the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cellphone Ban While Driving

+5
LivingDead
Deank
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should We Ban Cells While drivinge

Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_lcap62%Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_rcap 62% [ 8 ]
Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_lcap31%Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]
Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_lcap7%Cellphone Ban While Driving Vote_rcap 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 am

Anonymous

With all of the debate and more provinces doing it should Manitoba, sorry could not seem to get the cursor to get rid of the e in the title of the poll.

2Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Fixed it...

3Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Did everybody hear me?

Enough with the stupid laws already...there are laws in place which cover using a cell phone while driving, and putting on makeup, and eating a big mac, and playing with the radio.

The laws just aren't enforced unless an incident actually occurs...so what makes anyone think the "new" law will be enforced? Especially with Doer claiming there "may be" jail time attached? We can't keep car THIEVES in jail...now we're going to lock up someone ordering dinner on their way home?

The short of it is...yes, there are idiots out there who are stupid...and unfortunately, no matter HOW many laws are created...there will ALWAYS be those idiots and ALWAYS be accidents on the roads. So stop harassing the 90%+ of drivers by creating useless laws that only apply to a small minority of idiots.

http://www.photage.ca

4Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 am

Anonymous

Aren't the laws designed for these idiots specifically?

5Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:34 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

56% of auto drivers are using their cell phones while driving!

Now that is scary!

http://www.elansofas.com

6Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Aren't the laws designed for these idiots specifically?

What laws? the ones that were already made? or the new ones?

The new ones are because everyone wants to point fingers...and "blame" someone.

Cell phones are a relatively new phenomenon, and there will always be issues with them...the same as drive-thru's.

Personally, I think the government is pushing this ban, because the phone companies won't defend it...and if they can get one ban out there, they can go after the drive-thru companies...which they've wanted to shut down for a couple generations now...but waited too long and now don't have enough power.

7Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 am

Anonymous

It is a distraction and that is what they are trying to eliminate , I have seen to many people who are doing far to many things other then driving as it is . If you want or require the phone that much in your life pull over to the side of the road and do it . Hands free should very least be mandatory, after the majority of drivers are not watching the road as good as they should.

8Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

But that's the point. If it's sooo much of a distraction, the cops would be pulling people over NOW...because the law is already in place...but they're not....why? because there's more important things to deal with!!!

Yes, it's a distraction...yes...it's annoying to get near an idiot yapping on the phone, smoking a cigarette while chugging a coffee...but have they actually CAUSED an accident? No...they haven't? Will they? Probably at some point...but deal with them THEN.

I've been at intersections where some moron is yapping away, not paying attention, and I'll give my horn a honk to wake them up. Other morons will weave back and forth while talking because they're unable to check their mirrors without craning their head around the hand holding the phone... a good solid honk at them usually puts them back on course...and with any luck...the person on the other end of the line will tell the idiot to hang up the phone.

What we (and I'll say this about every government out there) DON'T need...is more USELESS laws that are created on the "pretense" of Safety...which, in fact, are nothing more than guises to steal more money and harass more people.

I personally rarely use my cell phone while driving. On the rare occasion someone calls me or I need to make a call...I try to do any dialing or answering at a red light, or in light/no traffic. My wife has even gotten upset because she's been with me when my phone rings and I say "that's what voicemail is for". I have a "handsfree" unit for my phone, but don't always remember to bring it, and/or charge it...so it's not always available. But I know when I pickup my cell phone when driving that I may be distracted...the same as when my three-year-old is throwing a tantrum in the back seat...or my dog in the back of the van has crapped all over the floor (actually that one is much worse).

Will another law deter me from answering my phone? Probably not. Will it make me a better driver? NO!!! Will it make me a safer driver? NO!!! Will it STEAL money from me should I answer a call in front of an over-zealous power-hungry cop? Absolutely. Will it really stop the morons who are yapping on the phones all the time and have NO respect for the others on the road? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

9Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Exactly. The law exists. Apply the law as it stands. Heck cops could have legitimate reasons to be at Tim Hortons then.

10Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 am

Anonymous

And we know where you stand agesaces Laughing

11Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Pavolo wrote:And we know where you stand agesaces Laughing

I usually sit...while going through the drive-thru for my Extra-Large-Triple-Triple Very Happy.

12Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:29 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

As long as you dont drink it while driving thats fine!

13Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:As long as you dont drink it while driving thats fine!

I used to...but now with the ice on the road...I tend to spill most of it Wink.

14Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

All they need to do is install digital/cellular jamming devices in cars. Devices just strong enough to jam digital transmissions in a 3 to 4 foot radius. These could be factory installed by the automakers, or MPI could have a program like its immobilizer program.

Then you need not worry about people text messaging or talking on the phone while driving.

But then how do we stop women from applying makeup while driving, or people from reading the newspaper(I have actually witnessed this)while driving. Or worse. eating and driving, a cause of many many accidents ( True Story )

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

15Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

Anonymous

By banning morons from being on the street , I think hands free is best but it is the talking and the fact that you are, making you somewhat divided attention wise. Just wanted to judge the feelings and will clearly note AGEsAces is againsnt it .

16Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Pavolo wrote:By banning morons from being on the street , I think hands free is best but it is the talking and the fact that you are, making you somewhat divided attention wise. Just wanted to judge the feelings and will clearly note AGEsAces is againsnt it .

Using hands free while driving is just like talking to your passenger. If you cant drive and carry on a conversation then you have no business driving.

I use my hands free headset with my cell phone wile I drive.

17Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Anonymous

I am neither for or against it I think that hands free is the safest and that should be mandatory . Yes I talk to passenger too , the fools who do their makeup and drive by the GPS instead of watching the road are the ones who worry me .

18Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:03 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What safety risk does a GPS pose? It seems to me that a GPS introduces a higher safety measure. Instead of looking for landmarks (street signs) just follow the directions of a GPS...

19Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:24 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

The common theme in all these posts seems to be bad driving. 

So might as well strike at the root of the problem and ban driving altogether.et voila... no more accidents

20Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Except, I'm not a bad driver. It is everybody else. Very Happy

21Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Except, I'm not a bad driver. It is everybody else. Very Happy
Especially all those distracted drivers, all going the wrong way! Suspect

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

22Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Anonymous

Or the ones who think that the car knows where it is going.

23Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Or like the sign in the middle of the road showing to hit the sign and the curb on the right side and not on the left side... scratch drunken

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

24Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:07 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:What safety risk does a GPS pose? It seems to me that a GPS introduces a higher safety measure. Instead of looking for landmarks (street signs) just follow the directions of a GPS...

Then you get those people who watch the GPS screen like it was a video game. All focus and attention is on the GPS and not on the road and vehicles around.

25Cellphone Ban While Driving Empty Re: Cellphone Ban While Driving Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yea, I suppose there is that. Probably a little worse than fiddling with the radio while tuning to a station. We should just ban stupid, moronic drivers.

Let us brilliant, undistractable drivers alone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum