the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Potholes

+2
Deank
Mantha
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Potholes Empty Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 am

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Cheese and Rice! In today's weekly freep article about the return of the Jets, someone in the comments section is complaining that money would be better spent fixing potholes.

Are they really that bad?

I've been driving in this great city since 1993. I've hit the occasional rough spot in the road, but never anything that killed my car or forced me to get anything fixed related to my wheels that was outside of a normal replacement schedule. I've never woken up to find the street has swallowed my car into a massive sinkhole.

St. James Street is the only area of the city where I've noticed some work needed to be done, and even then it's nowhere near as bumpy as some of the gravel roads I learned to drive on in Dauphin.

What am I doing wrong? How is it that I notice people complaining about potholes more than I do the potholes themselves?

Secondly, why is it that people can't realize that if we fixed EVERY dent in the road, we'd probably have no money left!

No Jets! We need money for potholes!
No Helicopters! We need money for potholes!
No Pothole Fixing! We need money for potho-- oh...

End of rant. Sorry people. Complaining about complainers is futile, but I'm fed up with people who can't see past the hood of their car.

Are the potholes really that bad?

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

2Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

there are some places that are fairly bad... but not so much that our roads our "crumbling" as some people would have us believe

3Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I am curious why people are assuming that public money is going towards the return of NHL hockey.
I always love how the media rounds up the usual suspects that are always against ANYTHING that is being done or contemplaeted and their reply is ALWAYS "Fix the roads first"

4Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

In all fairness.....

Have ya driven north on Pembina lately?

There are some that would be annoying if driving, but outright dangerous when biking.

One in particular just south of confusion corner - if you hit it on a bike, your front wheel is done and you are flying into traffic.Mind you, spend the money on dedicated bike infrastructure and I won't care about potholes Very Happy

But......

Since it is a private group that is looking to buy the team, what the hell does that have to do with fixing potholes?

How about this ? Spend more fixing potholes and less on redundant LRT studies.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

5Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The curb lane on north-bound Pembina is bad. Not so much potholes though as very uneven surface. Taylor is bad. As is Marion. But on average, potholes aren't that big a deal.

What I'd like to see is us fixing the roads properly before throwing a whack of money each year with the usual temporary fixes on the same sections...

6Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

The southbound median lanes on Pembina after the Jubilee overpass have huge chunks missing from the wide concrete curbs that get smashed by the snow plows. I am sure they will be fixing them again this summer, or patching them. I have always wondered what would happen if they did away with the curbs

7Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Drive west down Dugald road from Plessis to Lagimodiere.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

8Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

USApegger wrote:The southbound median lanes on Pembina after the Jubilee overpass have huge chunks missing from the wide concrete curbs that get smashed by the snow plows. I am sure they will be fixing them again this summer, or patching them. I have always wondered what would happen if they did away with the curbs
I've often wondered why they use high curbs. It must make snow removal a pain.

In Toronto the curbs are sloped. It seems to me that would make snow removal easier and more difficult to destroy the curbs with the snow removal equipment.

Maybe this is another case of "this is the way we've always done it" mentality.

9Potholes Empty Re: Potholes Sat May 08, 2010 9:02 am

Anonymous

Mantha. You've got to get out more. Smile

The main streets have been looked after reasonably well (kinda'), but most other streets are very, very bad....patched patches in many cases.

I have an issue with the way the city does repairs. Imo, they suck at it.

A couple of years ago, they did an overlay to my street. The following spring a 8' x 1' piece of the overlay (less than an inch thick I might add) came off. I called to complain and they sent someone out to do a repair.

They fixed half of it and left the other half. They haven't come back and it's been a year.

Why would you fix half a fricken pothole???

Oh....and the relationship between potholes and hockey in this province....the government funds both here.
A CBC report says Chipman and Thomson will get financial help from the Manitoba government for the purchase price, which is said to be US$165 million.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/deal-to-keep-coyotes-in-desert-fluid-93182949.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum