the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor!

+5
GGF
Miz point
Jondo
USApegger
rosencrentz
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Katz calls for comprehensive Youth Advocate

[b]Winnipeg
– February 10th, 2010 – Committed to creating positive alternatives for at-risk youth, Mayor Sam Katz today presented a motion to Executive Policy Committee directing civic administration to take a holistic approach and provide an environmental scan of intervention programs that focus on preventing youth from joining gangs and making criminal lifestyle choices.

[/b]

http://www.elansofas.com

2Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Someone, please help me, what is Sam trying to do!

3Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

That's all he can do - the Mayor can't make or change laws that could otherwise address the growing problems we're seeing.

4Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

USApegger wrote:Someone, please help me, what is Sam trying to do!

Be holistic? Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Icon_smile Maybe Shammy has been attending those yoga seminars where folks hallucinate in a sealed tent?

That statement, for what it's worth - hmmmm, what was he saying again?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

5Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

For those of you who have not got any information at your figertips, Sam Katz has been helping out many of the core area groups to start and to expand their ability to help at-risk- youth!
In the short time that I have been trying to help Ralph Brown Community Center, there has been grant money for a new kitchen up grade-($125,000 from I think 4 donars), new playground equipement at 4 different North End locations, and this is the best one, he is turning over all stolen bikes to a brand new non profit volunteer organization,getting them space and grant money to take in and repair the bikes, and have the bikes given out through community centres , back into the communities where the kids don't have the money to buy bikes!
We are all critics of politicians, but when you se them doing "GREAT WORK", behind the scenes and with no media coverage, you see that they are trying to make a difference, and succeeding.
The only stuff we see in print is the crap about doing new stuff and 87% of Winnipeger's hate any change .
The media stuff is 87% crap!

6Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 am

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Ros said:
We are all critics of politicians, but when you se them doing "GREAT WORK", behind the scenes and with no media coverage, you see that they are trying to make a difference, and succeeding.
The only stuff we see in print is the crap about doing new stuff and 87% of Winnipeger's hate any change .
The media stuff is 87% crap!

1st Ros...
It all depends what one considers as "Great Work" on a subject matter regarding our politicians and or what "Success" may be by that same politician...and...

And 2nd...
The reason the media stuff is 87% crap is because the Media are "Being Generous" and "leaving out the other 13% of crap" that same politician may be doing...and...

And maybe because there just isn't enough time or space allowed by the media for more "Crap" from that same politician and or Sammy...GGF

7Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No time to debate "negative nannies", sorry!
Have you seen the great new budget? That sam Katz is a miracle worker, in getting things done with no money! It is a matter of his priorities that I am in agreement with! When he started his term, Winnipeg had very high taxes in comparison to other Cities, and now Wpg is in the lower bracket! The only downside is we have to take our garbage out the front and dump it in the Assiniboine River, which luckily for me is only 100 steps away! lol

8Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

City Budget offers 13th property tax freeze
City’s spending blueprint invests $817.6 million in priorities
This year’s budget continues to boost Winnipeg’s competitiveness with the City’s 13th consecutive property tax freeze, and expands the small business tax credit to remove the job killing business tax from 36% of the businesses in Winnipeg – while maintaining City services.

“We have laid the groundwork over the last few years to remain competitive and ensure that the priorities Winnipeggers expect are being addressed,” said Mayor Sam Katz. “This year’s budget continues to deliver steady investments in our City, and keeps Winnipeg’s taxes competitive on a national level.”

Budget highlights include:

No increase in property taxes for a 13th consecutive year – an unparalleled record unmatched by any Canadian municipality.

• Expansion of the tax credit for Winnipeg’s smallest businesses; 36% of businesses will get a full rebate of municipal business tax.
  • Civic services maintained.
  • 8 more police officers on the street.
  • 12 paramedics to provide additional ambulance services.
  • Investment in Assiniboine Park of $3.1 million.

• Increased library hours at an additional 3 library branches (Henderson, Pembina Trail and Westwood).

“I am pleased that we were able to hold the line on property taxes for the 13th straight year while maintaining or enhancing core services,” said Councillor Scott Fielding, Chair of the Standing Policy Committee on Finance. “This budget also allows for more police officers on the streets to enhance public safety for our citizens.”

Additionally, for the first time in a decade, the tabling of the preliminary operating budget was preceded by consultation sessions in which all Winnipeggers, businesses, community groups and associations were invited to participate. A feedback questionnaire was also developed for increased participation which allowed citizens to submit their input online as well.

The 2010 preliminary operating budget will continue to seek public participation through the process below:
For more information, please visit the Chief Financial Officer’s blog at http://winnipegcfo.wordpress.com/

9Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Forgot one Ros...

And you said in your previous post and this is the best one, he is turning over all stolen bikes to a brand new non profit volunteer organization,

And instead of Sammy "Auctioning off the stolen bikes" once a year and keeping the stolen bike $$$$$money$$$$$(proceeds of crime)as in the past...

And which now may be "Sammy's new holistic" approach which is to turn the bikes over to a non-profit organization or something instead...Hum?...

Yup!!!...You can do a lot of things with them proceeds when I start thinking about it...GGF

10Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"You can do a lot of things with them proceeds when I start thinking about it..."
The cost of the rental of the area for the auction.
The cost of the auction
The cost of moving all the bikes

how much money do you really think is "made" from the bike auction each year?

11Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:50 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank...how much money do you really think is "made" from the bike auction each year?

It's not the point Deank...
The process of the bike auction etc is what I am question and how it could have long ago been done very differently...GGF

12Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Not a very charitable person are you GGF......... these not for profit organizations don't just give the bikes away. They also provide some good work experience to people who are looking to get off welfare and get into the work force. They are helping out those who are looking for the hand up, not the hand out. As well they are showing the kids of the neighbourhood that sometimes doing a good deed (work for product) is worth it and they then appreciate what they have more than if it were a freebie.

13Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

GGF wrote:Deank...how much money do you really think is "made" from the bike auction each year?

It's not the point Deank...
The process of the bike auction etc is what I am question and how it could have long ago been done very differently...GGF
huh?

14Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

I understand Holly...

Now the bikes are given to the "non profit organizations" instead of previously being "Auctioned Off by the City"...and...

And now the non profit organizations are doing with the same bikes what can and probably should be done with the bikes...and...

And that is very different then the city keeping the "Proceeds from the Annual Bike Auctions" in the past...GGF

15Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

If I understand you GGF (which is rare)...you're in support of the new proposal for the NPO to get the bikes?

http://www.photage.ca

16Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Aces this one has always been a no brainer for me...and yes...The bikes should have long ago been put to a better use than be stored and Auctioned Off by the City and then who knows where the profits or losses went...and...

And what is ironic to all of it is that Sammy in one of his "rare moments of wisdom"...and...

And in an "Election Year" Sammy has finally come up with something that may be of some benefit to non-profit organizations and or many under privilege kids with his new "Holistic" approach to the subject matter...and...

And eitherway...Sammy has a long ways to go to address the bigger issue of crime and poverty within the city...GGF

17Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Interesting point though...listening to the CBC today...

I don't know who they were interviewing exactly, though I think it was the new Premier, and some lady from a taxation watch group.

The guy was talking about government as "finally" working within their means...ie. no deficit...the way businesses and families are supposed to.

The tax watch lady though...comes back with "but businesses run with deficits all the time"....WHAT?!?!?

She's supposedly supposed to be protecting the tax payers...and she's recommending the government run in a deficit...AND...she's recommending raising taxes!!!

She even supported the idea of a toll system for the new Disraeli Bridge....is she paid for by the taxpayers? How can we get rid of such a ridiculously STUPID person from recommending ANYTHING to the government?

18Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Aces...Here is a more interesting point...

Fees for "Consulting Services Reviewed" by the city being reviewed as in the FP story today and a link below...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/fees-for-consulting-services-reviewed-84557107.html

And or the most interesting of all points...

How many people make the connection that these "Consultants" hired by our governments and paid for by our tax dollars are the same "Spin Doctors" hired by our politicians to "Spin" whatever they want to "Spin at Us" including their own personal image/vision when necessary...and...

And the fancy word used is "Consultants" by all levels of governments including Wpg...and...

And which in reality "Consultants" are just "Spin Doctors"...GGF

19Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It's "exhausting" reading "those" posts...

It must take you "forever" to write your "posts" ggf... and...

20Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous

AA...are you sure the tax lady wasn't Rosann Wowchuk? Wink

21Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:AA...are you sure the tax lady wasn't Rosann Wowchuk? Wink

nope...not sure of anything...that name sounds familiar actually.

why? who's she? is she a tax lady?

22Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Anonymous

Heh heh...she's our Minister of Finance here in Manitiba.

23Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

ahh...maybe it was her...either way...is there any way to get rid of her? cause she seems like an idiot!!!

24Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Anonymous

It was my lame attempt at a joke. Embarassed

25Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Empty Re: Mayor Katz Is the Greatest Mayor! Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Regarding the bike auction money, the costs pretty well equalled the revenue, and then there were the many complaints from dumb-ass bidders who ended up paying $250 for a bike that was worth $119 new, and was in broken condition! The guys who are starting the non-profit organization, are all bike nuts, who are currntly running bike clinics in their different community centers.
I met a dozen of these guys who met at my store a few months ago, and all were excited about the chance to get good working bikes, into the different communities that needed them. This is such a great idea that Northender came up with 2 years ago, and was relayed to Sam Katz, who told me , leave it with me, I like the idea!
Katz has gotten space for free , via some tax credit, I believe for Shindleman, and some money from the Aspers to start up this venture! lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum