the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

London Mayor phones Mayor Sam for Advice!

+4
Deank
grumpy old man
IG Guy
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yesterday, Mayor Sam received a phone call from the London Mayor, inquiring on what to do to clear snow from the streets without any snow clearing equipement!

Yea Winnipeg!!

http://www.elansofas.com

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

lol i know i read something about that and that the BBC pronounced Katz name as Cats. haha

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I volunteer to go to London to consult with the Lord Mayor.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

hey if they pay my way, i'll go and volunteer to shovel! lol

Anonymous

Katz will probably tell him to go to hell.

haha...just kidding lol!

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just needed to stir the pot.)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WINNIPEG — From cold Winnipeg to grey London, the message is: relax. It's winter, and it probably won't kill you. Both The Guardian newspaper and the British Broadcasting Corporation had the Manitoba capital on the brain after a blanket of snow wreaked havoc on traffic, business and public transportation across the southern U.K. earlier this week.

On Monday afternoon, BBC Radio 4 called up Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz to ask how Manitoba's capital manages to clear snow when London can't. "Their city has basically
been shut down," Katz said. "They wanted to know how (we) deal with it.

There was a public outcry and they wanted to blame somebody."On the air, Katz graciously told BBC listeners Winnipeg is adept at snow-clearing because the city is accustomed to snow and has equipment at the ready. London, which is usually rainy in early February, should not be faulted for failing to respond to unusual weather, Katz
suggested.

Katz said he isn't sure why the British media thinks of Winnipeg when they get hit with snow, as other North American cities receive far more snow over the course of a normal winter.

Winnipeg is merely blessed with North America's most efficient snow-clearing operation, said Katz before taking an oblique shot at Toronto."Other cities in North America, unlike Winnipeg, have had to call in the army when they have a problem," he said.
© Copyright (c) Winnipeg Free Press

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ZING!

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Or perhaps the Lord Mayor of London should have called Mike Davidson of CUPE, who would have told him to purchase millions of $$ worth of snow clearing equipment and then hire the staff to operate it. Never know when they'll need it again.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe we are more efficient because we have to deal with this CRAP every fricken year!!! Do I sound bitter??? I need a holiday...somewhere warm like Cuba.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

you could work on your tan...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Never had a desire to go to Cuba, but I can see that the change of weather would be great. Its also full of Communists and with their health care system, it certainly would feel like being at home, except warmer.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

"Winnipeg is merely blessed with North America's most efficient snow-clearing operation" quoted from article from Free Press.
Who are they trying to kid? And what other cities are they comparing this operation to is what I would love to know. Efficient my patootie.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Cuba is nice... Good cheap beer that you can buy at any street vendor on every street corner. which was a good system, because by the time you get from one street corner to the next its time for a new beer. lol that was a good trip!

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Now, if only Sammy would ask a favour in return... Like how to make a decent transit system for Winnipeg...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

holly golightly wrote:"Winnipeg is merely blessed with North America's most efficient snow-clearing operation" quoted from article from Free Press.
Who are they trying to kid? And what other cities are they comparing this operation to is what I would love to know. Efficient my patootie.

Its actually Sam.. and what is he supposed to say? He is trying to put an odd ass negative into a positive.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So global warming is now finished, as I saw a report that stated the 25 year variance caused by the sun's NORMAL path, or the Earth's path around the sun has finished, and since 1999 the world has been getting colder.
If the Earth is getting colder than why are we getting reports from Al Gore that all the ice is gone or going and the ice is melting faster , and that the average temperature in England last year was the 2nd codest ever!
So much bullcrap on every side of the argument!
The only thing that is for certain is if 2 trillion dollars was spent to try and control global warming, there would or could or might be a .2 of one degree difference. Well worth it!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't know how Winnipeg stacks up to any other city on snow removal. I've only witnessed two cities and Winnipeg wins hands down versus Toronto.

Winnipeggers are amazing whiners and we might well have a damn fine snow removal system. Can't tell by native Winnipegger standards. For those that do claim it is bad upon what first hand experience are you benchmarking? I sure hope no one comes back with a "I spent a week in Edmonton last year" benchmark. Please compare on an apples to apples basis.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think the snow clearing system is bad...I do think the weather is bad. Wink

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Winnipeg has great snow clearing! Ask sam Cats.
Winnipegers whine only from Nov to April when stuck in the house!

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

the only thing I hate is how they wait till the snow is hard packed then try and scrape it off, turning it to glared ice. lol beside that, top notch job! haha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum