the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu

+10
casualchris
FlyingRat
AGEsAces
Miz point
Freeman
Triniman
rosencrentz
Deank
grumpy old man
Electrician
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have driven through Mexico City (Distrito Federale) and it took over four hours to do so and that was on a Sunday. Some estimates put the unofficial population at closer to 30 million....either way that city is a disaster in teh making. the pollution alone would be enough to breed any viral mutation. It's elevation makes one more prone to radiation from the sun. The soupy air that folks have to breathe.....the last time I was there I was sick within the day and that was in fall 0f 2007, a time of year when the air is cooler and there are more breezes.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

52H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah, I'd heard 30 million as well. I spent a week in Mexico City once about 6-7 years ago. The pollution was incredible. The city is in a valley and the pollution acts as a lid.

Amazing city but I'd hate to live there.

53H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oo and lets not forget... 7 CONFIRMED deaths.. the 150.. well that number is only thoughts of maybe they died from this
http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-swine-flu-deaths-not-152-says-who-20090429-aml1.html

54H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

someone has raised the threat level to 5 or global pandemic

The media for some reason does not know who is raising the level
WHO raises flu alert level to phase 5?
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/world/2009/04/29/9294081.html

55H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:44 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

The who? H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Logo_target

56H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Friggin' Townsend....that pervo!

57H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I am curious at the comments I'm reading on the Winnipeg Free Press site that waffle between indignation (media creating alarmist non event) and indifference (nothing to worry about).

Is the media over-hyping this? Should we be concerned?

58H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Better all stay indoors, put on our masks and not breathe on anyone. Shopping at Walmart, Safeway, Superstore and the likes will enable you to catch the swine flu because you never know if the person you just passed by just got home from Mexico 2 days ago. My seasonal allergies have awakened again for another full round of cold/flu like symptoms, sneezing, coughing and the likes so I guess I could play this up and stay home for a month because of it.
Let's get real here, there is a flu strain that we all come in contact with every winter and we survive so please get on with life.

59H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:25 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I stopped breathing about 3 years ago. Seems to be working fine for me.

60H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I'm actually quite offended by the media reporting.

Many of the latest news "flashes" were harping on the "1st US Death". Which turns out...they are lying...sort of.

Yes, a death occurred IN the US...but it wasn't an American who died...it was a Mexican, who had crossed the border (sadly it was also a child).

No...it doesn't diminish the fact there is concern that people are dying from it...but it certainly causes question as to the credibility and sensationalism of the media-at-large.

http://www.photage.ca

61H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and it was a child who already had underlying health problem.. christ one article about the unfortunate soul I was reading they were arguing about if he was 22 or 23 months old and why there would be a descrepency....

asshats.

62H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:52 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Article in the Free Press has a headline that reads "Why is virus killing only Mexicans?" What a bunch of knobs, don't they know its the "Mexican flu"? Duh?

63H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am

helgihg

helgihg

casualchris wrote:It's my opinion that its human engineered, news isn't saying much about that.

Whaaat? Wink You honestly think if someone did this on purpose, it wouldn't kill more people? 1.600 infected and 100 dead in Mexico; that's a 1/16 kill ratio. You'd do more damage with a well placed hand grenade or anthrax. Doesn't sound like the Grand Conspiracy's greatest hit to me.

64H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Swine flu is believed to be a new strain that combines bird, swine and common human influenza. It has rapidly brought Mexico to a virtual standstill and made its way around the world forcing governments to step up efforts to halt the spread."

Actually that is 100% incorrect. Swine Flu has NOT brought Mexico to a virtual standstill. Mass hysteria from over zealous media has.

65H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 am

helgihg

helgihg

Personally, I just cannot bring myself to be worried over this. The death ratio is relatively low, and the strain is severely diminished everywhere outside of Mexico.

Honestly, I'd have guessed more than a 100 people died in Mexico from regular flu! I'm much more scared of the common pneumonia than either bird flu or swine flu.

Still, it's nice to see that there are plans in case of a pandemic.

66H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Its almost like the WHO and governments have latched on to this to test the Pandemic system. To see if they can now properly respond since the disaster that almost happened with SARS.

67H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

68H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They still don't know what killed 142 of the 150 people so far in Mexico... THAT's the scary part!

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

69H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 8:22 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How bad could the flu get?

Up to half the population could become ill, with between 11,000 and 58,000 deaths

Outbreaks and epidemics of influenza tend to happen in the winter months

epidemiologists think it likely that the disease will disappear in Canada in the coming weeks, But the fact remains the source of the new virus is not yet known.

http://www.elansofas.com

70H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 8:31 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Back in the spring of 1999 when I was covering the newest Balkan conflict I came down with one of the worst flu's ever....those of us in the Press Corps of course called it the Balkan flu....it hit hard and fast and we believed, and were proven correct later, that the bug developed its strength in the swelling refugee camps. The conditions for development were perfect.....hot days, cold nights, mass movement of people, crowded living conditions.....

I had been at a press conference and within a half hour my colleagues noticed my face had gone very pale and i was growing listless and disoriented.....within the hour they took me back to my room, got me under the blankets and made sure my bed stand had two big bottles of mineral water, aspirins and flu pills.....I passed out and slept for two days!!! I was in and out of delirium and only got out of bed to make water which was only once or twice if memory serves correct as I was too weak......dehydration could have killed me but I took small sips of water.....

When I finally got up I felt rested and was able to eat and function normally....this flu made the rounds in less than two weeks and covered a swath of territory from Albania to kosovo, macedonia and Serbia.....not sure if it had spread down to Greece but it moved fast and it did kill several folks....

71H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 8:47 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow, sounds like you have gotten out of Winnipeg!
My face is pale, am disoriented, listless and been accused of delirium, but have been that way for about 6 years! lol
Apparently my symptoms have gotten visibly worse since the thumbs down button has disappeared!

72H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Take up alcohol abuse....i believe that was discussed on another thread....heheheh

73H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 9:28 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Shouldn't this thread be renamed to the H1N1 flu?

74H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 10:27 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The good folks south of the border (some of them) are already calling the Fat Limbaugh types and demanding the border be closed with Mexico.....maybe they need those laser beams now? Zap Zap Pow!!! :fightgun:

75H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Media Madness- They have even more of nothing to do than I have.
I would be more concerned that all the computers will crash in 2010, 10 years after we were warned about the "possible" millenium crash.
Oh yes and global warming is going to raise the average temperature of Canada 2-6 degrees! Anyone believe that? And then i would say, great news for Canada!
Why would our politicians spend money to keep Canada cold?

76H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu - Page 3 Empty Re: H1N1 Mexican Pork & Beans Swine Flu Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Closing the borders is soooo stupid in this day and age of millions of people flying around the world everyday. Whats next putting everyone that has come into contact with anyone who went to Mexico into a large pit and killing them?

The VIRUS is no longer JUST in Mexico. Shutting boarders will do nothing. NOTHING at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum