the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

potholes on new resurfaced street

+3
Deank
Triniman
grumpy old man
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1potholes on new resurfaced street Empty potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:49 am

Anonymous

Our street was re-surfaced a couple three years ago.

Today I noticed a section of pothole-like damage already.

WTF is the city doing about crap workmanship you may ask? NOTHING.

Are we getting our money's worth from our bureaucrats' overview of street work? NOPE imho anyway.

I'm in the process of contacting the city to complain....been on hold with the spectacular 311 system for 25 minutes now....

I think I have just come face-to-face with the reality of this town under Katz's administration....

MIC-KEY-MOUSEEEEE!

PS. Finally got a live person...took my workmanship complaint. Poor girl seemed run-ragged.

That's my beef for taday.....Smile

2potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't understand how in this day and age we've not developed materials that will hold up under our extreme weather conditions.

Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and invest much more heavily on new roads and road repair... Sort of a "pay me now - pay me later" scenario.

3potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:07 am

Anonymous

I think that we have to make sure that work is done properly before we invest in new technology.

From the looks of it, the road surface wasn't prepared properly in this section (an overlap) and has just "unbonded".

4potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:07 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I don't understand how in this day and age we've not developed materials that will hold up under our extreme weather conditions.

Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and invest much more heavily on new roads and road repair... Sort of a "pay me now - pay me later" scenario.
Now you're talking. Yet another reason why fiivoulous expenditures like the Rights Museum should be considered only after we have taken care of the customers's (read: tax payers) infrastructure needs BEFORE they become more expensive. Let's get our priorities straight.

5potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:08 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

At least you're consistent man.

6potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:11 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:I think that we have to make sure that work is done properly before we invest in new technology.

From the looks of it, the road surface wasn't prepared properly in this section (an overlap) and has just "unbonded".

yup thats pretty much one of the problems.... potholes usually only happen at joints and seams. The only real way around them is to have a machine large enough to do curb to curb coverage. At least they have finally started to realize this business of pouring cements slabs in managable sections and then just leaving them like that is more then a little crazy...

7potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

Anonymous

They re-surfaced our street with an asphalt overlay using one of those continual-feed machines. However, where one lap meets another in one area, the surface wasn't cleaned and preped properly, causing the new surface to disengage from the old.

8potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:59 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

That's the problem with doing a "renewal" rather than a total reconstruction. If there's any issue with the asphalt overlay not bonding properly (for whatever reason) you end up with these problems. Considering a "renewal" is only meant to last 5 years, it is IMHO a complete waste of time and money.

The only reason they city has changed course and does so many of these so called renewals is because the cost is a fraction of the cost of a total reconstruction. They can do far more streets with the same budget and give the illusion of "fixing" more streets in a given season. Unfortuantely they dont last and must be re-done over, and over again.

9potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:59 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup at all the seems and joints.
There exists machines large enough to do 4 lanes at once... and they can do 3KMs of road in 8hours.

fix the streets once now at a very high price and do it properly? Or continue to do the patchwork job we do, because it costs less now?

10potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:27 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

A great example of a street repair done properly (with exceptions of course) would be the along Water and Pioneer. When they tore out the old road, and lay a new foundation of crushed limestone, and then put in a cement or concrete roadway on top. It's been a few years now...it looks great, drives great and hasn't a single pothole along the whole way.

What a novel idea!

The only problem, is it too the entire summer to do it and I bet it cost a small fortune. However, no frost heaving, and no potholes, means no asphalt patching since. To me that sounds like one of those Pay me now, or pay me later things that GOM was talking about.

11potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

A further thought....if it cost more, and did a better job to tear out the roadway, lay a new foundation and used cement or concrete for the surface...any everyone could agree that that this was the way to go....the drawback is still a very long time frame....wouldn't that be a great incentive to get street repairs to continue into the evenings so they are finished faster?

I for one, could live with the noise if I knew the work was being done properly, and would be finished as soon as possible. Instead of dragging on for the entire non snow/bitter cold weather period.

Anyone else?

12potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

21 hour per day street repair would be awesome. ( 1.5 hours off during each rush hour period )

13potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Incentive based contracts?

Finsh copnstruction by "X" date and get "X" sum of money....for each day/week over due, "X" percent is removed from the dollar amount paid?

14potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Drive around in North Dakota in the spring, the roads there don't crumble and fall apart. I'm pretty sure they get the same weather extremes we do.

15potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup... but also.. for each day finished ahead of time a percentage is given ..

16potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:yup... but also.. for each day finished ahead of time a percentage is given ..

Absolutely! If you can do the job properly, with the right materials and come in under the time frame, that's great for everyone.

And take down the construction signs when your not doing any work, especially when the road is perfectly fine to drive on. Causes needless congestion! I don't care if you'll be working on that roadway in a week or two...set up the barricades the night before if you have to. Not days/weeks ahead of time.
sunny

17potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

Geeze, the sandbox has all the answers. Why won't those fricking bureaucrats listen?

18potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Because the new 2010 mayor has not ordered them to listen yet.

19potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do we know who that is yet? I've heard of no name that compels me as yet. I'm afeared we'll be stuck with Shammy for another term.

20potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont think sam will want to run again. Not sure about that though.

21potholes on new resurfaced street Empty Re: potholes on new resurfaced street Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

He keeps saying his promise was to only run for two FULL terms, since the first term was not a full term, it doesn't count.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum