the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why not privitize the school system?

+6
rosencrentz
Electrician
grumpy old man
AdamX
Deank
Triniman
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Why not privitize the school system? Empty Why not privitize the school system? Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Teachers would earn bonuses for results. The worst teachers would get fired.

Your taxes would be cut but you would pay for each kid you had in school.

Private companies would also eliminate tons of meaningless bureaucratic jobs.

Good idea?

2Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the whole reason for a public school system is to make sure everyone, no matter how poor, was still somewhat educated. You think its bad now, try when 3 generations of people dont even know how to tie shoes, let alone tell time.

3Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:40 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

The school systems caters to mediocrity. You can't fire lousy teachers nor reward the best ones due to unions. People with money opt out of the public school system for a reason.

4Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:16 am

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

the schools could take bets on cage matches in the locker rooms to make some extra cash!

http://www.cakefarter.com

5Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Triniman wrote:The school systems caters to mediocrity. You can't fire lousy teachers nor reward the best ones due to unions. People with money opt out of the public school system for a reason.

heh obama is proposing just that.. rewarding the teachers for increased pupil performance....its not sitting well Smile

6Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 am

Anonymous

I had a grade 12 history teacher (Mr. MacFarlane) that did nothing but read from Cole's Notes every single day. He had a year or two to go to retirement and they just let him continue working.

That was almost 50 years ago, but I bet there are plenty of guys just like him around today.

I'm not sure we have to privatize the system, but changes sure are required....and required very quickly.

However, "education" is a sacred cow, that we have to bend over for in the minds of the commie bastards that are looking after the system.

You are said to be against education if you question how they spend money...we are told to bend over every time salaries are considered.. everytime more "superintendents" are hired.

We do have to stop the madness...and taking away their taxing powers is the first step.

7Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:39 am

Anonymous

Deank wrote:the whole reason for a public school system is to make sure everyone, no matter how poor, was still somewhat educated. You think its bad now, try when 3 generations of people dont even know how to tie shoes, let alone tell time.

My parents taught me maybe more parents should stand up and do their job ? Well yes the system is not perfect neither are parents , who abducate their job all the time . it is time for them to spend more time with the kids and less climbing the ladder to their dreams .

8Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:56 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I was raised by a single mom. I can assure you she was not "climbing any ladder". She was just trying to keep four kids fed and clothed.

Schools are put in place to educate our children. Parents need to be involved, but the school system that we pay for with our taxes has the burden of doink the edumacatin.

9Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:24 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Teachers are paid to teach, not to sit at their desk and wait until it's time to go home at the end of the work day. If they don't like the pay, then they can always look elsewhere for a better job.
The students' behavior has also changed dramatically over the years, and it is getting harder and harder to control more and more troublemakers...
You gotta give students the best teachers available on the market, the ones that are able to keep the students involved and interested in their studies, and not the old system yard stick smackers who just b*tched at anyone just because they woke up stupid that morning.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

10Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:05 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Does anyone have any data on the cost of public school versus private school?
That would be interesting! The private school certainly has the better educated kids, but is it more or less expensive per kid??
The public school I would guess has a lot more bureaucracy, with a lot less learning as the bonus!

http://www.elansofas.com

11Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:
Deank wrote:the whole reason for a public school system is to make sure everyone, no matter how poor, was still somewhat educated. You think its bad now, try when 3 generations of people dont even know how to tie shoes, let alone tell time.

My parents taught me maybe more parents should stand up and do their job ? Well yes the system is not perfect neither are parents , who abducate their job all the time . it is time for them to spend more time with the kids and less climbing the ladder to their dreams .

LOL I'm sure most parents work because they have to to survive. It's probably a small percentage that are "climbing ladders".

12Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The private school certainly has the better educated kids,"

phht

13Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:06 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Does anyone have any data on the cost of public school versus private school?
That would be interesting!
Rosie, In the late 1980's the provincial government changed the way private schools were funded. Private schools now receive 80% of what the public school system receives (at one time it was nothing). So if a public school receives 1000/child, a private school will receive 800/child (these figures are just examples). BUT private schools also have the ability to charge per child attending the school anywhere from 3500/year to 6000/year depending on the school and the program. The public school does not have that option yet they still do produce some of the best and brightest in the province. My opinion of this is if the parents can afford to send their children to private school let them pay for it and the tax dollars should be wholly put towards the public school system. I don't much like the fact that I am paying my hard earned tax dollars and do not even have the opportunity for my kids to go to private school because we can't afford it.

14Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Slippery slope though holly. I'm surprised the private schools only get 80%. We should then be able to set up private health care under the same premise eh?

15Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

We likely need to change the politicians before we can have people in place who truly want to raise the education system out of mediocrity. Yes, if we can try to fix health care, we also fix this as well.

16Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The Manitoba Party would fix both,

17Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:The Manitoba Party would fix both,

Sign me up!

18Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 am

Anonymous

holly golightly wrote:
rosencrentz wrote:Does anyone have any data on the cost of public school versus private school?
That would be interesting!
Rosie, In the late 1980's the provincial government changed the way private schools were funded. Private schools now receive 80% of what the public school system receives (at one time it was nothing). So if a public school receives 1000/child, a private school will receive 800/child (these figures are just examples). BUT private schools also have the ability to charge per child attending the school anywhere from 3500/year to 6000/year depending on the school and the program. The public school does not have that option yet they still do produce some of the best and brightest in the province. My opinion of this is if the parents can afford to send their children to private school let them pay for it and the tax dollars should be wholly put towards the public school system. I don't much like the fact that I am paying my hard earned tax dollars and do not even have the opportunity for my kids to go to private school because we can't afford it.

And the man who did it owned a private school , Gary Filmon gee wonder why, his was going under and suddenly it made money and he sold it .

19Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 am

Anonymous

The obvious advantage that the private schools have is that they can fire crappy teachers.

20Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:30 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wasn't aware that private schools get 80% of what a public school gets! If that is the case how come it is so expensive to send a kid to a private school?
The better education I refer to is the 100% number that private school kids end up moving on to University, if you consider that a measure of success. That really isn't my measure!
A few things that are proof of the need for private schools is the fact that Pavola was educated at home, and DeanK thinks that I am a second class citizen because I cannot tie my shoelaces and I have someone phoning me every hour to tell me the time.
Private schools jam their students with more than twice the amount of learning compared to public schools. Weather that is a plus or minus is the question?
Who is to judge thier outcome?

21Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:07 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Ever think that it has nothing at all to do with the amount of education that the private school offers, but the actuallity of the child and parent being more driven to succeed in life?

22Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No!

23Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:36 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh... think about it now then Smile

24Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Anonymous

Deank wrote:Ever think that it has nothing at all to do with the amount of education that the private school offers, but the actuallity of the child and parent being more driven to succeed in life?
Bingo. Success in life has little to do with the schools, and often even with the private system, despite the schools.

25Why not privitize the school system? Empty Re: Why not privitize the school system? Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

OK, it has more to do with rotten, commie, parents, trying to make their kids neurotic, by lying to them about education being the way to succeed to a well paying medium type of job, such as teaching, lawyering, ( which could lead to being crown prosecutors and judges and worst case scenerio politicians, dentistry, Doctoring, nursing, all lies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum