the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Manitoba confused?

+2
AGEsAces
Freeman
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is Manitoba confused? Empty Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't get it. There are 14 federal ridings in Manitoba and 9 of them are represented by Conservatives. So how the hell do we end up with an NDP government for the province? Someone please explain?

2Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Probably the same way you get a Conservative Prime Minister and a Liberal Parliament.

Voters don't want "too much power" in the hands of any one party Smile)

http://www.photage.ca

3Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 am

Anonymous

AGEsAces wrote:Probably the same way you get a Conservative Prime Minister and a Liberal Parliament.

Liberal Parliament?? What do you mean by this?

4Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:42 am

Anonymous

Think we need a system where western Canada counts for more and has a bigger say in things . The whole seat thing needs to be really looked at, some of Quebecs need to be enlarged as some of them are very small in Montreal .

5Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:I don't get it. There are 14 federal ridings in Manitoba and 9 of them are represented by Conservatives. So how the hell do we end up with an NDP government for the province? Someone please explain?

its all about the leader, I am not certain if anyone even listens to the candidates any more, or even reviews a parties platform or history. They vote the leader in, and the leader of the prov NDP is "better" then the leader of the prov conservatives.

6Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:Probably the same way you get a Conservative Prime Minister and a Liberal Parliament.

Liberal Parliament?? What do you mean by this?

I mean...why would a country vote in a Conservative Prime Minister...but not give him a Parliament he can work with?

7Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

Anonymous

Well, I cannot understand the logic behind people saying the we choose to elect a minority government.

No one can predict a minority government....it's just a result of the voting.

8Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:21 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I just wish we actually voted for our leader and our parliment seperately.

9Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 am

Anonymous

I think we actually do.

IMHO, people that say they vote for their local candidate and independant of the party, leader, etc, are being disengenuous. How can one seperate the leader from the candidate?

I really do think that people look at the big picture and vote for the party, and very, very rarely vote for their local candidate in isolation.

10Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Back to the question posed by this thread...I think Manitoban's vote NDP to extract goodies from the Feds, but realize an NDP government at the national level would be fiscally unsustainable.

11Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

No I mean there should be completely seperate votes for the leader and the individual local MP. Sort of like the presidential elections in the states.. but just not so freakin confusing.

12Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 am

Anonymous

We kinda' do that in a roundabout way though.

We elect our party leaders and then elect the party.

Our system is too different to vote directly for PM and then for a governing party.

13Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but WE dont eactually elect the party leaders do we?

14Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:06 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

You have to become a card carrying member of the party to vote for the leader.

15Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly...adn you have to pay for that right. so WE dont elect any of the party leaders.

16Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:57 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

incognito wrote:You have to become a card carrying member of the party to vote for the leader.

How so? You vote for the leader's representative in your riding, which indicates your vote for the leader. Is there another process I am unaware of?

17Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:but WE dont eactually elect the party leaders do we?

Ah, I just figured out what you guys are talking about.

Neer mind.

18Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Interesting discussion. So the idea is to somehow vote for the leader separate from the representatives.....you mean like voting for the City Councillor for your area, but voting separately for the Mayor. So hows that working for some of you?

19Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

LOL!

Maybe don't use Winnipeg as the example of this model of voting!

20Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Anonymous

Dean become a member of the party and you go to the convention to vote for the leader.

21Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Me? Become a member of a party? Thats crazy talk.

22Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK has enough trouble at a house party, let alone a political party. Laughing

23Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah they never have enough booze at house parties any more.

24Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Anonymous

Well the last Liberal one I was at there was a fair amount, mind you they had money in those days.

25Is Manitoba confused? Empty Re: Is Manitoba confused? Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I guess I'm confused then.

Or...been an American too long Smile).

Down there...I could vote for a different person/party for any office. The only exception is when someone is running with a "running mate" like President/Vice President.

But I could certainly choose a city councilor who was from one party, and a mayor from another, and a state senator from another, and a state representative from another, and a governor from yet another. MOST of the votes would be wasted though, since there really only two viable parties. MOST of the "independent" parties get an office because nobody runs against them...or because the incumbent was SOOOO bad, everyone is just voting against another term.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum