the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

more taZer fun

+2
IG Guy
Deank
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1more taZer fun Empty more taZer fun Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090220/LOCAL0101/902200330/1015/LOCAL01
"

Noblesville Police Department Lt. Bruce Barnes, an instructor in the use of Tasers, said officers are trained to use the devices when lesser-force options are not available.

"You can use the Taser anytime anybody is punching, kicking or threatening to punch or kick," Barnes said. "We can use it when we tell someone to do something, they refuse, lesser-force options are not available and they are a credible threat to you."

Barnes declined to comment on whether the boy could have posed a credible threat to a police officer, saying he did not know the full circumstances of the incident."

the boy in question... 90lbs... 14 years old an autistic.

2more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Autistic? man the pigs are getting out control with this crap! Arrggghh Evil or Very Mad

3more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Anonymous

Another fcuken coward of a cop. Tasering a kid of 14 because he could.

4more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:27 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Autistic children do not feel physical pain in 97% of tasers!

http://www.elansofas.com

5more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 am

Anonymous

Is that funny?

6more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:52 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How does this thread get under the "business" classification?

http://www.elansofas.com

7more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:21 am

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

IG guy, JTF

i'm curious, how much experience do you guys have in dealing with autistic children, particularily ones that are having their outbursts?

i'm constantly amazed by some people on here who will jump at any chance to criticize any police officer while ignoring some basic facts, like the fact that this officer did not know the kid was autistic. this police force has a special unit for dealing with autistic children and if they had known he was they would have sent them.

http://www.cakefarter.com

8more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:36 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I know I likely could not tell if a child is autistic or has other mental health issues.

I can tell if the boy is a CHILD. I can tell that the child is NINETY POUNDS.

The following is most telling about the attitude of that police force regarding the use of a taser.

Noblesville Police Department Lt. Bruce Barnes, an instructor in the use of Tasers, said officers are trained to use the devices when lesser-force options are not available.

"You can use the Taser anytime anybody is punching, kicking or threatening to punch or kick," Barnes said. "We can use it when we tell someone to do something, they refuse, lesser-force options are not available and they are a credible threat to you."

Barnes declined to comment on whether the boy could have posed a credible threat to a police officer, saying he did not know the full circumstances of the incident.
That alone is all I need to pass judgement on this police force and how they handled this incident.

9more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

AdamX wrote:i'm constantly amazed by some people on here who will jump at any chance to criticize any police officer while ignoring some basic facts, like the fact that this officer did not know the kid was autistic. this police force has a special unit for dealing with autistic children and if they had known he was they would have sent them.
The police are a very polarizing group. Some people are uber-critical and will take every opportunity to sh1ite on them. Others are uber-protective and take the police are always right approach.

Then there are some that hold the police up to a very high standard as the police hold themselves up. We expect the police to do a good job. We don't want to hear of police abuse of power, be it taser deployment or getting away with drunk driving.

When we hear of instances where we believe that they abused their authority we respond passionately.

In the end I believe almost every citizen hold the police in high regard and would be very happy if they were only perfect at all times.

My humble view...

10more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 am

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

true enough grumpy, true enough

i dont think think all police are perfect by any means, but i guess having the perspective of an instructor that i do, i see most so called examples of police abusing their authority as ignorance at best, a witch hunt at worst.

this case, for example, i dont understand how people are so quick to blame the officer and call him a coward and a pig and say he is abusing his authority when he is just following training.
police are trained to treat teens as just as dangerous as an adult. There are many many cases of officers or other people being killed by teens because "they are only a child, and only 90 lbs". thats dangerous thinking for a cop.

in this case the officer saw a violent person and responded as he was trained. thats not the case of the officer being a coward or doing something just because he could.

being upset and looking for someone or something to blame is fine, just place the blame in the right spots is all i'm saying. most of these situations are a direct result of training and policies that are put in place by the higher ups.

11more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 am

Anonymous

Obviously the cop wasn't trained properly. Otherwise he would have been trained to deal with a kid like this in a much more appropriate way.

Beside, this "just following orders sh it" under the guise of "training" is a very poor defence imo.

12more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Anonymous

Well I will say that none of us were there and we don.t know exactly why , I see the point being made for both sides . I think as someone who has been involved in some very hairy situations with the police , involving guns . I might have some insight to there feelings , and those of the public .

As one poster said and I concur there is always a better way in hindsight , but hind sight was not there at the time . The police did not get away with the Taman incident because of police , they got away with it cause the system failed us . In the perfect world the police involved would have not been allowed to lose there notes , Bakeema would not have been allowed to oversee the event and the use of a impartial process would have taken over.

The world is not perfect and never will be ,saying that neither are we . the police are expected to go out with an x on there backs every day , and perform they do screw up every one can at what ever they do . Funny the the plea bargains that made this case happen, they still can happen . That is the justice system not the police to blame . As I have said before I am not pro cop but I don't blame them for what is not their fault .
Some of us have a grudge since there incident with the police and you probably have valid reason too. This is not reason to label all of them in the boat of venom you feel , as since then you have been full of it towards them . I don't remember the whole story but and I don't think it justifies this hate .

Some of you get on my case for being personal well some of you have made your argument just that. This is the last time I will adrees this issue I will try to stay out of this subject from now on . Iam tired of the pointlessness The facts have been well given and recieved , Good luck Adam X PM if you can .

13more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Anonymous

Hate and boat of venom???? Gimme a break! Rolling Eyes

14more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Anonymous

Sorry if it is the wrong words but it starts to sound like it , what would you call it .

15more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Anonymous

Sorry we are not supposed to debate just exchange thoughts and opions . I will leave it . No answere needed . Point taken This is silly .

16more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Anonymous

I'd call it a difference of opinion and a difference of interpretation.

17more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Anonymous

Okay no hard feelings I hope you know I don't attack you or your opinion. Just differ from it . Still respect it.

18more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Anonymous

No problemo from meo anywayo.

19more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:15 pm

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:Obviously the cop wasn't trained properly. Otherwise he would have been trained to deal with a kid like this in a much more appropriate way.

see JTF thats my point, this officer was NOT trained to deal with autistic kids. The department has a special unit that IS trained to deal with a kid like this, however for whatever reason they were not sent, and this particular officer didnt know that he was dealing with autism.

so how exactly is that the officers fault?

20more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Anonymous

But should not the officer side on caution as he was trained last time I heard . and why do any thing till back up arrives to help him handle it . That would be my comment to him when debriefing him .

21more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:32 pm

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

perfectly valid questions, and depends on the departments policies of course and whether the officer thought the kid might be autistic (which i doubt he did or he would have called the special unit). but at least ask these kinds of questions rather than just make comments like "Another fcuken coward of a cop. Tasering a kid of 14 because he could." which is just ignorant.

22more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Anonymous

What's ignorant is all the excusing you are doing.

Don't blame anyone. I bet you vote Liberal too.

23more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Anonymous

Ouch

24more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Anonymous

🤺

Wink ....all in good fun.

25more taZer fun Empty Re: more taZer fun Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Anonymous

It is always good fun till some one gets a stick in the eye. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]