom with a 50 foot handle to sweep NOTHING. After he was done all his buddies and him had a good chuckle. I had half a mind to stare angrily at him.

We need to increase residential speed limits to 150km/h ... school zones should be 15 km/h slower of course, we need to think of the children.

8Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:58 am

Anonymous

sun_wukong wrote:.... I had half a mind to stare angrily at him.

LOL...that broke me up!

9Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

210 over the Arlington bridge. Yeeeeehaaaaaaw!

10Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:

LOL...that broke me up!

What'd the OTHER half want to do? Very Happy.

11Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:00 am

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

They were rough looking workmen and I was in slow traffic. Last thing I need is a 50 foot broomstick handle busted in my @ss end.

JTF wrote:

LOL...that broke me up!

12Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am

Anonymous

Heh heh...didn't want to be a popsickle eh? lol

13Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

sun_wukong wrote:They were rough looking workmen.
Was that you JTF again playing jokes on the motorists? Tsk tsk, I thought the raise they gave you was with a promise you wouldn't do that anymore...

14Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Anonymous

Naw...I'm not rough looking...I'm pretty. No

15Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:03 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

sun_wukong wrote:I'm sick of getting speeding tickets.... I cannot drive 55, man!
Sammy Hagar, is that you?

Are you touring Winnipeg?

16Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

I see someone gets my obscure 80's song references! Shocked

incognito wrote:
Sammy Hagar, is that you?

Are you touring Winnipeg?

17Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:23 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

My advice to Winnipeg drivers:

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Sunday I pull up to a red light where I'm going to turn left (From a left turn lane with it's own signal)
Three cars ahead of me. light goes green, two cars turn left, Jeep in front of me sits there with the stunned driver continuing to look at and talk to the passenger.
I lean on my horn, Jeep driver figures it out and gestures to me a kind of a shrug and Oh well, we'll get the next light.

Excuse me !!! What the f do you think I'm burning here? It isn't just time. I'm pissing away 45 seconds worth of my hard earned gasoline.

Multiply this incident by millions of drivers everyday and you have vast quantities of fuel and time being wasted by inconsiderate dip shits like this Jeep driver.

Rant over for now...

http://www.jacsport.com

18Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

Moral of the story: gun it through yellow, proceed with caution through red.

Time Lord wrote:My advice to Winnipeg drivers:

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Sunday I pull up to a red light where I'm going to turn left (From a left turn lane with it's own signal)
Three cars ahead of me. light goes green, two cars turn left, Jeep in front of me sits there with the stunned driver continuing to look at and talk to the passenger.
I lean on my horn, Jeep driver figures it out and gestures to me a kind of a shrug and Oh well, we'll get the next light.

Excuse me !!! What the f do you think I'm burning here? It isn't just time. I'm pissing away 45 seconds worth of my hard earned gasoline.

Multiply this incident by millions of drivers everyday and you have vast quantities of fuel and time being wasted by inconsiderate dip shits like this Jeep driver.

Rant over for now...

19Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Anonymous

Why do we all have to go so fast , I remeber the days of no speed bumbs in parking lots . Gee is the clue we drive to fast and dumb .

20Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Like Mohandas Gandhi said:

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

21Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:06 am

Anonymous

The same goe,s for people who think that live should happen now they come into the store and think that their install will happen now. Since when are they the only person on the planet , and what makes us this way. Spoiled and the false believe you are important all of us are specks of dog do and we are miniscule in the scheme of things , get over it people .
These ones that think the world spins around their head really need a reality check.

22Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:38 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What is really disgusting is that the complainers don't realize that they have nowhere to go 2 minutes earlier, and they should just check themselves into rehab for psycological re-training, or they can ask me for help, as I believe that I have a psycology major, from 1929.

http://www.elansofas.com

23Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:44 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Oh but I do have places to go. I am very important (just ask me) and I need to get "there" as fast as legally permissible (or as fast as I can get away with).

For example, I must go for brekkie soon. God help ANYONE that gets between me and food.

24Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Just take the new LRT to where you wanna go. Simple.

25Driving, the bane of my existence... Empty Re: Driving, the bane of my existence... Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:Just take the new LRT to where you wanna go. Simple.

You must be talking about Hamilton, cause Winnipeg ain't gettin no LRT anytime soon, if ever. The best you can do is buses.

I"m sure you are being sarcastic though Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum