the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Manitoba confused?

+2
AGEsAces
Freeman
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm

AGEsAces

I guess I'm confused then.

Or...been an American too long Smile).

Down there...I could vote for a different person/party for any office. The only exception is when someone is running with a "running mate" like President/Vice President.

But I could certainly choose a city councilor who was from one party, and a mayor from another, and a state senator from another, and a state representative from another, and a governor from yet another. MOST of the votes would be wasted though, since there really only two viable parties. MOST of the "independent" parties get an office because nobody runs against them...or because the incumbent was SOOOO bad, everyone is just voting against another term.

http://www.photage.ca

27Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Anonymous

You make it seem easy compared to an American explaining it to me once.

28Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Well the last Liberal one I was at there was a fair amount, mind you they had money in those days.

They also had a reason to drink.

29Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:I guess I'm confused then.

Or...been an American too long Smile).

Down there...I could vote for a different person/party for any office. The only exception is when someone is running with a "running mate" like President/Vice President.

But I could certainly choose a city councilor who was from one party, and a mayor from another, and a state senator from another, and a state representative from another, and a governor from yet another. MOST of the votes would be wasted though, since there really only two viable parties. MOST of the "independent" parties get an office because nobody runs against them...or because the incumbent was SOOOO bad, everyone is just voting against another term.

You point out the big difference between Canada and the US. The US has 2 parties. In Canada, we let everyone who thinks they have a better mousetrap create a political party and then somehow, all of us are supposed to support them. The Greens never got a single seat....again, so why should we recognize them as a party. They took a shot and lost.

30Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:You point out the big difference between Canada and the US. The US has 2 parties. In Canada, we let everyone who thinks they have a better mousetrap create a political party and then somehow, all of us are supposed to support them. The Greens never got a single seat....again, so why should we recognize them as a party. They took a shot and lost.

Actually...you're wrong there.

The US has just as many (if not more) parties than Canada.

Just that most of them never get anywhere.

You can look at the Libertarian Party as a viable opponent though...they've been governors in several states, and have a few seats in Congress.

Down there you still have the Green Party, the Communist Party, the Nazi Party. Throughout American history there have been hundreds of various parties. Even one that was an "Anti Mason Party" and an "AntiChinese Party".

The only rule for becoming a party in the US is getting enough people to sign your petition/application...and paying the fees for registration.

31Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So why don't we hear more about the other parties in the US?

32Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:08 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:So why don't we hear more about the other parties in the US?

Because to run in an election, your Party must sign even MORE papers to qualify you to get "on the ballot". Most the parties aren't big enough to be any competition.

US Political Parties

Here's a list of the current parties, when they started, and what their platform is.

I didn't count them...but rough estimate of about 50 or so.

33Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Impressive list. So, there is a mechanism to keep them off the ballot. I have no problem with forming parties (Party all you want is my motto), just don't waste my time and my tax dollars.

34Is Manitoba confused? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:39 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:Impressive list. So, there is a mechanism to keep them off the ballot. I have no problem with forming parties (Party all you want is my motto), just don't waste my time and my tax dollars.

Yeah...just a formality of keeping them off really.

The party can form, but to get a candidate on the ballot they have to get a certain number of signatures on a petition. Depending on the size of the election (ie. local, state, federal) determines the number of signature required.

They can also campaign on a "write-in" vote, where someone can write the name of their candidate in.

I haven't looked it up recently, but it used to be that Mickey Mouse would win 3% of the vote in Florida State elections from write-ins.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum